Cruise or land beach vacay for Feb? Which would you pick?

aimcat

My fiancé and I are coming up with an idea for a 4 night vacay for Feb 2024 that we have time off for...yes kind of last minute for some but this is how we roll because we never know when we can be away from work for sure...

So a little back info here...last March we went on a cruise...my 9th and his 1st...well, we had a horrible time and left that cruise hating cruises. We got sick the 2nd to last night of the cruise, got home to find out (went to Dr) we had Flu type A (worst flu strain) and were the sickest we have been for over a week and bad cough, etc for a month after. However, yes of course we would hate it because we got so sick so considering giving it all another go again.

Also have considered going with a land vacay...like Miami, Ft Lauderdale - we have been here before several times. Places where I consider it warmer this time of year but we have never been is Siesta Key, Sanibel - anywhere south Florida basically I would be open to.

With this being said what would you guys do or recommend?

We live in SWFL in Ft Myers, and generally have a week long Caribbean island resort or a cruise booked so we can get away from Florida in Jan or Feb.

Our area is still impacted from Hurricane Ian, so an island resort or cruise is preferable to staying "home".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aimcat said:

My fiancé and I are coming up with an idea for a 4 night vacay for Feb 2024 that we have time off for...yes kind of last minute for some but this is how we roll because we never know when we can be away from work for sure...

So a little back info here...last March we went on a cruise...my 9th and his 1st...well, we had a horrible time and left that cruise hating cruises. We got sick the 2nd to last night of the cruise, got home to find out (went to Dr) we had Flu type A (worst flu strain) and were the sickest we have been for over a week and bad cough, etc for a month after. However, yes of course we would hate it because we got so sick so considering giving it all another go again.

Also have considered going with a land vacay...like Miami, Ft Lauderdale - we have been here before several times. Places where I consider it warmer this time of year but we have never been is Siesta Key, Sanibel - anywhere south Florida basically I would be open to.

With this being said what would you guys do or recommend?

You couldn’t pay me to vacation in Florida. I’ve been many times over many years and, basically, it’s like an extended trip to a hot/humid WalMart parking lot.

Same goes for most cruises in the Caribbean (particularly on some mass market floating amusement park headed to their money grabbing “private islands”).

The “exotic island cruising” that so many of us older folks remember still exists. 

Before you decide on land vs sea, consider premium/luxury lines on ships with <1500 passengers (better still, make that <750), inclusive pricing, great crew and space ratios and excellent food/service/amenities.

Add to that truly exotic destinations like Kauai in Hawaii or French Polynesia (or a host of other island locations worldwide) and plan a OW cruise between two locations with brief land stays at either end.

Apparently Flatbush Flyer missed the part where the OP was looking for a 4 day getaway.  You're unlikely to get more than a Bahamas party boat out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale in that length of time. If you want decent weather, but aren't open to flying to the Caribbean, then find somewhere as far south in Florida that you can get - further south than Miami.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mom says said:

Apparently Flatbush Flyer missed the part where the OP was looking for a 4 day getaway.  You're unlikely to get more than a Bahamas party boat out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale in that length of time. If you want decent weather, but aren't open to flying to the Caribbean, then find somewhere as far south in Florida that you can get - further south than Miami.

Didn’t miss the 4 days comment. Just trying to broaden OP’s unrealistic horizons. As far as cruises go, 4 days is barely a boat ride.

• Like 1

February, even in south Florida, can be chilly.  Any 3 or 4 day cruise (aside from likely being a booze fest stopping at a (possibly chilly) Bahamas port.  Think about flying to  San Juan - beautiful old city, good beaches, pretty certain warm weather.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

A Cancun all-inclusive might be worth looking at.

Thought of that but he doesnt have a passport and might be pushing it to get one by Feb

3 hours ago, aimcat said:

Thought of that but he doesnt have a passport and might be pushing it to get one by Feb

It would be a lot more than “pushing it”.

That’s why San Juan might work.

Edited by navybankerteacher

4 hours ago, aimcat said:

It's possible to do it using the urgent process where he goes to a passport office in person, but even if you live very close to one of those offices, it's not worth the hassle for a 4-day break. 

Florida can be chilly or can be pleasantly warm in February. You can go to the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico without a passport (check requirements - one thing I saw said you need a birth certificate and photo ID, but I didn't find a .gov cite to confirm that). 

Unless you want a booze cruise, I wouldn't recommend a 4-day cruise. 

• Like 3

What I would do with four days off would definitely not be a cruise. 

If you can get an early flight going out, and a later flight going back, to optimize the time you have, I agree with US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. Book an all inclusive and enjoy.

• Like 2

Still having a little PTSD from our cruise last year, lol. We came off of that cruise the sickest we have ever been in our life. Something we picked up on the cruise and rarely get sick otherwise. 😞

3 minutes ago, aimcat said:

Still having a little PTSD from our cruise last year, lol. We came off of that cruise the sickest we have ever been in our life. Something we picked up on the cruise and rarely get sick otherwise. 😞

At this time of year, it's not really uncommon to get sick if you're spending any time indoors with other people. I've gotten sick on cruises twice - and it sounds like one of those experiences was like yours, totally ruined the whole vacation.

If you want to avoid getting sick and have a getaway, my suggestion would be to drive to South Florida (don't fly, lots of people hacking & coughing) and stay in a resort. The weather may not be hot but how much that bothers you depends on where you're coming from. If you're Canadian, you won't care. If you're from Atlanta you may think otherwise. (I'm Canadian but we lived in Florida for several years and on days when we wouldn't go near the beach without a coat and jeans, my Canadian relatives were in the water 🤣)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Dominican Republic all inclusive is my suggestion.

A passport is needed to visit the DR. OPs fiancé doesn't have one. USVI or PR would be possible, if willing to spend that much on airfare for 4 nights.

Edited by mom says