Advice - transportation Southampton to London after cruise

Your plan Southampton to London is  as good a plan as any. However, your hotel is just up the road from Paddington station, so I would say a better plan to LHR is cab to the station and then Elizabeth line train to LHR (about £13ea). A bit more expensive than the coach, but a lot quicker. If you are worried about getting on and off trains, don't forget our stations have raised platforms, so you are more or less are on the same level as the doors.

Simon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, red4u2 said:

... and I walk with a cane at times, so a train with stairs wouldn't be good for us.

1 hour ago, sddsddean said:

If you are worried about getting on and off trains, don't forget our stations have raised platforms, so you are more or less are on the same level as the doors.

This does bear repetition: As a generalisation, UK trains don't have steps, but UK coaches do.

In an earlier post, I included a picture of a typical train door, showing a small portable ramp facilitating the boarding of a wheelchair user.

Indeed, on the Tube there are actually now many stations at which a wheelchair user can board and alight directly from the platform, with no ramp needed.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 1:45 AM, sddsddean said:

Your plan Southampton to London is  as good a plan as any. However, your hotel is just up the road from Paddington station, so I would say a better plan to LHR is cab to the station and then Elizabeth line train to LHR (about £13ea). A bit more expensive than the coach, but a lot quicker. If you are worried about getting on and off trains, don't forget our stations have raised platforms, so you are more or less are on the same level as the doors.

Simon

Thank you very much, i can do some stairs okay.. but flights of stairs with luggage is a bit much.

On 3/4/2024 at 6:22 AM, Globaliser said:

This does bear repetition: As a generalisation, UK trains don't have steps, but UK coaches do.

However, if travelling National Express the large luggage goes under the coach, and is put there by the driver, so that the passenger doesn't have to carry it up the steps.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 2:45 AM, sddsddean said:

....your hotel is just up the road from Paddington station, so I would say a better plan to LHR is cab to the station and then Elizabeth line train to LHR (about £13ea). A bit more expensive than the coach, but a lot quicker.........

Simon

Curious why Elizabeth line picked over Heathrow Express from Paddington to LHR? Thanks.

5 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Curious why Elizabeth line picked over Heathrow Express from Paddington to LHR? Thanks.

Basically ‘cos it’s cheaper. Although the advance booking price is £15 (so about the same) the ‘walk up’ price is £25, so nearly double. As they say “you pays your money and makes your choice “.

Simon

11 hours ago, red4u2 said:

i can do some stairs okay.. but flights of stairs with luggage is a bit much.

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

However, if travelling National Express the large luggage goes under the coach, and is put there by the driver, so that the passenger doesn't have to carry it up the steps.

For completeness, most National Express coaches can also take wheelchairs to/from most stops. And on both trains and coaches, assistance is available with luggage. So neither mode of transport is impossible for someone who sometimes walks with a cane.

The main point is that in the UK you can simply walk from the platform onto the train without there being any significant step or change in level. So someone who sometimes walks with a cane need not worry about a flight of stairs to board a UK train: they don't exist here (other than in exceptional cases).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travelbuds said:

There's an inexplicable cult of the Elizabeth Line 🤣

It is more expensive than the tube, slower and less comfortable than the HEX, yet it consistently gets recommended. It can get terribly overcrowded, there's nowhere to store luggage and it has one of the worst records in the country for disruption. 

From Paddington (and elsewhere in town), I'm on the HEX every time 😀

16 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

From Paddington (and elsewhere in town), I'm on the HEX every time 😀

Presumably that's coz your trip from your eyrie takes you to Paddington? 😉

As for the rest, it's horses for courses - much depends on where you're travelling to/from, and on your own view about the balance of factors.

For example, if you live next to Custom House station, you'd be mad not to take the Elizabeth Line.

Ditto if you need Tottenham Court Road: HEX + Bakerloo Line + Central Line is not an appealing route, especially with luggage, especially in the summer, and especially given the chronic shortage of Central Line trains at present.

To/from Paddington itself:

• If you need Heathrow Central, there's 6 tph on the Elizabeth Line but only 4 tph on the HEX.
  • If you need Heathrow Terminal 4, there's 4 tph on the Elizabeth Line but you're out of luck for HEX: you have to change trains at Heathrow Central.
  • Unless you plan in advance, the HEX is more than double the walk-up fare on the Elizabeth Line (£25.00 vs £12.20).

And so on.

14 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

There’s a reason the HEX is always empty and the Elizabeth line is super popular!

Curious which line has more luggage storage space. Visiting London for a couple days after a cruise before heading back to Heathrow Terminal 3 for an 11AM flight home. Will be staying near the Paddington station.

How far in advance do you suggest getting the reduced HEX fare? Thanks.

1 hour ago, travelbuds said:

Curious which line has more luggage storage space. Visiting London for a couple days after a cruise before heading back to Heathrow Terminal 3 for an 11AM flight home. Will be staying near the Paddington station.

How far in advance do you suggest getting the reduced HEX fare? Thanks.

For luggage storage definitely the HEX. There is none on the Elizabeth line.

You’ll want to book at least a month in advance to get the £15 fare, and ideally far more. They only sell a limited number of £15 tickets each day, and once they’re gone they’re gone and you have to pay the full fare of £25.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

You’ll want to book at least a month in advance to get the £15 fare, and ideally far more. They only sell a limited number of £15 tickets each day, and once they’re gone they’re gone and you have to pay the full fare of £25.

Thank you. We'll book early to get the reduced rate. Will book when we get air tickets. Need the luggage space.

5 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:
7 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Curious which line has more luggage storage space.

Not that you need luggage storage space on the Elizabeth Line. The trains have plenty of space and you just keep your luggage with you. Just like you'd keep your pram or pushchair with you, should you happen to be taking one.

I really don't understand the apparent CC obsession with luggage storage space on all of these commuter trains. In fact, one of the disadvantages of the luggage racks on the HEX is that they create a scrum and a bottleneck when the train arrives, as everyone queues up to manoeuvre their big heavy bags out of awkwardly-placed and awkwardly-shaped racks near the doors (see this photo and this photo for an idea). In contrast, on the Elizabeth Line you just stand up and walk off the train with your bags in hand.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Not that you need luggage storage space on the Elizabeth Line. The trains have plenty of space and you just keep your luggage with you. Just like you'd keep your pram or pushchair with you, should you happen to be taking one.

I really don't understand the apparent CC obsession with luggage storage space on all of these commuter trains. In fact, one of the disadvantages of the luggage racks on the HEX is that they create a scrum and a bottleneck when the train arrives, as everyone queues up to manoeuvre their big heavy bags out of awkwardly-placed and awkwardly-shaped racks near the doors (see this photo and this photo for an idea). In contrast, on the Elizabeth Line you just stand up and walk off the train with your bags in hand.

Believe me, I’m a huge advocate of the Elizabeth line. It’s revolutionised my journeys to Heathrow from the West End.

But I’m conscious that most users of this forum are from overseas and unfamiliar with London’s public transport, may not be as mobile as some of us and may come from the US where train travel isn’t the norm that it is in Europe so find the prospect of using a busy commuter train in a strange city daunting.

Elizabeth line trains don’t stop for long, there are often crowds to board and there’s often standing room only, like on the tube.

I’m fine with that - it’s part of London life - but for many CC users the HEX might be a better, more relaxing option given it’s often quiet, there’s dedicated luggage space, more chance of getting a seat and plenty of time to get on and off at Paddington. Yes, it’s overpriced and I never use it but I acknowledge it has its uses.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

But I’m conscious that most users of this forum are from overseas and unfamiliar with London’s public transport......and may come from the US where train travel isn’t the norm that it is in Europe so find the prospect of using a busy commuter train in a strange city daunting.......but for many CC users the HEX might be a better, more relaxing option given it’s often quiet, there’s dedicated luggage space, more chance of getting a seat and plenty of time to get on and off at Paddington. Yes, it’s overpriced and I never use it but I acknowledge it has its uses.

Thank you, Gumshoe! I'll just get my tickets early to cut off some of the cost.

Hello,

We could use some advise on our travel from Southampton Cruise Port to London. We are 3 adults (70+) and we plan to take our own luggage off when we depart in Southampton. We will each have 1 carry on suit case with wheels and 1 backpack. We disembark on a Wednesday, in May probably around 7:30 to 8:00 am. We plan on staying in London for 3 nights. We currently have a deposit on a hotel in Sussex Gardens, London. If the weather is good when we depart we might be able to walk to bus or train station in Southampton. If we need to take a taxi will there be plenty available at the cruise port? And what is the usual rate. We were thinking of taking the bus since it would be easy with them putting the luggage in the hold area of the bus. We don't like the idea of putting our luggage in a rack outside of the sitting area on the train where we can't see it. From what I have found so far the bus will take us to Victoria Station which is not close to our hotel and we do not want to have to try and get our luggage down to the Tube Station. Would the train be a better choice and if so which one to where especially since this will be a week day and I am sure the early trains will be quite full. Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, shay1 said:

We don't like the idea of putting our luggage in a rack outside of the sitting area on the train where we can't see it.

You won't. You just keep the luggage with you. You have more supervision over it than you would on the coach, where it will be out of sight.

Thank you I was under the impression you have to put it on the rack outside the seating area. So where are you putting it that means you have it with you? 

As a poster was just asking about the cost of a cab, I've been monitoring Uber as an option and it seems like it would be better for 3 of us taking an Ubrr XL than some private shuttle operators in terms of pricing. Has anyone else found that to be the case? We're fine paying a little extra to save some time riding direct in an Uber instead of taking the train or a bus.

17 hours ago, shay1 said:

Hello,

We could use some advise on our travel from Southampton Cruise Port to London. We are 3 adults (70+) and we plan to take our own luggage off when we depart in Southampton. We will each have 1 carry on suit case with wheels and 1 backpack. We disembark on a Wednesday, in May probably around 7:30 to 8:00 am. We plan on staying in London for 3 nights. We currently have a deposit on a hotel in Sussex Gardens, London. If the weather is good when we depart we might be able to walk to bus or train station in Southampton. If we need to take a taxi will there be plenty available at the cruise port? And what is the usual rate. We were thinking of taking the bus since it would be easy with them putting the luggage in the hold area of the bus. We don't like the idea of putting our luggage in a rack outside of the sitting area on the train where we can't see it. From what I have found so far the bus will take us to Victoria Station which is not close to our hotel and we do not want to have to try and get our luggage down to the Tube Station. Would the train be a better choice and if so which one to where especially since this will be a week day and I am sure the early trains will be quite full. Thanks for your help.

If interested check out International Friends.  They go on disembarkment days. They pick up at Southampton docks, stop at Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor then drop off at the door of certain London hotels.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

On 3/9/2024 at 7:56 PM, shay1 said:

Hello,

For simplicity’s sake I would book the National Express coach to Victoria, then jump in a cab or Uber to your hotel.

If you’d rather not use the tube (understandable) you’ll need a cab whether you use the train or the coach from Southampton.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I’ve found the perfect group to ask about traveling from Southampton to London! My husband and I are returning to the Southampton cruise port via Royal Caribbean on a Friday at 6am. We have to catch a 1:55p flight at Heathrow same day. What’s the best way to get from the port to Heathrow? We do plan to carry our luggage off the boat, no problem there. Train or bus? Anything direct?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

4 hours ago, Dreams of Traveling said:

Looks like I’ve found the perfect group to ask about traveling from Southampton to London! My husband and I are returning to the Southampton cruise port via Royal Caribbean on a Friday at 6am. We have to catch a 1:55p flight at Heathrow same day. What’s the best way to get from the port to Heathrow? We do plan to carry our luggage off the boat, no problem there. Train or bus? Anything direct?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

The easiest way is the direct National Express coach (bus) from Southampton to LHR. However the times aren’t ideal for you: there’s one at 7:30, which I’m not sure you’d catch even if you’re off the ship early, and one at 9:45 which doesn’t arrive at LHR until 12:00 which is very tight for your flight.

So although it involves a change en route, I’d advise catching the train from Southampton Central to Woking, then the Railair bus from there to LHR. That runs every 30 minutes and the 8:30 train, for example, would get you into LHR by 10:45.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1