Odyssey of the seas. Is this ship the red headed step child?

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Have you ever researched a ship to see exactly how the shower door opens, how far the seats are from the buffet, if there is car art or not, exactly where the arcade games are placed, how much room there is from the desk when the couch is pulled out? Who does this kind of research? He was simply stating his observations.

thank you. 
I think some people take offense when someone doesn't like something on their favorite ship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

What you describe are the features of Quantum (Quantum, Anthem, Ovation) and Quantum Ultra (Spectrum, Odyssey) class ships.

Did you do any research before booking the ship?

yup research is important.   And it's not the builder, but the designer of the class.  oh well

And these ships are very much loved by a lot of people.  For me it's Anthem and I love the mascot giraffe. 

4 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

Sailed on her Nov. 23
So much is different compared to the common aspects of Royal ships.
Different shipbuilder? It seems like it was made to fit Royal's design.

This is just my observations

- No real promenade.  It's smaller and it feels more like carnival where it meanders.
- No car art like all the other ships, or at least the newer ships. I always take the kid's pics next to the car. 

The Freedom and Oasis class have those cars in the promenade to take photos of.  

The quantum has a much different setup and meant to be very different from the other classes.

The Seaplex was made to have a variety of sports indoors and the Two70 was meant to have a really great view of the aft and wake of the ship as well as all purpose entertainment venue with a nearby eatery as well. 

I think both of the last two classes of ships were meant to be different in a lot of areas.

Now we have ICON to check out and folks already feel like the promenade will be much improved with view of the ocean.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

I see you are in Oregon.  I sail out of Florida those ships are not down here.  

Good point. Anthem has been sailing out of Cape Liberty and the Quantum & Ovation are in Australia & Seattle(during Alaska cruising months).  But there aren’t any ships that close to us.

Quantum class ships seem to be very polarizing. People either love them or hate them. I love them. Right up there with Freedom and Voyager class as my favorites . Oasis class, while amazing from an engineering standpoint, are just not my cup of tea.

The J3 Junior Suites on Odyssey are great for families because they have one and a half bathrooms! That is such a great feature. We got a J3 on Odyssey through a last-minute upgrade and loved it. Since there is just 2 of us, we usually do the J4 Junior suite, which has the split bathroom but only one toilet. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Saoa0318 said:

Its my opinion they are designed to sail from more northern ports year round and offer more indoor venues.

However, Odyssey does not have an indoor pool like Quantum, Anthem & Ovation.

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Also, the Quantum Class has the best Windjammer IMO.

Everyone says that, but I personally think it's a confusing maze with no specific direction.  I guess I should have researched before booking the maiden voyage (8 night TA) on Quantum.   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

The shower door swings out and doesn't slide together.

The shower on Harmony swings out.  Also, the cabin, at least the CP balconies, are designed like the Anthem, at least the way the closets are placed vs the bed.

The big complaint when Quantum was introduced many on this board vehemently complained about the lack of a promenade and the 4 distinct restaurants.  The Quantum class has a 2 level Royal Esplanade.  The 4 distinct restaurants were designed to accommodate Dynamic Dining concept, which I miss so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

I'm going to bit my tongue on this comment.

I do tons of research and look at all the videos I can find.  
pictures and videos are one thing experience is another.   

Ah, another person who thought they could criticize something on Cruise Critic. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Odyssey is a bit funky. It’s Quantum class and largely built for the cold. But they removed the enclosed family pool. So it doesn’t really belong anywhere. It largely sails from Florida and the Med right now, where the outside family pools make sense but not really the multitude of indoor spaces and lack of large slides. Next, it will move to Cape Liberty, which also makes little sense. No enclosed family pool sailing from New York Metro in January?

I don’t know where exactly Odyssey belongs. I’d probably send it to Los Angeles. Not as hot as Florida (usually) and not as cold as New York. But, it’s a bit of a strange design. And it has one of those giant, largely-unused oranges off the back…

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Odyssey is a bit funky. It’s Quantum class and largely built for the cold. But they removed the enclosed family pool. So it doesn’t really belong anywhere. It largely sails from Florida and the Med right now, where the outside family pools make sense but not really the multitude of indoor spaces and lack of large slides. Next, it will move to Cape Liberty, which also makes little sense. No enclosed family pool sailing from New York Metro in January?

I don’t know where exactly Odyssey belongs. I’d probably send it to Los Angeles. Not as hot as Florida (usually) and not as cold as New York. But, it’s a bit of a strange design. And it has one of those giant, largely-unused oranges off the back…

that orange ball was closed and used for yoga not bouncing. Also, the VR attraction was closed and being removed.

7 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

that orange ball was closed and used for yoga not bouncing. Also, the VR attraction was closed and being removed.

Right, because of lawsuits. They need to find a more compelling use for such an eye-catching structure. 

13 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Everyone says that, but I personally think it's a confusing maze with no specific direction.  I guess I should have researched before booking the maiden voyage (8 night TA) on Quantum.   

To me it is the Windjammer that has the best flow.  Everyone is not in the same sections and it isn’t as crowded due to the layout.  

• Like 1

Sorry to OP if you experienced lots of flames here. But I'd like to add that sometimes picking the right Subject Line for posts net different results. To most, I'd imagine this subject comes off as flaming/trolling. That happens A LOT here, so expect to be on the defensive a bit!

As for Quantum class ships - love them! I remember when they first came out and all the complainers going on about how much movement they felt when at sea. I mean it was so so bad, how could these ships possibly stay afloat? I don't hear this much as an issue anymore, yet the ships haven't changed anything about them that would change their stability in open ocean.. 

• Like 3

I agree… I understand why Quantum was built as she was built. They are perfect for colder weather. We should see how Odyssey will work in NJ.

3 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

To me it is the Windjammer that has the best flow.  Everyone is not in the same sections and it isn’t as crowded due to the layout.  

We just got off Odyssey and this is the first time we never had an issue finding a seat (including departure morning).  Not sure if people were elsewhere, but it was a nice change.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

thank you. 
I think some people take offense when someone doesn't like something on their favorite ship.

I appreciate your observations. I have a preteen and was trying to determine if I really wanted to sail on Odyssey to the Southern Caribbean or wait for an Oasis class ship to go. I’ll wait. The things that you mentioned helped confirm that I made the right choice for my family. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

Sailed on her Nov. 23

- SportsPlex I liked the sports plex but it hides the back of the ship since you can't walk through it.
SportsPlex has a second floor and I think there was an elevator but it was hidden in the back. If you were in a wheelchair or couldn't climb stairs you probably would never go to Playmakers or the upstairs.

Our first time on Odyssey (I use a scooter), I could not find any way to get up to Playmakers, which did not make us very happy. I later heard someone tell me about the service/cargo elevator in the very back of the SportsPlex. So, we went back to find it and a staffer tells me that there is no elevator to get up there. I said, "oh yes there is and we'll show you." The 3 of us walked through the SportsPlex to the very back of the room and around a corner, where, lo and behold, there was the elevator! Haha! Royal's own employees did not know it was there! It was a slow ride up but we enjoyed going to Playmakers to watch NFL games, have a few drinks, and enjoy the delicious wings and tower of onion rings!! Not sure why they don't let others know about this and wonder how many have been unable to enjoy Playmakers on Odyssey! Be aware though, there are no restrooms up there (at least there weren't when we were there last year! Totally ridiculous planning; a sports bar with no restroom! Happy cruising! Cheers!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

Sailed on her Nov. 23

- SportsPlex I liked the sports plex but it hides the back of the ship since you can't walk through it.
SportsPlex has a second floor and I think there was an elevator but it was hidden in the back. If you were in a wheelchair or couldn't climb stairs you probably would never go to Playmakers or the upstairs.

Our first time on Odyssey (I use a scooter), I could not find any way to get up to Playmakers, which did not make us very happy. I later heard someone tell me about the service/cargo elevator in the very back of the SportsPlex. So, we went back to find it and a staffer tells me that there is no elevator to get up there. I said, "oh yes there is and we'll show you." The 3 of us walked through the SportsPlex to the very back of the room and around a corner, where, lo and behold, there was the elevator! Haha! Royal's own employees did not know it was there! It was a slow ride up but we enjoyed going to Playmakers to watch NFL games, have a few drinks, and enjoy the delicious wings and tower of onion rings!! Not sure why they don't let others know about this and wonder how many have been unable to enjoy Playmakers on Odyssey! Be aware though, there are no restrooms up there (at least there weren't when we were there last year! Totally ridiculous planning; a sports bar with no restroom! Happy cruising! Cheers!