South Pacific port currency?

POA1

Random question. If you are on one of our bucket list cruises to Fiji and the islands of the South Pacific, do you need local currency? If so, can you get it to on the ship or do you need to go to AAA or a US bank?

Based on our experience on a transpacific as well as a land based  trip to French Polynesia, most larger merchants and restaurants accept credit cards but some travel suppliers, taxis and smaller merchants want local currency. There were not local currencies on the ship and we did not want to be looking for an ATM right after disembarking so prepurchased some local currency from our bank before travel.

10 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Random question. If you are on one of our bucket list cruises to Fiji and the islands of the South Pacific, do you need local currency? If so, can you get it to on the ship or do you need to go to AAA or a US bank?

We did the 35 day Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise (did not include Fiji though).

There were a couple of ports where the local currency was needed at small stores or vendors and we all just ordered it though our banks in advance - a very nominal amount.

Most of the island would happily accept U.S. $$ and some preferred them.  What was a must was that the U.S. $ not be torn, old (faded or badly wrinkled).  Crisp bills were accepted readily.  Make sure you have small denominations as any change is in the local currency.

Credit cards were readily accepted by some of our tour operators, major stores, etc.

39 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

Based on our experience on a transpacific as well as a land based  trip to French Polynesia, most larger merchants and restaurants accept credit cards but some travel suppliers, taxis and smaller merchants want local currency. There were not local currencies on the ship and we did not want to be looking for an ATM right after disembarking so prepurchased some local currency from our bank before travel.

In Ontario, in Major Cities, we have currency exchanges.  If they don't have what you want for whatever country, they can order, only takes a few days.   You can return any paper money, for a refund, but no coins.  I always ask my cabin staff if the South Pacific is their regular route and if so, leave coins for them, along with extra tip.     They are so amazing.  Only big stores will take Credit cards, and in places, it is just locals, selling their crafts.     Kate

I am currently on the Grand Australian cruise and have not needed local currency on the islands. They keep telling us we need it and brought people on board  to exchange currency but once we got off  the ship they wanted US dollars. I would not stress about it. 

• Thanks 1

One thing I've done is make my first purchase with a crisp $20 bill and get some of the local currency as change.  I think it's worked fairly well for me.

Roy

• Like 2

A few days ago in Fiji on Volendam, "HFC Bank" set up a money exchange on Deck 3 in the atrium. They brought security and the ship had two security personnel making sure passengers didn't steal anything...

In Tahiti and Moorea, taxis and small vendors usually will only take XPF (French Pacific Franc).  Larger stores and hotels will take credit cards.

I will get some XPF from my bank in the USA before leaving but there is an ATM at the Faa'a PPT airport and in Papeete and a couple of them on Moorea.

~Nancy

In my 31 trips to French Polynesia I've never had an issue with stores, taxis, restaurants or most excursion vendors accepting the USD. On some of the smaller islands they prefer XPF and for this reason I always get some before our trip from our bank. The smaller islands don't have easy access to a bank on their little island. Most of the Cook islands vendors want NZD. 

Cruise lines have their own protocols in regards to local currencies. One cruise line my provide exchanges ... others may not. You need to ask the cruise in your on.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 4:28 AM, POA1 said:

Which islands are you looking at?

Fanning Island is part of The Republic of Kiribati and the currency is Australian dollars (note US notes may be accepted). Fanning Island (Tabuaeran) is quite remote and it is not easy for the locals to exchange foreign currency. It is very much off the grid except for some solar power.