When should I download the app?

davy jones

7 minutes ago, davy jones said:

We are booked for November.   I see that you must request dining preference through the Princess app.  Is it prudent to download the Princess app now or wait until after final payment

According to Princess the old app goes bye, bye sometime in February 2024. 

1 hour ago, davy jones said:

We are booked for November.   I see that you must request dining preference through the Princess app.  Is it prudent to download the Princess app now or wait until after final payment

I see no benefit to waiting.  As far as the concerns with the new App, it is going to be the same if you download now or after February.  

• Like 1

You can have the old and new at the same time and some things seem to work better on the new and others on the old so having both can be helpful.

Also, I haven't made my final payment but the new app let me book dining anyway. Not sure what's up with that but I wasn't going to complain.

You can download the new one and still keep the old one, so no harm on downloading it now. I downloaded it about a week after it was available and I've had no problems with it.

I agree with @cjpj.  Why not download the new one now as you can still use the old one.  Determine which one will allow you to do what you need to do.  
I had both the old and new app on my cruise that ended a week ago.  I tried to use the new app exclusively.  The only issue I had is that it wouldn’t allow me to go through the whole muster drill  and give me my check mark for completing it.  I ended up pulling it up on my old app to complete that requirement.  And, towards the end of the cruise, it was missing the locations for the events in JourneyView so wouldn’t allow me to bookmark anything.  
But, other than that, I liked it better and I did try using it right after the new app was released. 

I've downloaded the new app and I noticed that for the dining rooms, there's only specific times for seating. I see no mention of anytime dining. We're sailing on the Island Princess on a European cruise in August. Do we just go to the dining rooms and ask for a table? Mind you the times on the app aren't too bad at all.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:27 AM, davy jones said:

NEVER! I have never had a second of stress over their app having never used it. 

53 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

NEVER! I have never had a second of stress over their app having never used it. 

My wife and I have greatly enjoyed being able to locate one another as well as some other folks we have cruised with. Love that aspect of the app. I also love being able to see my folio at any time as well as any drinks that may have been erroneously charged to my account. I don't have stress over the app either. I just use it and it works pretty well for me.

A lot of folks are now stressing over the Onshore credit card that is automagically entered in the new app. It just takes the one you authorized for Onboard purchases and, on its own, inserts that number into the Onshore purchases area. I just clicked the three dot menu there and removed the card. No stress, no big deal.

2 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I've downloaded the new app and I noticed that for the dining rooms, there's only specific times for seating. I see no mention of anytime dining. We're sailing on the Island Princess on a European cruise in August. Do we just go to the dining rooms and ask for a table? Mind you the times on the app aren't too bad at all.

Yes, just show up.  I just got off the Island Princess.  There will be a line for people with a reservation and a line for people without a reservation.

IMHO, I found the new app to be substantially better than the old.  I found the 'Ship Schedule' section much more usable than the old app.  It was an electronic version of the Patter and easy to navigate.  As others have suggested, download the new app and compare the two.  

19 hours ago, Aggie83 said:

IMHO, I found the new app to be substantially better than the old.  I found the 'Ship Schedule' section much more usable than the old app.  It was an electronic version of the Patter and easy to navigate.  As others have suggested, download the new app and compare the two.  

I have the new app but when I try to download the old one, it just hangs and doesn't load. These are the two apps I found on the iPhone app store. I have the first one.

.Screenshot2024-01-21at10_21_37AM.thumb.png.e6a6a28f6db9b7fcfea1d389c21d2000.pngScreenshot2024-01-21at10_21_14AM.thumb.png.9aff42f4e4d5cb1e9311d774ce2d0029.png

1 hour ago, HMSDingy said:

I have the new app but when I try to download the old one, it just hangs and doesn't load. These are the two apps I found on the iPhone app store. I have the first one.

.Screenshot2024-01-21at10_21_37AM.thumb.png.e6a6a28f6db9b7fcfea1d389c21d2000.pngScreenshot2024-01-21at10_21_14AM.thumb.png.9aff42f4e4d5cb1e9311d774ce2d0029.png

I deleted the old app because the new app is so much better.  I also decided I only needed one version on the ship.

51 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

I deleted the old app because the new app is so much better.  I also decided I only needed one version on the ship.

I just posted this in another thread.  Not sure how it’s going to work out as the old app doesn’t seem to be very functional any longer.  

So, not sure if this even deserves a new thread so just adding it here.  
I have several cruises booked for the future with Princess and used the new app almost exclusively on one cruise already.  
I like the new app for the most part but have a couple of serious concerns with it:  

I could watch the muster safety video but it would never check me off as having done so.  I held onto the old app to play the video again and it gave me my check mark that I had viewed it.  

As mentioned, I have several cruises booked with Princess but wanted to look into making some arrangements for a B2B cruise I have booked for March and April.  Before those cruises, we have two other cruises booked.  So, I logged out of my new app to log in under my booking number for my future cruises.  It still takes me back to my upcoming cruise next month instead of the one associated with the booking number I entered.  Hmmmm?  That’s not going to work out for us very well, as I can’t even enter a cruise to order my medallion, reserve dinner, see the events .. just basic planning functionality is gone.  
I may have to go into the website for some of this cruise planning but it still won’t give me some of the things I will need.  
Is anybody else experiencing this issue?  Maybe someone has a work around?