Semi-Live MSC Meraviglia 11-night Caribbean round trip from NYC (Jan. 15, 2024)

PistolPete13

Did a quick scan on the TV and it seems like TCM is the only free movie channel of any sort.  That’s a little annoying. 

we’re 40 mins late for sail away so far.  Not sure what the issue is but it’s cold outside!

Hope you will like MSC. The different between NCL and MSC with dining is MSC, you do not have to line up. Some people mentioned that MSC have good pizza in the buffet. Yeah, wished that MSC have more options for 1st day on board ... only the buffet is open. Looking forward to your review. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 12:03 PM, PistolPete13 said:

Why do people insist on crowding at the boarding entrance waiting for their group to be called?  Causes a traffic jam. 

Did you think airport gates are the only place that would happen? On your way back take the Staten Island Ferry, now that is a line up at the gate of all line ups 😉

• Haha 5

On 1/15/2024 at 11:32 AM, PistolPete13 said:

just push your luggage under the ropes into the next line.  By the time you reach it, rinse and repeat for the next row.  Bingo no need to lug your trash. 

The real cheat code is to just check your bags with the porters... I can never understand why people drag their luggage all through the terminal and security at check-in when you can just have your bags delivered to your room for free... 

Glad to see another request NCL cruiser trying out MSC. Interested to follow along with your review and get your thoughts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Did you think airport gates are the only place that would happen? On your way back take the Staten Island Ferry, now that is a line up at the gate of all line ups 😉

@Brighton Line I remember the D used to be the Brighton Line. Then one day the B became the Brighton Line and the D switched to running on the B line. Still confuses me when I visit family because the D was so ingrained in my head.

• Haha 1

Just arrived in Cape Canaveral, it's 53 degees and COLD.

Here are my random thoughts from the first 2 days so far:

Boarding took about two hours from arrival at the terminal unless you have priority.  The one good thing about MSC compared to NCL is that you’re allowed to go directly to your room to leave your bags outside the room even if the room isn’t ready.  Rooms were announced ready around 1PM and they needed to be because the 2PM muster drill (3PM sailing) involved watching a video from the room and calling in using the phone in the room before you go out to get your card scanned at the muster station.

The only place that was open with food on embarkation day was the buffet so you can imagine what a zoo it was.  I didn’t see any line cutting or rudeness as reported by others but it’s only the first day!  The was a lot of standing around and indecisiveness at the various stations however.  The good thing is that the stations repeat the same food further in the buffet as you walk.  No need to congregate up front!

The food itself didn’t have a lot of variety compared to NCL.  Given the steady rise of food prices I would expect this to be the norm moving forward unfortunately.

As for the quality?  I had no issues with everything I grabbed except for the seafood paella.  It was basically rice with some microscopic krill, err, shrimp bits.  That was still fine until I tasted it.  The best way to describe it was that it tasted like what a fish market would smell like.  Humm.  I even checked with a friend who owns a seafood restaurant and he said it seems like it could’ve been left out too long.

We finally sailed away about an hour late as they kept making announcements to track down the muster drill no shows.  I’m sorry but the Brooklyn pier sail away is very lackluster compared to the Pier 88 sail away.  I’m a little biased because I’ve been taking the Staten Island ferry back and forth for work going on 27 years now so I may be a bit jaded.  The ship basically takes the same path soon after leaving the Brooklyn pier.  For the out of town folks, you’re not going to get very close to the Statue of Liberty at all.  Come in a day early and take a ride on the Staten Island ferry of you want a good look without actually going onto Liberty Island.  

Was for the city skyline, yeah, you’re too far away with a phone camera unless you’re carrying a brick of a camera like I was to zoom things in.  You’ll see once I upload all my photos.

Housekeeping procedures.  MSC wants you to link a credit card to your cruise card account as soon as possible after you board.  I somehow was able to avoid this by using the mobile app ahead of time to do this.  Using the mobile app completely broke my web login account but that’s a story for another day.

OK, my peace has been disturbed now.  I’m in the cruise next area and three loud people are rearranging the furniture and tables to setup for a card game.  They’re yelling at the cruise next people after basically upending their work area.  Ugh.  I’m going to relocate, I’m not going to listen to this.

Alright, relocation successful.  It started to rain outdoors and indoor space is a bit of a premium but I don’t think a lot of people are aware of this Sky Lounge bar yet.  It’s the equivalent of the observation lounge on the Away class NCL ships.

Where was I.  Oh yeah, dinnertime.  MSC will assign you a specific dining time in the main dining room.  They specifically tell you that the doors will be closed 15 mins after your assigned time so if you miss it, you’re on your own.  It appears that there is only one dining room that is complimentary compared to the three normally on NCL ships.  I found the dining time to be a bit restrictive after my experience with NCL.  It would require some planning if evening entertainment shows are on your agenda.

I’ll attach the dinner menus later but it was typical MDR food.  I had a second miss with seafood ordering a calamari salad.  It just didn’t agree with me and I’m known as the human garbage can in the office when it comes to food.  Lesson learned, no more seafood anything the rest of my time on board.  

After dinner I spent some time watching a huge dance party in the central atrium of the ship.  The setup was amazing with the LED tiled ceilings displaying animations and a very enthusiastic entertainment crew.  It was close to 11PM when the party was over and guess what, the buffet was still open!  Take that NCL.  They even had a midnight snacks selection of deserts that was roped off until the stroke of midnight.  It was so nice to get a cup of coffee and 5 slices of tiramisu as a light snack before bed.

Day 2

No hockey puck has browns at breakfast!  All they had were they croquet things.  They were crunchy but it was not the same!    The rest of the offerings were standard breakfast fare.

The gym was an absolute zoo at 9:30AM.  It’s not very large at all and I want to say it was even smaller than what was on the Prima.  You had people camping out to use the treadmills (limited to 25 mins) and other machines.  The free weight area only had two benches.  Towels and sanitizer was in chronic short supply.  I’m not sure why the gym was so popular with passengers on this sailing.  I did noticed that the gym was also packed during sail away as well when I peeked in the windows.  Based on my unbiased observations, I think many of the passengers found the gym equipment to be a novelty for their instagram photos.  I’m trying to be kind OK!

Quick observation of the MSC observation lounge.  They were smart to make most of the chairs single seats only.  No loungers or daybeds for homeless sleep away use.  NCL needs to install those hard benches with blocky armrests like they have in the NYC subway system to discourage the sleepers.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

No hockey puck has browns at breakfast!  All they had were they croquet things.  They were crunchy but it was not the same!    The rest of the offerings were standard breakfast fare.

Noooooooooooooooooo! My dreams of MSC have been dashed. Haha...sorry the croquets weren't all that good. Interesting. 

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Quick observation of the MSC observation lounge.  They were smart to make most of the chairs single seats only.  No loungers or daybeds for homeless sleep away use.  NCL needs to install those hard benches with blocky armrests like they have in the NYC subway system to discourage the sleepers.

I suppose I'll disagree with you and others. I would prefer seeing loungers and daybeds. Unsocked feet don't bother me in the slightest. It's not like I'm taking my socks off, so whatevs. 

I'm just glad to hear from you! I thought MSC had dragged you to the bowels of the ship or something. I hope your time in the Caribbean is full of sun, sandy beaches, and calm seas. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

@Brighton Line I remember the D used to be the Brighton Line. Then one day the B became the Brighton Line and the D switched to running on the B line. Still confuses me when I visit family because the D was so ingrained in my head.

@Sugar Magnoliago back further to further confuse you and the BMT used numbers. BMT Southern Division numbers 1-9 like the Brighton Line now B/Q used numbers. Brighton Beach was the 1, Franklin Ave (Now Shuttle) was 7, West End (now D) was 3, 4th Ave now R was 2, Sea Beach N was 4. Easter Division now the land of M/J/L was 10 thru 16. Don't get me started, we've thread drifted too much already.

• Haha 1

Sitting on the top deck now waiting for the ship to empty out before I hit the lunch buffet.  Didn't have time to put my thoughts down fully last night so here are a few random snippets.

I was shocked there it was lobster tail night in the MDR last night.  No upcharge!  I ended up with that and a large steak last night due to a tablemate being full.  Both dishes and the appetizers were excellent.  The kitchen redeemed itself in my eyes from the night before.

I'm really annoyed at the lack of TV stations onboard.  I know, stop watching, but it's how I wind down the day.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tura Lura said:

I always get WiFi plus I download some stuff to watch if needed. I’ll make sure I have both for my cruise in Feb.  I like something to watch as well.

I grab a bunch of Netflix stuff before each cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am confused by your statement about there only being one MDR. On the Meraviglia, there are four MDRs... one on Deck 5 and three on Deck 6.

Yes, there is more than one but based on what Pete is saying he must have the Bella experience which limits you to the assigned MDR on deck #5, Waves. 

21 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Yes, there is more than one but based on what Pete is saying he must have the Bella experience which limits you to the assigned MDR on deck #5, Waves. 

that has to be it.  I’m only allowed in Waves.  Cheapo Pete wins again!

now if only people will stop thinking I’m a ship photographer. 

IMG_9157.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I'm and NCL girl and also dabble with Princess, will be interested to see your take on MSC. I just don't see me trying them at this time but you never know as I do like the convenience of going out of NY/NJ ports.

• Like 1

Apologies for the late question regarding the Brooklyn port.  Is the entire check-in process inside the building or are there lines where one has to wait outside first?  Just trying to plan ahead for whether or not to wear heavy coats for our February trip.  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Swin-2-win said:

Apologies for the late question regarding the Brooklyn port.  Is the entire check-in process inside the building or are there lines where one has to wait outside first?  Just trying to plan ahead for whether or not to wear heavy coats for our February trip.  Thanks in advance.

The first time I sailed out of the Brooklyn Terminal, I did have to line up outside for a bit. That was because the line for security was backed up due to a medical emergency with someone in line and EMTs needing to get to the person, treat them, load them onto a gurney, and get them out. Typically, lining up outside should not be required.

• Like 1

We have loved sailing with MSC on the Meravilia.

They used to have Cirque de soleil in the theater/bar aft (2020)

Has that come back? In 2022 they had several different shows on that circular stage--and there was a rock band that did great covers - 

It is an Italian line and we like the food. And we like that there is a fabulous burrata made on the ship, as well as amazing chocolates. The pizza is tremendous and like we remember when we lived in Italy.

Hope you are having a nice time

• Like 1