Tipping

junieh

On 2/2/2024 at 11:16 AM, PATRLR said:

This came up a while ago and at the time I didn't believe it so I talked to my friends at Google.  I learned that they had never seen NCL give it a proper name of "Discretionary Service Charge" (as you know), they only had record of it on NCL sites as described that way in a few places.  But the fascinating thing is just how many non-NCL sites (bloggers, news, forums, etc) changed NCL's descriptive term ("a discretionary service charge") into a formal name ("Discretionary Service Charge").  

There is a marketing lesson in there and I am sure the name was changed precisely to break that connection to "discretionary" (and for our convenience, of course).

When _I_ use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it

means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less.' LOL

And its is NOT discretionary... reading the NCL FAQs-- Haven pax pay $25 pp pd before paying Butler

"

What is the onboard service charge?

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges?

For bookings made on or after January 1, 2023:

• $25.00 USD per person per day for The Haven and Suites;
  • $20.00 USD per person per day for Club Balcony Suite and below;

2 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

And its is NOT discretionary... reading the NCL FAQs-- Haven pax pay $25 pp pd before paying Butler

"

What is the onboard service charge?

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges?

For bookings made on or after January 1, 2023:

• $25.00 USD per person per day for The Haven and Suites;
  • $20.00 USD per person per day for Club Balcony Suite and below;

Anyone can remove it from their bill if they are so inclined. It is not mandatory

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Anyone can remove it from their bill if they are so inclined. It is not mandatory

Has anyone ever adjusted their DSC? How do you go about doing it? I am a huge fan of extremely large tips, or extremely low tips (ranging from 0-100%+) for good service. I would prefer to allocate my tips according to where I get good service and give cash.

1 minute ago, CroozeNoob said:

Has anyone ever adjusted their DSC? How do you go about doing it? I am a huge fan of extremely large tips, or extremely low tips (ranging from 0-100%+) for good service. I would prefer to allocate my tips according to where I get good service and give cash.

100% of what??

6 minutes ago, CroozeNoob said:

I intend on not paying the DSC, and paying it as I see fit. How do I cancel it?

You can't.  You pay the service charges and ask NCL for reimbursement after completion of the cruise.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

You can't.  You pay the service charges and ask NCL for reimbursement after completion of the cruise.

That’s not how to do it, but I’m not going to tell someone how. They can dig through the boards to find the answer, it’s been explained dozens of times.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CroozeNoob said:

I intend on not paying the DSC, and paying it as I see fit. How do I cancel it?

How are going to tip your cook? The laundry guy? The person that keeps the public bathrooms spotless?

croozenoob: you go down to guest services, tell them you wish to either cancel or decrease the dsc. they will give you a form to fill out and sign, and voila! it's done. just dont wait until the last minute

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, zqvol said:

That’s not how to do it, but I’m not going to tell someone how. They can dig through the boards to find the answer, it’s been explained dozens of times.

Yes, but it's more fun to make things confused and difficult for this poster.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, but it's more fun to make things confused and difficult for this poster.

I fully agree, as these posts are full of pages of useless bickering from people like you, making it near impossible to search this thread, let alone a full forum of this garbage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CroozeNoob said:

I fully agree, as these posts are full of pages of useless bickering from people like you, making it near impossible to search this thread, let alone a full forum of this garbage.

Do whatever you like.  Big tips, no tips, 0%, 100%, $1, $20...  it's no business of mine.  It's just the way you rationalize it all that grates.

2 hours ago, CroozeNoob said:

Do what complaywer said. Ignore the rest.

• Like 2

d9704011.

while i totally concede everyone has the right to tip or not, and yes, this issue has been discussed ad infinitum, (i have almost 3500 posts) and it has always been my impression that this forum was designed to assist people with questions they may have regarding ncl's cruises/prices/ and practices.

if i have had the experience to answer the question, i'll try and help. if not i proceed to the next question.

so, that being said, why the hostility in your answer, if you dont want to help, or you dont know the answer,  please dont clog up these pages with your non-answer

zvqol, sometimes its not time efficient to go through all the previous posts.  you came across as sounding childish. (i know, but i'm not going to tell you! neener neener)

and my good friend cruiseny4life... thank you for the back up!

• Like 4