Mumbling about Marina

ORV

1 minute ago, clo said:

Horrendous news about the penguins in the Falklands.
Bird flu found in penguins near Antarctica, 200 chicks dead https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/bird-flu-found-penguin-species-sparks-fear-spread-antarctica-2024-01-30/

Don't harsh my buzz.  They just need to hang in there for another month, they're plucky little birds.

4 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Don't harsh my buzz.

Not familiar with that expression. What's happening in a month? Did you read the whole article? It's about even more than those particular penguins. And seals also

Great, something else for me to worry about. Thanks Flo

Meanwhile Peter said as a rule they only make about 30-50% of the landings at the Falklands. Last year he said they came here 3 times and only tendered once. 

Here’s some information for the anti Oceania group that seem to be infesting this board lately. We got a notice last night that the Self Serve laundry will be closed for the next 5 days due to water conservation as we traverse the Drake passage and the Antarctic Peninsula. 5 days until we port again, YET, wait for it, YET, in the same stack of papers we get an offer for a 24.95 bag of laundry special. Pretty poor timing in my opinion. We can’t use the laundry but they’re pushing the paid service. it’s a conspiracy I tell ya. Good thing I did laundry a couple of days ago. 

This morning we’re rolling around pretty good, but nothing severe. Our cabin is a B4 up towards the front of the ship, so I’m hoping it doesn’t get too bad. 

Dinner in Jacques last night. A couple of things I noticed from times past. The Puff Pastry Sea Bass was smaller than what I’ve seen in the past. My Iberico pork chop was smaller as was my wife’s lobster. No one went hungry though. Perhaps smaller portions make sense. Especially with multiple courses. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ORV said:

Dinner in Jacques last night. A couple of things I noticed from times past. The Puff Pastry Sea Bass was smaller than what I’ve seen in the past. My Iberico pork chop was smaller as was my wife’s lobster. No one went hungry though. Perhaps smaller portions make sense. Especially with multiple courses. 

We sailed Silversea for the first time  last year and I was pleasantly surprised by the portions being smaller than I was used to on Oceania. Yes I think it does make sense too. I guess there should be far less waste and of course if anybody is ‘hungry’, as if, they can always ask for more!

Hope it doesn’t get too rough for you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Meanwhile Peter said as a rule they only make about 30-50% of the landings at the Falklands. Last year he said they came here 3 times and only tendered once. 

Here’s some information for the anti Oceania group that seem to be infesting this board lately. We got a notice last night that the Self Serve laundry will be closed for the next 5 days due to water conservation as we traverse the Drake passage and the Antarctic Peninsula. 5 days until we port again, YET, wait for it, YET, in the same stack of papers we get an offer for a 24.95 bag of laundry special. Pretty poor timing in my opinion. We can’t use the laundry but they’re pushing the paid service. it’s a conspiracy I tell ya. Good thing I did laundry a couple of days ago. 

This morning we’re rolling around pretty good, but nothing severe. Our cabin is a B4 up towards the front of the ship, so I’m hoping it doesn’t get too bad. 

The laundry issue deserves a thread of its own 😇.

Checking Marina's position, sea conditions should remain steady for your Drake crossing on the way down.  Looks like 2-3 meter waves, easy peasy. 

Don't ask about the northbound return unless you REALLY want to know.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

The laundry issue deserves a thread of its own 😇.

Checking Marina's position, sea conditions should remain steady for your Drake crossing on the way down.  Looks like 2-3 meter waves, easy peasy. 

Don't ask about the northbound return unless you REALLY want to know.

That site you posted is too difficult to use on my phone. Sure, go ahead and tell me. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

First paragraph goes to the heart of a post I just made in Reduced Ports Stays. We didn’t make the Falklands last year, we were in the majority and it got skipped/cancelled. One should NEVER use SM credits for a Falklands ship tour. You’re begging for self inflicted trouble.

I have never gone hungry on any cruise. I’m not a fattening hog, and cutting portion sizes is a good thing. Amazing watching people order huge steaks or chops and then sending most to the garbage. 😒

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

image.png.503aa84c3613ae03e261dedf894eecdc.png

So, if I’m reading this correctly, we’ll be happier going through the passage on the 5th, as scheduled, than we would be a day later on the 6th?? But then, it looks iffy for Ushuaia on the 6th?  Maybe we didn’t REALLY want to know. 🌊🤢

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SophieM said:

So, if I’m reading this correctly, we’ll be happier going through the passage on the 5th, as scheduled, than we would be a day later on the 6th?? But then, it looks iffy for Ushuaia on the 6th?  Maybe we didn’t REALLY want to know. 🌊🤢

If you're scheduled for crossing back on the 4th and 5th you should be good.  Ushuaia is in protected waters, once you round the Horn you're golden.

Edited by shepherd really

3 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

If you're scheduled for crossing back on the 4th and 5th you should be good.  Ushuaia is in protected waters, once you round the Horn you're golden.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ok, I was wrong when the laundry closes, it’s tonight at midnight. I interpreted the wording wrong. We threw a couple of loads in just now. I’m sure my trivia mates will be glad to hear I’ll have clean underwear on. Speaking of trivia Peter just announced at the end of morning trivia we won’t have trivia for the next three days due to naturalists speaking on the Tannoy system. Doesn’t he know that the only reason we spend thousands of dollars to go on cruises is to play trivia that we don’t know the answers to? 

Hey Shep, maybe it’s not my phone, just tell me what that means for us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, ORV said:

Ok, I was wrong when the laundry closes, it’s tonight at midnight. I interpreted the wording wrong. We threw a couple of loads in just now. I’m sure my trivia mates will be glad to hear I’ll have clean underwear on. Speaking of trivia Peter just announced at the end of morning trivia we won’t have trivia for the next three days due to naturalists speaking on the Tannoy system. Doesn’t he know that the only reason we spend thousands of dollars to go on cruises is to play trivia that we don’t know the answers to? 

Hey Shep, maybe it’s not my phone, just tell me what that means for us. 

It means that rocking you spoke of should not get much worse (if at all) and the return trip back to Ushuaia should be pretty good too.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

First paragraph goes to the heart of a post I just made in Reduced Ports Stays. We didn’t make the Falklands last year, we were in the majority and it got skipped/cancelled. One should NEVER use SM credits for a Falklands ship tour. You’re begging for self inflicted trouble.

I have never gone hungry on any cruise. I’m not a fattening hog, and cutting portion sizes is a good thing. Amazing watching people order huge steaks or chops and then sending most to the garbage. 😒

That 32 oz Kings cut in Polo is absurdly large.   

• Like 2

Never fail to be amazed at people that don’t understand how the laundry works. If you can’t tell time or think you’re the only person on the ship then the self serve laundry is not for you. Thankfully for you I put your laundry in a basket 🧺 that you left finished in the dryer over 35 minutes. 

Meanwhile it’s a nice sunny 🌞 day and there are people out sunning by the pool. I think the Captain 🧑‍✈️ said it’s 54f. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vallesan said:

We sailed Silversea for the first time  last year and I was pleasantly surprised by the portions being smaller than I was used to on Oceania. Yes I think it does make sense too. I guess there should be far less waste and of course if anybody is ‘hungry’, as if, they can always ask for more!

Hope it doesn’t get too rough for you.

Since U.S. folks are criticized and laughed at for their large portions, maybe they'll learn a new way. We had breakfast out recently and brought home enough meat for two more breakfasts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Meanwhile it’s a nice sunny 🌞 day and there are people out sunning by the pool. I think the Captain 🧑‍✈️ said it’s 54f. 

It was funny when we did our Antarctica cruise (not on O) we wore shorts mostly on the ship. Some others did. 

image.thumb.png.8b27d6c4c1f15da652ac2a285b2daf3b.png

42 minutes ago, clo said:

Since U.S. folks are criticized and laughed at for their large portions, maybe they'll learn a new way. We had breakfast out recently and brought home enough meat for two more breakfasts.

Hopefully!

I often wonder just how much food one person can eat at one meal!

We love cruising but tend to have a starter and a main. We have sat with others who go through all of the five  courses on the menu. Not sure if they realise that that is an ‘option’ not a ‘must do’!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

Not sure if they realise that that is an ‘option’ not a ‘must do’!

Lol. We tend to share a couple of starters and share a main. And I would never order one of the pastas. Too filling. But I did manage to 'gag down' (LOL) a full order of Jacques' escargot and also the creme brule' 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Amazing watching people order huge steaks or chops and then sending most to the garbage. 😒

We don't see that as much at home any more because generally we don't go to restaurants that serve those huge portions. I know it's a no-no but I could sneak something out in my bag for snacking on later. 🙂 I love rare/almost raw leftover steak. Actually we've been known to take little slices off the raw steak before we cook it. I AM my father's daughter 🙂

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, clo said:

Lol. We tend to share a couple of starters and share a main. And I would never order one of the pastas. Too filling. But I did manage to 'gag down' (LOL) a full order of Jacques' escargot and also the creme brule' 🙂

At Toscana you can ask for a half size portion of any of the pastas.

• Like 4