? Tipping with beverage package

krillsister

I would say most don't. There's a gratuity in the package. In fact, if you're on the package and ordering within the package, you probably won't even be presented a check, and if you're ordering from a server rather than sitting at the bar, they'll likely be gone before you'd have a chance anyway.

George must be chasing them down with a wad of bills! 😁

We do. We take our drinking seriously, which is why we tip extra. 😁 

I know the drink package has the tips built in, but it feels right to give extra for the great service, well- made drinks and friendliness of the vast majority of bartenders. 

We start at  $1 per drink per person, and if after a day or so things are awesome or we are spending more time at a particular bar, we'll throw $5 in randomly. The exception is this....if after a couple of days there's a bartender who consistently stinks, we'll stop tipping  extra to that one person. That is RARE. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I fear triple tipping is coming in 2025. Once when you pay for the package. Again when you sit down so you get good service and then finally a third time when you get your drink. Why?  Well just because others tell me I should.   😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

We do. We take our drinking seriously, which is why we tip extra. 😁 

I know the drink package has the tips built in, but it feels right to give extra for the great service, well- made drinks and friendliness of the vast majority of bartenders. 

We start at  $1 per drink per person, and if after a day or so things are awesome or we are spending more time at a particular bar, we'll throw $5 in randomly. The exception is this....if after a couple of days there's a bartender who consistently stinks, we'll stop tipping  extra to that one person. That is RARE. 

Same with us and right or wrong we always get outstanding service. Yes there are gratuities included in the drink package but I am doubtful that server gets it. We  like to show our appreciation for the outstanding service we receive and I like the outstanding service!!! 

• Like 2

Anything for which I have or will automatically tip, I will not tip more. In the old days (25 years ago) there was no auto tipping, and no extra “packages” that included tip. On the last evening of the cruise, tipping envelopes appeared in our room for our waiter (in the days of fixed seating and time) and our room steward. There was a publicized suggested tip, and we complied with the suggestion or more. But people from other countries did not tip. It is not part of their culture. And some US people skipped out on dinner the last night (when waiters were tipped). So the lines adopted auto tipping — added to your ship’s bill. And in lines that sell drink packages, a tip is added to the price. We prefer to cruise under situations where our tips are included in the fare, or in a package we buy. In this case, we tip nothing more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, krillsister said:

Was wondering do you still tip for each drink if you have a beverage package?

Yes, the standard per drink gratuity is added on the full price of the drink per drink for example on a premium package:

Drink                                 $20

Gratuity 20%                     $4

Subtotal                            $24

Less Premium Package - $17 (Max per drink)

Final Cost                         $7.00

Unless they went way above and beyond in the serving of said beverage, which I have never seen, no need to add additional.

4 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Yes, the standard per drink gratuity is added on the full price of the drink per drink for example on a premium package:

Unless they went way above and beyond in the serving of said beverage, which I have never seen, no need to add additional.

Actually the math is as such:

drink $20 - package allowance $17 = $3 + 20% = $3.60. Not $7

Edited by CaroleSS

2 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

No, gratuities are always on the full amount so $20+$4 = $24 - $17 = $7.

Edited by ScottC4746

You already paid 20% of the $17 when you bought the package.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaroleSS said:

You already paid 20% of the $17 when you bought the package.

My last cruise in 2022 on Solstice they added per drink.  I will look and monitor when I go on Edge in May.

The package already includes the 20%, and whether you get the package by booking AI or purchasing it outright you have already paid for the drink and gratuity.

if you have a $17 limit and order a $20 drink you are charged the $3.00 plus 20%, a additional $3.60 including tip.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Your math is wrong. 

31 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

your math is correct. 

• Like 4

In the past, we've always sailed Celebrity with the AI package, beverage, grats, & internet.  We've always tipped the beverage guys1$ a drink, and have always gotten great service and good pours.  Funny thing, when you walk up to the bar, your drinks are prepared as if you were the next in line.  We give the sommelier cash tip at the end of the cruise.

Our next three sailings we have no packages so will just pay the required auto tip on our drinks, except for those who give extra pours.  😁  During the 5-7 happy hour, will tip the bartender/server1$ a drink.

55 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Each poster's math was correct, it's just that one poster failed the story problem. 

Each poster's arithmetic was correct. Arithmetic and problem solving are both part of mathematics, so the first person I quoted did get the math wrong.