The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday, January 16th, 2024

kazu

Today is Appreciate a Dragon Day, Book Publishers Day, and International Hot & Spicy Food Day

We are all born mad. Some remain so. - Samuel Beckett

Meal Suggestion for today - Simple Sautéed Swiss Chard
Drink of the Day - Swinging Sultan
Wine of the Day - Decoy California Pinot Noir 
Destination of the Day - Papeete, French Polynesia 

Today in History:
1605 The first edition of "El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha" (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid
1913 British House of Commons accepts Home Rule for Ireland (but the Great War gets in the way of it happening)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 01-19

Nieuw Amsterdam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg, Sint Maarten eta 1/17

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 01-22

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Falmouth Jamaica eta 01-17

Volendam

At Sea Destination Pago Pago, Tutuila Island American Samoa eta 01-18

Zaandam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 09:00 - 17:00 

Zuiderdam

Santarem, Brazil Amazon 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 01-19

Westerdam

Laem Chabang, Bangkok, Thailand 07:00 - 18 Jan 01:00

• Like 21
  • Thanks 22

Swinging Sultan cocktail:

Ingredients
3 oz Pomegranate Juice.
6 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Raki
1 1/2 oz Triple Sec
1 1/2 oz Lime Juice
Ice cubes

Directions
Combine vodka, pomegranate juice, Triple Sec and lime juice in a large shaker with ice.
Shake vigorously for five to ten seconds.
Pour into two martini glasses.
Spray raki over surface of each drink, 1- 2 spritzes per glass.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 6.21.47 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 18

Good morning from Saint Maarten. The Nieuw Amsterdam beat us here, very windy. 

Feeling much better today. I didn't sleep, almost hallucinating due to massive loading dose of Prednisone.  Cough came back at 4:30 am when my 5:30pm  pill wore off. 

FB_IMG_1705403281951.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning and thanks for the Report.

Thanks for the maps too.

Another cold, snowy day.  The snow squall warning has ended but we still have a weather advisory so another good day to stay home.

I don't know how or why to appreciate a dragon but I do appreciate book publishers.  I like some hot and spicy food, but not too hot or spicy.🤔

I'm not sure about the quote.

I think I'd like the Swiss chard as a side dish, not a meal.  The drink sounds good, hope the wine is too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 33

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Ottahand7 confined to her cabin with a respiratory illness; John quarantined too

Safe travels to RMLincoln and her DH on their drive to the Allergist

Kochleffel not feeling well

Haljo1935’s heat not working

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

HAL Sailer’s DH with medical issues

Tana with pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Seagarsmoker feeling better

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim holding his own

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Kochleffel (Anthem of the Seas to Jan 18, 11d Southern Caribbean), Sailingdutchy(Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer), Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 19

Good Morning,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  It's a snowy day with about 4" expected here.  It's also an in office day so I'll allow a little more time for those who forgot how to drive.  I'd like something hot and spicy food for dinner but it will be leftover chicken.  I hope everyone has a good day today. 

Most mornings Tucker challenges me for my cereal bowl.

20240116_063438.thumb.jpg.10cec60c4234d01af83c1681b55583ee.jpg

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

I forgot to mention we are out of quarantine. Long story for later today. I must have RSV because I didn't get the vaccine and John did, he is well. I am pretty sure I caught on our two hours on an old bus in Belize.  The woman across the aisle one row back unrelenting mouth uncovered.  My bad didn't bring a mask. 

MSC Seaside and Sea Dream Yacht Club. 

IMG_20240116_063436207_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Greetings from Punta Gorda

Another cool rainy day coming up in southwest Florida, we almost finished our Golf yesterday, had to quit after 15 holes as the rain came down in buckets and lasted until till early evening

Don’t care for the quote or the food

Our Tampa Bay Buccaneers with a great win against Philadelphia last night, keep it going Bucs!

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@kazuCan you ask a moderator to change the date to the 16th?

Darn, I didn’t see it until after it was too late to edit (darn dog taking up my time LOL).

Request has already been sent.  Apologies.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 7

Good morning friends!  Rain moved in between 5 and 6 am but the temperature is still 42F  Predictions are the temperatures will drop quickly now with a possibility of mixed precipitation around 9 or 10 when it finally stops.  Bad timing!  We've already had our high temp of 48 during the night and it's going to get COLD!  We planned on running a couple errands today but will have to wait and see how the roads dry up or melt as the case may be.  The sun will be out for a while today.  We have to return a damaged item to Amazon therefore a stop at the UPS store.  

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily including maps for Rich @richwmn.   I don't know any dragons to appreciate 🐲, salute book publishers and can't eat hot & spicy food at all.  A big question mark on the quote.  Debbie @dfish will have to borrow Ann's @cat shepard's decoder ring on the Swiss chard. Just kidding!  No thanks to the drink and pinot noir.🍷  Good days in history.  Thanks to the F&B ladies mentioned above and our good friend Dixie @summer slope.

Prayers for all our Daily friends in need of them.  Nancy @ottahand7 I'm so sorry to hear you didn't sleep last night and hope you begin feeling tip-top very soon.  Get some rest!  Prayers also for my DB and DGD, friends Scott and Bob and their supportive wives.  And always the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held including babies and children, and for the safety of our military under fire at bases and on ships in the region.  🙏  Congrats to all celebrating their happy events and cruising!  🚢🎂  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the Care and Celebration list keeping!  Feel better soon!

The port of the day is Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia and it's only the second time here for that great port.  First time was April 26, 2022.  We were there twice and had a great time.  Here's your link:

Hope you all stay safe and warm today!

On April 18, 2014 we arrived in Papeete on Golden Princess for an overnight stay.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLu-o0vD0oSnLojOXgIkDPf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077807

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKvMLekNYljsNHsobUtRuvE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077811

Well, sort of overnight.  We had to be back on board by 3 am April 19 to sail for Moorea.  Not a big problem for us because we aren't out at the clubs all night anyway!  LOL

The welcome band/singers00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI0FTJICEI0O3C0t6LHKHnZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077838

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-qHVfZhLTE5hUjnyogQZD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077859

It's a good thing these shops on the dock were open because it was Good Friday and the local Market was closed.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxi9DboKBnUDyYDzsWQpdp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077855

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL5J7FdrEcuPDgFzd9HUu6G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077855

We thought we'd take a walk around town since it was so nice out.  We happened upon the Presidential Palace.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKo9KB9384_tvjo4_c939J4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077907

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJu-pzKQq_5FmzpL3XeCHV2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077910

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKSVqq7LOQUyOFZwCaQMVW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077914

This is the gate to the main Market in town, which I mentioned was closed.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKtbm6XVF8bQqdba8KEl8wD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077923

But some enterprising women set up tables on the street corners to sell these beautiful flower head bands.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI817uAjF_yoLdtpuYZDiCO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077923

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLLvBrmm0FgScN4l1wv1xZR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077927

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVQOugskn-KtTtl3M0LoxG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077932

A beautiful scenic street00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSwstR4HuEGVVSac3UzptC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1399077939

On our second visit to Papeete we were on the Maasdam and it was April 15, 2017.  The same group of singers/band were there for us again.  This port is a major re-supply stop.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZPNyIT9ousq_JdQTGLQmv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108374

In addition to the shops on the dock, the Market was open this day!  This is the entrance.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlCCW-ujQaQKKlncfq2Ho5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108398

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQqC4r8ZWF1sICrBj-p3Y7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108414

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8YcjbZuUI5c1YOhfIrXA9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108415

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXwb3yMU0VGw8hv56PDasX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108405

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLV8JLIYZO35xiDoqCTBSsj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108404

Next we visited the Notre Dame Cathedral.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCa40cXHDHAcHmUepUReB5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108424

This was the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrZS0XZr-gilewkK_QmDbf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108432

Helpful to tourists00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3oOJztImM0F-noSf0SphR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108439

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZ9vIOxb_S6ZjY-6oDPEn-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108441

It was a beautiful evening in the marina.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIy3Q4NLqlIiRDIsNHxgYnU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108474

We had a Polynesian dance show on the ship that night.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNOixELzwekAKXDgpt5eVX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494108480

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKHGxMoY7F3dAs6jG_QW6A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199164

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKG5S9V7M6MpwIx7vjy5Gmf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199173

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJP3bqnRATYqEu36b_wF97L?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199179

Another fun day in French Polynesia.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

It’s 6:45 AM and we are arriving in Salliverry, Peru. Looks like a beautiful day to see ancient ruins and terrain. Little hazy but those mountains are beautiful.

@JazzyVWe’ll soon find out if you kind photo tips work. Thank you again.

Quick coffee and bite and early tour.

Have a great day everyone. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b3ed3a561975499a993c241495dae226.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e425e0609bccb373bdd3d9c05bc30c8d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.279fae73e792315f58b3bc10e40e34d3.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 7

8 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I forgot to mention we are out of quarantine. Long story for later today. I must have RSV because I didn't get the vaccine and John did, he is well. I am pretty sure I caught on our two hours on an old bus in Belize.  The woman across the aisle one row back unrelenting mouth uncovered.  My bad didn't bring a mask. 

MSC Seaside and Sea Dream Yacht Club. 

IMG_20240116_063436207_HDR.jpg

Nancy, I'm happy to hear you're out of quarantine.  And I was going to ask if you'd had the vaccine.  I got the RSV vaccine in October and DH didn't because he doesn't have lung issues and I have this horrible chronic cough.  Glad to hear it worked for John but sorry you had to catch it from that irresponsible woman on the bus.  I saw on my EOB that the RSV vaccine was $318 and my insurance paid it all. 😯

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Darn, I didn’t see it until after it was too late to edit (darn dog taking up my time LOL).

Jacqui just copy and paste the title for your initial post from Rich's halfacts.com/daily from now on.  It's at the top.  If Rich gets it right, you will too!😊

Today is two weeks since I started the latest Christmas stocking.  Here's my progress in 13 days.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

What it will look like.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie from a cold and stormy Maryland.  I think the closest thing to a dragon I have seen is Iguanas, will salute book publishers, but am not into spicy food.

Interesting quote by Beckett.

Two great dates in history to consider.  I have been to Papeete several times including embarking Crystal Serenity there in 2011.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Spaghetti Bolognese, and Pistachio Gelato as served in MS Prinsendam's Canaletto January 16, 2019:

dishes16.jpg

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Ooh a time warp! Totally skipped January 16th & 17th! 

Jacqui, thank you for a preview of Thursday’s FR & D! It is 65, super foggy and will get colder as the day progresses. Freeze warnings even where I am. It is so foggy Bindi and I encountered two deer on our morning walk and we all startled each other! 

Vanessa, thank you for managing to keep track of all of us. Praying that you find permanent relief for your pain and start getting great night’s sleep. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores. Need to do tackle more of my hardwood floors to get rid of scuff marks. 

IMG_2384.jpeg.1398110ba93bd467bf9709014faa45fe.jpeg

IMG_2414.jpeg.59048145c56776e04ba9aafb0bf63bc0.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg.43bcfb4bef970ff83e2193d1fc40f008.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those with debilitating pain and conditions, those grieving the loss of a loved one, the caregivers and those in a funk. Thinking of you Terry, Tan and Melissa. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Decoy California Pinot Noir

I do not remember trying this wine, but I would love a taste. It has lots of consumer fans and is widely available. Online prices start at $16.98.

Winemaker Notes

This lush and alluring Pinot Noir draws you in with aromas of black cherry, wild strawberry, red currant, black tea and sage, as well as rustic hints of earthy forest floor. On the palate, the generous ripe berry flavors are framed by bright, balanced acidity and refined tannins that carry the wine to a long, silky finish. 

Professional Ratings

90Wilfred Wong of Wine.com

The 2021 Decoy Pinot Noir is flavorful and nicely balanced. This wine excels with aromas and flavors of savory spices and perky red fruits. Try it with brown sugar and mustard-glazed baked salmon fillets.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 6

Good morning and thank you to Vanessa, Roy, Ann, Dixie & Debbie for their dedication and everyone for their contributions.  Sorry about my faux pas in the title. 😡 It should get fixed 🤞 

Good collection of days.  I love dragons in books and film and gladly celebrate Book Publishers.  I like the Beckett quote and yum on the Sautéed Swiss Chard - sorry I missed that sautéed needed to be decoded - guess it’s not my morning 😔  I adore Cervantes’ books and his message.  I still have my Spanish Don Quijote de La Mancha in my library.  

IMG_1951.thumb.jpeg.886dcc2deb18e287df7bcbe7b84ca20d.jpeg

Forecast for today has completely changed.  Now we are getting snow followed by rain.  rain?  It’s far too cold for that - why don’t they just say ice?  Snow is fine but keep the ice out of it, please.  

IMG_1426.thumb.jpeg.65c6f697795b70e507f78a2742fb06e7.jpeg

Had a lovely time at my BFF’s yesterday chatting and a lovely lunch.  She prepared - wait for it….lobster rolls 🙂 Yum and so delicious.  Got home past walk time and Ivan was as good as gold waiting.  We got it done before it was dark, thankfully.  Today is number crunching to see if we need HIA or not.  I’m leaning to wine packages and nicer choices 😉 

IMG_1416.jpeg.5b432e68c15c728eb4dc8c22330a3474.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grieving, in pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1954.thumb.jpeg.9feb60c392db0fd0c18088f0569303d2.jpeg

Have a good 16th everyone.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Great news!  Glad you are improving and out of quarantine.  🙂 

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui just copy and paste the title for your initial post from Rich's halfacts.com/daily from now on.  It's at the top.  If Rich gets it right, you will too!😊

Easier said than remembered Sandi 😉. I’ll just delay posting to drink my coffee 😂 

Beautiful stockings!

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

No apology needed. You should have just said that you were testing us to see how many paid attention to the date. 😎

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

No apology needed. You should have just said that you were testing us to see how many paid attention to the date. 😎

And I missed it.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Haha 17

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s daily report, recipes and lists.  Three nice nice days to recognize, I’ll appreciate Puff the Magic Dragon.  Hats off to all book publishers whose products I love.  With last night’s snowfall I’ll gladly celebrate hot and spicy day.  Unfortunately the quote is true for some.  I would love today’s meal suggestion as a side dish.  The drink sounds so mod for some reason, sure I’ll give it a go.  I wish that I could say that I’ve been to today’s port, but I haven’t.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 28

Good Tuesday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

We have snow. It appears to be winding down, but most schools are closed or virtual. I am working from home and will be going out later to get the shoveling done. I have to convince Fancy that she needs to go out but right now she is comfy and warm. 

Had a good visit with the nutritionist and have a good plan. Cleaning up my diet a little with a low insulin diet and looking for the hidden sugars. Excited to see how this goes. Also increasing exercise and getting back to strength training should be helpful as well. 

Still waiting for spring. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.2e82f2f9f709c6f45f2431f9b483e438.png

• Like 26
  • Haha 6