HAL reschedules the GWV to avoid the Red Sea

Wehwalt

Thanks for confirming that a change has happened 👍   This is not a surprise and glad to see that HAL has announced it so those on can plan.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, whogo said:

Thanks, Wehwalt. Looks like it arrives two days later than the original itinerary. I am keeping an eye out for bargain prices on revised itineraries.

The photo is fuzzy on my phone, but it looks like it says May 11. If so that is the the same as original day to disembark. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

The photo is fuzzy on my phone, but it looks like it says May 11. If so that is the the same as original day to disembark. 

You are correct, mawvkysc. My mistake.

2 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

I'm one of the passengers scheduled to embark on May 11th in Ft Lauderdale as well.  It's so sad that the crazy violent people in the world are causing so much disruption to the rest who are only going about their business.  I'm glad to hear that HAL has managed to rearrange the last part of the World Cruise.  Hopefully those on board will enjoy the new itinerary.

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

Just reading that a USA warship just had a close call with a enemy missile fired at them in the Red Sea.....Would not like to be on a HAL ship enjoying my lido breakfast when the missiles are incoming......thinking an itinerary change is in order.....makes my grumbling of "why are they canceling Key West for Freeport" seem silly and trivial.....while at the time, we were mad & upset....LOL> 

21 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Just reading that a USA warship just had a close call with a enemy missile fired at them in the Red Sea.....

Any ship in the Red Sea is a sitting duck. That body of water is just 200 miles at its widest. Narrows dramatically near the southern entrance.

Even individual warships are vulnerable. The problem is that naval vessels are designed for combat against other warships. The vessels would have similar advantages (mobility) and limitations (ammo and fuel). Against a land adversary, the dynamic change dramatically.

The Houlti/Iranians could have 50 or a 100 drones/missiles within range. A mass attack with a clever tactical plan would be dangerous for a lone USS.

In any case, an aerial attack isn't the only danger in the region.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gunmen-hostages-us-companys-turkish-173423446.html

Edited by HappyInVan

and that leaves a lot of folks on the longest World Cruise on Serenade wondering the same on how the ship will get from Dubia to Athens.   Will they go around Africa or what?

Seems a shame that no country can keep the red Seas safe. 

• Like 1