New to suite life--ideas and suggestions welcome / 5 Day Los Angeles--Los Cabos / February 10th

pugetmandm

We are coming off a very challenging year so decided at the last minute to splurge on our very first suite.  Since this will be a new experience for us, please give us your best and brightest tips to help us get the most from our experience. 

What do you wish you were told before you did this the first time?

A couple if questions--do we still need to buy drink packages? wifi packages? 

We welcome any and all advice! Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you're a drinker, then a package might be worthwhile.  Look at Princess Plus.  We find it to be a good value.  Includes 15 alcoholic beverages up to $15 (you pay the difference if the drink is over that), wifi, and tips. With a suite, you do get a mini-bar setup.  A few beers, a few sodas, 6 or 8 mini-bottles of liquor. You can swap out for things you line - alcohol for alcohol, soda for soda...

The best tip is to be sure to take advantage of the Suite Breakfast in either the Crown Grill or Sabatinis - it depends on the ship.  A Relaxed, pampered breakfast is a nice way to start the day. Can't go wrong with starting the day with mimosas!

Also get a complementary specialty dining the first night.  You need to wait until you board to reserve it.  If you do it before hand, you'll need to pay upfront and then get refunded once on board.

There's a lounge that the setup in the evening for Suite, and well traveled guests.  Nothing special.

Most folks seem to dislike the canapes.  

Edited by jmelnick
  • Like 1

Have you booked the suite yet? I wish someone had told me about the differences in the forward Lido suites vs the aft suites. If I could go back in time, all my suite bookings would be aft.

• Like 2

The aft suites tend to have larger balconies. You will have a mini bar setup, free laundry (might not help for a short cruise), free embarkation night specialty dining etc. It does not include Wi-Fi, drinks or gratuities for those you either separately or purchase a package 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the SWEET suite life! We will be on the cruise right after you. A few tips:

1. Be sure to ask where the full suite/Elite boarding area is. You should board in the first group.

2. Yes, eat at Sabatini's for breakfast - worth it!

3. You have Club Class Dining which is in the Skagway Dining Room on Deck 6 from what I remember.

4. Enjoy free drinks and snicky-snacks/happy hours in the suite lounge on deck 14.

5. Book the 360 dining experience in the App - it is free for you. You also get a free specialty dining the first night so book that now too.

6. You get a free mini bar set up in your cabin that you are able to switch out for wine or bottles that you prefer.

7. Take advantage of the free laundry if needed.

8. The concierge is available to assist you in booking/changing reservations.

9. Sign up for the Chef's table if you want to do that at guest services right when. you board. I prefer 360 but that is a personal choice. You do pay for Chef's NOT 360.

Drinks are not included except during the suite happy hour. They do have coffee available there all day though.

Wifi Not included.

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jmelnick said:

Also get a complementary specialty dining the first night.  You need to wait until you board to reserve it.  If you do it before hand, you'll need to pay upfront and then get refunded once on board.

No. The App makes it seem like you will be charged but the charge will be zero. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

There is no need to book in advance tables are set aside for suites. Also the 360 dinner is only on 2 ships, the suite lounge and concierge only on Royal class ships. Since the OP did not say which ship this should be noted

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jmelnick said:

Free drinks during happy hour? When did they start this? I've always had to pay or put it on the drink package.

The are referring to the suite lounge which is only found on Royal class ships with limited menus 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, memoak said:

There is no need to book in advance tables are set aside for suites. Also the 360 dinner is only on 2 ships, the suite lounge and concierge only on Royal class ships. Since the OP did not say which ship this should be noted

I always prebook so I can get the date/time I prefer. He will be on the Discovery because I know that it is sailing to Cabo right before my cruise.

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmelnick said:

Free drinks during happy hour? When did they start this? I've always had to pay or put it on the drink package.

The Discovery Suite Lounge offers this (limited selections) in their suite lounge.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, akeasley said:

Have you booked the suite yet? I wish someone had told me about the differences in the forward Lido suites vs the aft suites. If I could go back in time, all my suite bookings would be aft.

Yes, there was only one (aft) suite left.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Welcome to the SWEET suite life! We will be on the cruise right after you. A few tips:

1. Be sure to ask where the full suite/Elite boarding area is. You should board in the first group.

2. Yes, eat at Sabatini's for breakfast - worth it!

3. You have Club Class Dining which is in the Skagway Dining Room on Deck 6 from what I remember.

4. Enjoy free drinks and snicky-snacks/happy hours in the suite lounge on deck 14.

5. Book the 360 dining experience in the App - it is free for you. You also get a free specialty dining the first night so book that now too.

6. You get a free mini bar set up in your cabin that you are able to switch out for wine or bottles that you prefer.

7. Take advantage of the free laundry if needed.

8. The concierge is available to assist you in booking/changing reservations.

9. Sign up for the Chef's table if you want to do that at guest services right when. you board. I prefer 360 but that is a personal choice. You do pay for Chef's NOT 360.

Drinks are not included except during the suite happy hour. They do have coffee available there all day though.

Wifi Not included.

I'm stunned (but delighted) to hear that the 360 is included--when I went to sign up, the charge was almost $300, but I'm hearing that will be refunded?

Edited by pugetmandm
left something out

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, pugetmandm said:

I'm stunned to hear that the 360 is included--when I went to sign up, the charge was almost $300, but I'm hearing that will be refunded?

For me I was not charged. The final amount showed $0.00. Now I also have the Premier package but I do not think that includes free 360.

Edited by HBCcruiser

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

even on a 5 day cruise?

I know 4 days don’t have one but thought longer ones did. Could be 6 days or more. I rarely sail less than 10 days unless it is part of a back to back. On a 4 day in September we were given a free dinner to make up for no most traveled luncheon 

Edited by memoak

18 minutes ago, memoak said:

I know 4 days don’t have one but thought longer ones did. Could be 6 days or more. I rarely sail less than 10 days unless it is part of a back to back. On a 4 day in September we were given a free dinner to make up for no most traveled luncheon 

this states 6 days or more ... but we got one comped once on a 4 day when the dine line called us by mistake to book the time - we showed up - and it was honored anyway

Indulge in extra comforts (princess.com)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pugetmandm said:

We are coming off a very challenging year so decided at the last minute to splurge on our very first suite.  Since this will be a new experience for us, please give us your best and brightest tips to help us get the most from our experience. 

What do you wish you were told before you did this the first time?

A couple if questions--do we still need to buy drink packages? wifi packages? 

We welcome any and all advice! Thanks in advance

For us, aft is the place to be. Sometimes it is not possible so we have other second choices. But we make sure it is a larger balcony and at least partially covered.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Interesting.  Our first cruise in a suite was the same 5-day Cabo San Lucas itinerary.  This was some years ago on the Ruby Princess.  I see that you are cruising on the Discovery Princess--a newer ship with a few more amenities.

• Definitely take advantage of the Suite Concierge Lounge.  It is a nice getaway from the hubbub of many of the other venues.  It always has coffee, tea, juices and small noshes.  There is a "happy hour" in the late afternoon.  The concierge can be very helpful arranging specialty dinners or excursions.  He/She can also help with problems such as billings.  I mentioned an issue with the toilet in our cabin and within 20 minutes a plumber was knocking at our door.

• I don't think you will be offered a complimentary specialty dinner on embarkation day.  I am pretty sure that it is only available on cruises that are six days or longer.  However, there is no harm asking the Concierge and, if you get it, then you can come back here and call me a liar.  😉

• The Suite Breakfast is definitely better than going to the dining room.  It is a "restaurant experience" and can be enjoyed at your own pace.  I have an issue with the dining room experience in that I feel there is a rush for me to order, eat and get out--especially, during breakfast.  I find it hard to even get my coffee refilled in the dining room.  No such problem in the Suite Breakfast.  The staff is happy to let you linger.  They will stop by and ask if you would like anything more, and they are happy to refill your coffee cup.  I did surprise a server once.  Right after being seated, she asked if I would like something to drink.

I responded, "Yes.  Coffee, please."

She had a somewhat confused look on her face, and asked "What kind of coffee?"

Now, I was confused.  "Black?"

Well, that worked.  She brought me a cup and a carafe.  Apparently, most patrons at the Suite Breakfast drink specialty coffees or mimosas or, I suppose, both.

Mrs. XBGuy likes to sleep late every day, and, so, I am, pretty much alone for breakfast.  To be honest, the Suite Breakfast thing is not that much fun by myself.  So, I usually grab breakfast at the buffet.  On our one suite cruise on a Royal Class ship such as the Discovery Princess, she found that she enjoyed having pastries and tea in the Concierge Lounge for her breakfast.

• Also on our one Royal Class cruise we were in Suite B101--a forward-facing suite.  It was fantastic.  Do not obsess about whatever the "best suite" might be.  The worst one we have ever been in was wonderful.

• This may or may not appeal to you, but as suite passengers order room service off the dining room menu.  So, if you decide you want to have dinner in your suite, and you would like to have expanded choices for your dinner, you can review the menu that is offered that evening in the dining room and have your choices delivered to your suite.

However, be aware that that everything that you order will be delivered together in covered dishes.  So, if you order two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts, six covered plates will be delivered, and you will serve yourself as you progress through the courses.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise.  I am envious.

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Interesting.  Our first cruise in a suite was the same 5-day Cabo San Lucas itinerary.  This was some years ago on the Ruby Princess.  I see that you are cruising on the Discovery Princess--a newer ship with a few more amenities.

• Definitely take advantage of the Suite Concierge Lounge.  It is a nice getaway from the hubbub of many of the other venues.  It always has coffee, tea, juices and small noshes.  There is a "happy hour" in the late afternoon.  The concierge can be very helpful arranging specialty dinners or excursions.  He/She can also help with problems such as billings.  I mentioned an issue with the toilet in our cabin and within 20 minutes a plumber was knocking at our door.

• I don't think you will be offered a complimentary specialty dinner on embarkation day.  I am pretty sure that it is only available on cruises that are six days or longer.  However, there is no harm asking the Concierge and, if you get it, then you can come back here and call me a liar.  😉

• The Suite Breakfast is definitely better than going to the dining room.  It is a "restaurant experience" and can be enjoyed at your own pace.  I have an issue with the dining room experience in that I feel there is a rush for me to order, eat and get out--especially, during breakfast.  I find it hard to even get my coffee refilled in the dining room.  No such problem in the Suite Breakfast.  The staff is happy to let you linger.  They will stop by and ask if you would like anything more, and they are happy to refill your coffee cup.  I did surprise a server once.  Right after being seated, she asked if I would like something to drink.

I responded, "Yes.  Coffee, please."

She had a somewhat confused look on her face, and asked "What kind of coffee?"

Now, I was confused.  "Black?"

Well, that worked.  She brought me a cup and a carafe.  Apparently, most patrons at the Suite Breakfast drink specialty coffees or mimosas or, I suppose, both.

Mrs. XBGuy likes to sleep late every day, and, so, I am, pretty much alone for breakfast.  To be honest, the Suite Breakfast thing is not that much fun by myself.  So, I usually grab breakfast at the buffet.  On our one suite cruise on a Royal Class ship such as the Discovery Princess, she found that she enjoyed having pastries and tea in the Concierge Lounge for her breakfast.

• Also on our one Royal Class cruise we were in Suite B101--a forward-facing suite.  It was fantastic.  Do not obsess about whatever the "best suite" might be.  The worst one we have ever been in was wonderful.

• This may or may not appeal to you, but as suite passengers order room service off the dining room menu.  So, if you decide you want to have dinner in your suite, and you would like to have expanded choices for your dinner, you can review the menu that is offered that evening in the dining room and have your choices delivered to your suite.

However, be aware that that everything that you order will be delivered together in covered dishes.  So, if you order two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts, six covered plates will be delivered, and you will serve yourself as you progress through the courses.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise.  I am envious.

Also unless you are in an owners suite you will not have a dining room table so you will either eat room service meals at the coffee table or carry it out to the balcony 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Having been in suites for our past 6 cruises and our next four, I can tell you that this is not always the case.  We have been charged for some and not for others.  However, it is easier to have the Concierge assist with getting your money refunded as obc than to deal with Guest Services.

• Like 1

I'm more disappointed by what is (apparently) no longer part of the suite benefits:

daily water?

fresh flowers?

fruit basket?

Among others.

The list on Princess is pared down to very basic extras. If you're Elite, you already get several of them.

A bigger cabin and Sabatini's breakfast is nice, tho'.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I'm more disappointed by what is (apparently) no longer part of the suite benefits:

daily water? - available

fresh flowers? - maybe

fruit basket? - yes or order one

Among others.

The list on Princess is pared down to very basic extras. If you're Elite, you already get several of them.

same day laundry

tea in stateroom (elite perk too)

full MDR meals to cabin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiRonT said:

Having been in suites for our past 6 cruises and our next four, I can tell you that this is not always the case.  We have been charged for some and not for others.  However, it is easier to have the Concierge assist with getting your money refunded as obc than to deal with Guest Services.

Interesting. I am only on a 4-day Coastal cruise, have the Premier package which includes 2 free specialty dining package yet I was able to book three specialties plus 360 without being charged. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

daily water?

fresh flowers?

fruit basket?

Among others.

These are all available in full suites. Water is brought every day or sometimes in groups of 4. Fruit basket is always there on sailing day (we always have it taken away. There will be one small flower but not a huge bouquet 

We have sailed in suites the last 2 years (4-5 a year) and always had these items

• Like 6