Solo supplement or not?

Thinking of booking yet another cruise. Wife might not be able to go but I won’t know for sure until later. I assumed , that if she can’t go and I go ahead, that the cruiseline would tack on an extra charge to equal the “solo supplement”. Some folks have told me to just show up and say she couldn’t make it. I’m not so sure especially if when booked the 2nd person got a discounted fare. Any advice out there? Anyone had this happen? 

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

If you decide to go down the solo cruising road, stay well clear of Celebrity Cruises.

Aside from the obvious I don't see any context with your comments.  But if it has to do with solo cruisers surcharge, Celebrity is one of the cruise lines that also on their Apex class ships offer dedicated solo infinity balcony staterooms that typically are at 30% - 40% or more less than the typical double occupancy rate for solo cruisers and offer IMO a realistic alternative for solo cruisers.

To the OP, I would book the cruise as double occupancy with your wife intending to go, and I would maintain that booking until I knew for sure that she was in fact not going.  You then have the option of discussing your situation with the cruise line and accepting whatever they offer as a solution or simply showing up solo.  In the latter option they likely will not do anything to adjust your fare as it already is at a double occupancy rate and they may in fact refund your wife's port fees and taxes.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Aside from the obvious I don't see any context with your comments. 

The gist is that Celebrity is charging MORE than 200% solo supplements in many cases. So the OP, if they are charged a solo supplement could face a hefty hike over their current "deal" with reduced fare for second passenger. Pretty relevant, IMO.

Celebrity's solo cabins exist but are very limited. Like many other ships that have a few "solo" cabins, they are often in undesirable locations as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Aside from the obvious I don't see any context with your comments.  But if it has to do with solo cruisers surcharge, Celebrity is one of the cruise lines that also on their Apex class ships offer dedicated solo infinity balcony staterooms that typically are at 30% - 40% or more less than the typical double occupancy rate for solo cruisers and offer IMO a realistic alternative for solo cruisers.

To the OP, I would book the cruise as double occupancy with your wife intending to go, and I would maintain that booking until I knew for sure that she was in fact not going.  You then have the option of discussing your situation with the cruise line and accepting whatever they offer as a solution or simply showing up solo.  In the latter option they likely will not do anything to adjust your fare as it already is at a double occupancy rate and they may in fact refund your wife's port fees and taxes.

Thank you. There’s a “X%” off 2nd person. So I’m thinking like you - just show up and they’ll just let it go.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, InletBill said:

Thank you. There’s a “X%” off 2nd person. So I’m thinking like you - just show up and they’ll just let it go.

This travel agent says this has happened to her -- her spouse couldn't go - and she just showed up, said he couldn't make it, and that was that.

• Like 1

I have booked a cruise for 2 people many times and not have the second person show up. Best not to tell them ahead of time. You will get the port charges and taxes back on the second person. 

Have done this numerous times with celebrity also with no problems. 

11 hours ago, Kat915 said:

I have booked a cruise for 2 people many times and not have the second person show up. Best not to tell them ahead of time. You will get the port charges and taxes back on the second person. 

Have done this numerous times with celebrity also with no problems. 

The cruise lines would typically not make an issue with this as the rate you paid by booking for two is a double occupancy rate, probably very similar to the solo rate plus supplement.

Simple solution:  Buy cancel for any reason trip insurance with Princess.  You will only lose the insurance cost, but won't have to pay the solo supplement.  Get the Platinum plan.  Funds returned as cash, cc, or FCC.

My opinion only:  Why create drama?

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Simple solution:  Buy cancel for any reason trip insurance with Princess.  You will only lose the insurance cost, but won't have to pay the solo supplement.  Get the Platinum plan.  Funds returned as cash, cc, or FCC.

My opinion only:  Why create drama?

I'm scratching my head here.  I book a cruise for two passengers. One doesn't show up, so the other pays a solo supplement to continue the cruise.  What was cancelled?  

I'm not saying you are incorrect.  I just can't wrap my head around it.   

@ldubs I may not have clearly laid out the scenario.  I am basing my suggestion on a normal cancellation (not a no show).

Passenger 1 books a cruise with Passenger 2.  Both buy Platinum PVP (cancel for any reason for full fare refund or FCC).

Passenger 2 cancels.  Passenger 1 will still be able to go on the cruise without any additional costs since PVP will refund fare to Passenger 2 (minus insurance).  PVP will pay Princess the solo supplement.  

That's why it is important to have insurance.  Without it, Passenger 2 would lose entire fare and Passenger 1 would have to pay for a solo supplement.  Yes, double jeopardy.

I am not describing a scenario where Passenger 2 decides to knowingly be a no show.  Ethically, I could never do that.  That's just me.  What others choose to do is up to them.  This did happen to me (Passenger 2 cancelled at the last minute/3 day prior to embarkation).  It left me scrambling to rebook and pay a solo supplement since it was the one an only time I did not buy insurance.  I have also had my fair share of cabin mates cancel for medical reasons and PVP came through for all of us.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@ldubs I may not have clearly laid out the scenario.  I am basing my suggestion on a normal cancellation (not a no show).

Passenger 1 books a cruise with Passenger 2.  Both buy Platinum PVP (cancel for any reason for full fare refund or FCC).

Passenger 2 cancels.  Passenger 1 will still be able to go on the cruise without any additional costs since PVP will refund fare to Passenger 2 (minus insurance).  PVP will pay Princess the solo supplement.  

That's why it is important to have insurance.  Without it, Passenger 2 would lose entire fare and Passenger 1 would have to pay for a solo supplement.  Yes, double jeopardy.

Thanks.  I think you are saying each passenger has their own CFAR policy and, even though the fare is for double occy, each individually would be able to cancel for any reason and be reimbursed for their share. Then, If I'm following, you are saying the remaining passenger would be reimbursed for the extra cost of their unintended solo status.

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am not describing a scenario where Passenger 2 decides to knowingly be a no show.  Ethically, I could never do that.  That's just me.  What others choose to do is up to them.  This did happen to me (Passenger 2 cancelled at the last minute/3 day prior to embarkation).  It left me scrambling to rebook and pay a solo supplement since it was the one an only time I did not buy insurance.  I have also had my fair share of cabin mates cancel for medical reasons and PVP came through for all of us.

I thought the whole point of CFAR coverage was that any reason is covered.  However, I tend to agree with you.  For people to purchase full refund CFAR coverage as part of a scheme to save the solo passenger money seems a little like a fraud to me.    

Remaining passenger (1) would NOT be reimbursed for charges.  They just won't incur the additional solo supplement.  Therefore, their cruise would cost them their initial fare only.  Platinum PVP will cover the solo supplement AND reimburse Passenger 2 for the cancellation.  

In each of my insured cancelled passenger 2, I was able to sail solo.  Each of my cancelled passengers received a full refunds.  I have been told that if the cancellation did not fall under certain guide lines, Passenger 2 would receive FCC instead.  Don't know how true that is since all of my people got checks (minus cost of insurance).

People who take out insurance are not out to defraud the cruise line.  This only applies to those who don't take insurance and have Passenger 2 as a no show.

The logistic are:

If you have insurance, PVP will pay the single supplement so you can sail solo AND pay Passenger 2. I know this sounds crazy that Princess will get 3 fares for insured solo cruiser.

Those without insurance are trying to game the system so that Princess only gets the fare for Passenger 1 and Passenger 2.  I know, not fair either way, but that's how it is set up.

At least, that has been my understanding.  I could be wrong.  Whatever the situation, without insurance Passenger 2 would lose all paid fare.  With insurance, Passenger 2 would at least get something back.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Remaining passenger (1) would NOT be reimbursed for charges.  They just won't incur the additional solo supplement.  Therefore, their cruise would cost them their initial fare only.  Platinum PVP will cover the solo supplement AND reimburse Passenger 2 for the cancellation.  

In each of my insured cancelled passenger 2, I was able to sail solo.  Each of my cancelled passengers received a full refunds.  I have been told that if the cancellation did not fall under certain guide lines, Passenger 2 would receive FCC instead.  Don't know how true that is since all of my people got checks (minus cost of insurance).

People who take out insurance are not out to defraud the cruise line.  This only applies to those who don't take insurance and have Passenger 2 as a no show.

The logistic are:

If you have insurance, PVP will pay the single supplement so you can sail solo AND pay Passenger 2. I know this sounds crazy that Princess will get 3 fares for insured solo cruiser.

Those without insurance are trying to game the system so that Princess only gets the fare for Passenger 1 and Passenger 2.  I know, not fair either way, but that's how it is set up.

At least, that has been my understanding.  I could be wrong.  Whatever the situation, without insurance Passenger 2 would lose all paid fare.  With insurance, Passenger 2 would at least get something back.

Thanks again.  I originally couldn't follow how this works.  

• Like 1

Cancelling before or after final payment makes a difference.

If you cancel after final payment, the cruise line receives all the money it expected from that cabin.  No one has to show up- they don't care (although they are losing discretionary spending)

If you cancel before final payment, cruise line has not received all their money and will adjust price.