Picture-A-Week 2024 - Week 05

Pictures taken between Monday, January 29 and Sunday, February 4.

February is here.

I have it on good authority that there will be an extra day this month that will extend the time available to take photos and post them here.

I will continue to research this and will let you know what I find. Meanwhile, shoot, post, repeat.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

I hung out over an old winch on the ocean floor off the Florida Keys this morning, just waiting to see if an interesting fish would swim by.  I was happy to see a pair of French Angelfish come for a visit.  (DJI Action 2, no filtering, single BigBlue 4600PB)

Winchand2frenchies.thumb.jpg.9cb437ca1379893bdce9c778cc3f3e7d.jpg

Winchandfrenchie.thumb.jpg.2e141e5a60bed449b5cce975482326e2.jpg

• Like 5

The day after returning from Kim's birthday cruise, our daughters insisted on coming over to watch the 49er's game. Needless to say, having a gaggle of folks over for a gathering the day after a 14-hour travel marathon was the last thing on our list of activities for a post-cruise Sunday afternoon. As it turns out, it was all an excuse to present Kim’s with the birthday gift they had gone together on and were too excited about to wait another week to deliver. Our Chloe has been gone for a decade, but they know we still have a serious soft spot for wiener dogs. Somehow, they figured that affection for the breed would extend to a five-foot long bench in the shape of one. Turns out it does. We now have a wiener dog bench named Longfellow.

Longfellow

2024-05Longfellow.thumb.jpg.38bd5839cb3a859886fa74f8587a75a9.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pierces said:

Our Chloe has been gone for a decade, but they know we still have a serious soft spot for wiener dogs. Somehow, they figured that affection for the breed would extend to a five-foot long bench in the shape of one. Turns out it does. We now have a wiener dog bench named Longfellow.

Longfellow

2024-05Longfellow.thumb.jpg.38bd5839cb3a859886fa74f8587a75a9.jpg

We had a weiner dog named Khloe (I used Chloe). She died last month at the ripe old age of 15. The bench is a lovely gift.

Dave

4 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

We had a weiner dog named Khloe (I used Chloe). She died last month at the ripe old age of 15. The bench is a lovely gift.

We now think the universe is trying to tell us something. While in Key West on the birthday cruise, we came across a group of locals celebrating Wienerpalooza with their doxies all dressed up and showing off. 

2024-01Apex-05305.thumb.jpg.ad234422c8b1bb7a55c26001af77919b.jpg

I think we are doomed to get another dog though after our Cookie passed a couple of years ago, I just worry my heart couldn't take losing another one.

Dogs are magical.

Dave

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I simply can't imagine life without a dog. Or a cat.

We have granddogs for now and enjoy the cat network. (Our name for the endless visitations by the neighborhood cats on our security cameras.)

Dane

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Taken on January 30th .... the Blue Lagoon on Fakarava.

Drone ... no filters ... it really looks like this 😉

DJI_0525-Edit-2.jpg

It does, that brings back memories of our cruise there a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The wild side of Nuku Hiva ... Marquesas.

Sony RX10IV ... no filters.

DSC07206-Edit-2.jpg

This one also brings back great memories of that cruise, parts of the world we may never get back to. So glad we had the chance to explore that part of the world.

I still exist, people!  I didn't shun the boards or anything - just been crazy busy dealing with all the paperwork and attorneys and filing and bills from my parents' deaths and trying to keep up with work and everything else.  It's amazing how many things you have to change - the obvious things like property and utility bills are one thing - but transferring insurance, online accounts, credit cards, shopping accounts, subscriptions, and so on - it seems every month 5 more things pop up.

I did get the chance to take a little break from it all last weekend - took a 4 day trip to Disney World just to decompress, meet up with a few friends, and not think about all the stuff to deal with at home for a spell.  A few pics from the trip:

Japan pavilion in Epcot on a beautiful day:

original.jpg

Epcot is under construction - has been for the past 2 years and still another year to go - the latest section to open is the central hub area, which is like a park setting with lots of seating, trees, lighting, and garden tiers:

original.jpg

The village of Harambe, in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom park - another beautiful day:
original.jpg

Male lion, resting up on the kopi (rock), watching over his domain:

original.jpg

This lowland gorilla walked right up to the edge of the moat and stared directly at me - very intensely...I think he felt I was a challenger to his alpha superiority - I didn't think I looked quite that hairy and threatening, but I am a big guy:

original.jpg

If there was any doubt that he was challenging me, the next shot proves it - he leapt in the air, hammering his chest loudly and grunting at me:

original.jpg

And then stared me down again threateningly...so I backed off and let him know he's the alpha in this area:

original.jpg

The busses at Disney can run late from your resort sometimes, you can just miss one pulling out before you get there, and they can sometimes get full - lots of challenges getting the bus to the parks.  But this was one of the stranger difficulties getting to the bus - a large male turkey displaying himself for his lady was standing right in the middle of the parking lot on the way to the bus stop - when I tried to pass, he'd run at me and challenge.  What was it with all the animals thinking I'm challenging their manhood?:

original.jpg

The last night, I ate over at Disney Springs, then walked back around the lake at dusk to my villa at Saratoga Springs - on one final lovely evening:

original.jpg

(I'm going to try to pop in here more often - but it'll still be choppy as I am still working out all the legal stuff, the probate filing, etc. which will likely stretch through the year).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zackiedawg said:

I still exist, people!  I didn't shun the boards or anything - just been crazy busy dealing with all the paperwork and attorneys and filing and bills from my parents' deaths and trying to keep up with work and everything else.  It's amazing how many things you have to change - the obvious things like property and utility bills are one thing - but transferring insurance, online accounts, credit cards, shopping accounts, subscriptions, and so on - it seems every month 5 more things pop up

Life keeps happening. We just have to do our best to keep up as it throws things at us.

Glad to see you back.

Dave