Mumbling about Marina

ORV

Today is a sea day, we have quite a few of them. I think this is a full ship, maybe a few empty rooms. This has appeared to me to be one of the most crowded Oceania cruises I’ve been on. I’ve noticed a bit of behavior that I can only interpret as people sitting and waiting for someone to tell them what to do. It’s hard to explain, but imagine disembarkation day with people waiting for their number to be called. On Oceania you really need to be a self starter and be willing to entertain yourself. I’m very confident there are many people that will not understand what I’m saying. 

Overall the demographics on this cruise is skewing much younger than normal. I’m sure some first timers would read this and go “really”?, because there are plenty of 75 + that we normally have. I’m also pretty sure there will be quite a few of one and dones from some of the new cruisers to Oceania that I have talked to. If Oceania really wants to cultivate customers from the big ships then they are going to need some fresh thinking concerning activities. Or perhaps enough new people are looking for what Oceania has to offer, it’s not for everyone, and I understand that. 

But enough of that. Here’s some real information. There are 5 naturalists aboard, with today being the first day of lectures. I had to miss the one on penguins, but I’ll try to catch it on TV. I’m glad to see an effort for enrichment instead of just baggo and black jack tournaments to fill our days. Apparently many people are interested as the theatre is full for the lecture on Argentina. 

I expect the inside venues to get much more crowded in the next few days as it will be too cold for laying around the pool. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

There are 5 naturalists aboard, with today being the first day of lectures. I had to miss the one on penguins, but I’ll try to catch it on TV. I’m glad to see an effort for enrichment instead of just baggo and black jack tournaments to fill our days. Apparently many people are interested as the theatre is full for the lecture on Argentina. 

Having 5 destination experts/lecturers aboard would attract me whether I was 35 or 75.... Sitting at a loud noisy bar watching servers do fancy tricks, not so much.

Guess I am Oceania material....

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, clo said:

We seem to be having that issue. Shall I just stop reply to you?

Suit yourself it’s your choice. 

• Like 1

Here is another alternative for European style connectors that we use. You can find them quite inexpensivelyIMG_1096.thumb.jpeg.cbd8cc01b7c96d04dbfd65f52b18ec7b.jpegon EBay and Amazon. I wanted to include one attached to a plug, so you could get an idea of the small size. 

@ORV  If you don't have this site, it has the wave height and wind forecasts, especially useful when you head to the Falklands and Drakes Passage

Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather

Thank you for this thread, it's welcome and timely, I'll wave as you get off and I get on the ship on the 14th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Today is a sea day, we have quite a few of them. I think this is a full ship, maybe a few empty rooms. This has appeared to me to be one of the most crowded Oceania cruises I’ve been on. I’ve noticed a bit of behavior that I can only interpret as people sitting and waiting for someone to tell them what to do. It’s hard to explain, but imagine disembarkation day with people waiting for their number to be called. On Oceania you really need to be a self starter and be willing to entertain yourself. I’m very confident there are many people that will not understand what I’m saying. 

This is so true, and this is why it's so important to do your home and know what to expect. O is not RCI, although I wish they had more guest lectures. But I guess it also depends how port intensive the cruise is. How many sea days in total do you have?

39 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Here is another alternative for European style connectors that we use. You can find them quite inexpensivelyIMG_1096.thumb.jpeg.cbd8cc01b7c96d04dbfd65f52b18ec7b.jpegon EBay and Amazon. I wanted to include one attached to a plug, so you could get an idea of the small size. 

Depending on the depth of the outlet those work great.

11 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

@ORV  If you don't have this site, it has the wave height and wind forecasts, especially useful when you head to the Falklands and Drakes Passage

Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather

Thank you for this thread, it's welcome and timely, I'll wave as you get off and I get on the ship on the 14th.

We were lucky to have the Drake Lake not the Drake Shake in both directions.

35 minutes ago, clo said:

Depending on the depth of the outlet those work great.

Not sure what you mean there. We’ve used these on all of our Marina cruises and all over Europe with no issues. 

39 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is so true, and this is why it's so important to do your home and know what to expect. O is not RCI, although I wish they had more guest lectures. But I guess it also depends how port intensive the cruise is. How many sea days in total do you have?

Nine sea days. The lecturers they’ve brought on board look to be excellent based on today’s intros. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SophieM said:

Not sure what you mean there. We’ve used these on all of our Marina cruises and all over Europe with no issues. 

Well, we've been to six continents and I honestly can't remember where we used them. I was definitely not talking about cruise ships.

1 hour ago, clo said:

38 minutes ago, SophieM said:

The Drake Passage between the tip of South America and Antarctica:  Occasionally like a calm lake, but usually home of the "Drake Shake" with 30' - 40' seas and swells.

3 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

The Drake Passage between the tip of South America and Antarctica:  Occasionally like a calm lake, but usually home of the "Drake Shake" with 30' - 40' seas and swells.

Since almost every single amateur person goes to Antarctica now - their summer - I think this would be a good (not perfect but good) guideline.

What time of year is the Drake Passage the calmest?

summer

While there is no such thing as the best month to cross Drake Passage, we were crossing the passage during the Antarctic summer (from October to February) when the Antarctic weather helps create calmer seas.

15 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

The wildlife photographer said the exact opposite today at his presentation. Usually calm but occasionally wild. But he said he likes storms so his idea of calm may be different than others. 

I noticed at Guest Relations a sign to take a Galley tour for $29 a person. I’ve heard of this but never seen one offered on any Oceania cruise before. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, ORV said:

I noticed at Guest Relations a sign to take a Galley tour for $29 a person. I’ve heard of this but never seen one offered on any Oceania cruise before. 

I'd do this if for no other reason than to burn some OBC, but also to see behind the "curtain".  Did it indicate how many times this would be offered and for how many people?

10 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I'd do this if for no other reason than to burn some OBC, but also to see behind the "curtain".  Did it indicate how many times this would be offered and for how many people?

I’ll check. 

• Like 1

Just for you, the first one is sold out and they added a second one on Feb 10th. No idea if they will have it on yours. 

IMG_0985.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ORV said:

But he said he likes storms so his idea of calm may be different than others. 

You made me think of the sequence in Ford vs Ferrari where Shelby gives Mr Ford a ride in a Shelby Mustang.  😲

It was a glorious day in Stanley. One of smoothest tendering operations I’ve ever seen. Yet somebody who was late getting to the tour was complaining how it was running late. This after Peter had explained that patience was the order of the day, and due to the distance, number of people to tender, and variables in tendering could affect schedules. Go figure. 

We were in port with Norwegian Sun. Lot of folks here today. 

IMG_0988.jpeg

Edited by ORV
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:04 AM, ORV said:

The wildlife photographer said the exact opposite today at his presentation. Usually calm but occasionally wild. But he said he likes storms so his idea of calm may be different than others. 

It's summer there and historically that gives calm waters.

7 hours ago, ORV said:

We’re at the Falkland Islands today and tenders are running. Yea!!

We visited the Falklands for several days after Antarctica. It was funny seeing green plants and things in bloom.

image.thumb.png.644ed6c6005c05d23438710df05a192b.png 

• Like 1