Suggested items to take on your cruise

ScottC4746

From a seasoned cruiser here are some tips for first time cruisers:

• If you have a verandah or balcony, do bring the cushions in at night, especially and very humid regions, otherwise you will have wet cushions.  The same if it is to rain.
  • In the daytime if in a port with the same as above, bring your cushions in as they often clean the outside of this using lots of water and everything on your balcony is drenched.  On port days after removing the cushions, tip your chairs towards the cabin if you can.  Alert your steward why the cushions are inside so that don't put them back out.
  • During rainy season, do the above tips to keep everything dry.
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:52 PM, ScottC4746 said:

From a seasoned cruiser here are some tips for first time cruisers:

• If you have a verandah or balcony, do bring the cushions in at night, especially and very humid regions, otherwise you will have wet cushions.  The same if it is to rain.
  • In the daytime if in a port with the same as above, bring your cushions in as they often clean the outside of this using lots of water and everything on your balcony is drenched.  On port days after removing the cushions, tip your chairs towards the cabin if you can.  Alert your steward why the cushions are inside so that don't put them back out.
  • During rainy season, do the above tips to keep everything dry.

Alternately, ask your cabin steward for a couple extra towels and use them to wipe down your wet chair ... or fold them and use them as a cushion.  

OP, your title mentioned items to take on a cruise, yet you mentioned none. As for all that moving of cushions in and out and in and out- I've got better things to do with my time. And IIRC on my preferred ships, the balcony chairs don't have cushions. Extra towels to dry things if needed are easy to come by.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 2:13 PM, mom says said:

OP, your title mentioned items to take on a cruise, yet you mentioned none. As for all that moving of cushions in and out and in and out- I've got better things to do with my time. And IIRC on my preferred ships, the balcony chairs don't have cushions. Extra towels to dry things if needed are easy to come by.

Agree!  Was curious what the singular focus on keeping the balcony cushions dry has to do with thread title.  Or with anything, for that matter.  Curious also just how seasoned a cruiser the OP is as, no offense intended, most balcony cushions are intended for outdoor use an not sure that the daytime is any less humid than the evening. I also didn't realize it was our responsibility to care for them.  In our experience anytime they are planning to clean the balconies we have been notified, but never asked to bring the cushions in.  And why, pray tell, tip your chairs towards the stateroom on port days?  And why on these days are we also to bring the cushions inside? 

Sorry, but I guess I'm missing something here.

• Like 2

Title is off, but the OP is clearly offering a suggestion for what might be a good practice.  As mentioned already, this parallels an already active thread.  

Edited by ldubs

17 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Was curious what the singular focus on keeping the balcony cushions dry has to do with thread title.  Or with anything, for that matter. 

that.

And, anyway, I do not recall any cushions on any of our cruises when we were fortunate enough to sail in a regular balcony cabin.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

that.

And, anyway, I do not recall any cushions on any of our cruises when we were fortunate enough to sail in a regular balcony cabin.

You are correct.  They have appeared in suite balconies on some ships, however. (And I would think in that case it would be the responsibility of the suite butler to manage the daily cushion schedule - LOL.) 

But I was mainly just trying to go with the flow and address the OP's comments without digressing......😉

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:13 AM, mom says said:

I wanted to leave room for others to chime in.  Okay:

Do bring binder clips for those pesky curtains that don't stay closed.  (I do that in hotels)

On 2/12/2024 at 11:42 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

You are correct.  They have appeared in suite balconies on some ships, however. (And I would think in that case it would be the responsibility of the suite butler to manage the daily cushion schedule - LOL.) 

But I was mainly just trying to go with the flow and address the OP's comments without digressing......😉

You would think but they don't.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

You would think but they don't.

Well, and no offense intended to your position on this, if it was truly an important enough concern to the cruise lines, then you would think that the staff would be trained on proper balcony furniture maintenance to then take care of the issue themselves.  Or at the very least post an advisory in the staterooms if, under certain circumstances, passenger assistance was needed. 

Sorry, but I still feel no responsibility to manage the balcony furniture in the manner you've suggested while on my cruise.  Nor have I ever experienced any negative issues from not doing so.  And, again, I mean this as no offense to you. 🙂

• Like 1

back to the original topic... suggested item would be binoculars.  Just bought  new HD pair to take on a cruise.  Spent hours whale watching off Cabo San Lucas.  HD lenses made everything so much more clearer.  Now, as for the cushions that are being spoken about.  If the cushion are wet, I would tell my steward.  Let them deal with it ( it might actually go up the corporate ladder and into training).  I was in Haven, aft balcony, and the towels provided on the lunges were always dirty and damp. Once they supplied me with fresh ones, I would fold them over the top of the lounger, so I least I could use it for morning lounging with coffee.  

Two things I'll never cruise without:

* Large, strong magnetic hooks come in handy and will stick to your cabin walls. Great for hanging umbrellas, lanyards, sweaters, backpacks, swimsuits, etc.

* Full size trash bags (they come in handy for wet swimsuits and make excellent dirty clothes "hampers"). At the end of the cruise, we just throw the entire trash bag full of dirty clothes in our suitcase, all sealed up in a trash bag. Makes packing a breeze!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 11:27 PM, moviegal said:

Two things I'll never cruise without:

* Large, strong magnetic hooks come in handy and will stick to your cabin walls. Great for hanging umbrellas, lanyards, sweaters, backpacks, swimsuits, etc.

* Full size trash bags (they come in handy for wet swimsuits and make excellent dirty clothes "hampers"). At the end of the cruise, we just throw the entire trash bag full of dirty clothes in our suitcase, all sealed up in a trash bag. Makes packing a breeze!

I've got the wife and one of our adult children on board (no pun intended) with the magnetic hook part, but the full size trash bag idea is pretty genius to me. I may suggest that, since 3 of my kids are technically "adults" now, and they have the opportunity to be "responsible" haha!

Seriously, though. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

we now use one of the Marshalls/TJMaxx large reusable shopping bag as a hamper. It's easier to hang on a hook if needed or it will stand on its own, unlike a regular trash bag.

We also use them as beach bags since they are spacious, light, easy to clean and more or less waterproof.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2ac396eac782805253802c208c42fad.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/7/2024 at 4:29 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we now use one of the Marshalls/TJMaxx large reusable shopping bag as a hamper. It's easier to hang on a hook if needed or it will stand on its own, unlike a regular trash bag.

We also use them as beach bags since they are spacious, light, easy to clean and more or less waterproof.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2ac396eac782805253802c208c42fad.jpeg

That’s cute! I often buy a cheap supermarket shopping bag as a souvenir when we travel. My two current favourites are one from Albertson’s in Idaho, and one from New Zealand. They weigh very little, and fold nicely flat. Easy to get home, and handy to use on a cruise! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The OTC medicine stash. I have a clear vinyl zippable Dopp-kit sized container that I fill with small or travel-sized bottles, or packets, of:

ibuprofen

acetominophen

Pepto-Bismol tablets

throat lozenges

Metamucil gummies

decongestant tabs

cough suppressant tabs

a few BandAids in different sizes

little single-use packets of Neosporin

You get the idea. Customize to your likely needs and trip length. Ship’s store may or may not have what you need, may not be open when you need it, and will definitely cost you more. 

Grocery stores and drug stores usually have a travel-sized area. And - search the check-out areas in Staples and Office Depot, as they cater to business travelers. 

Edited by TwoNavySalts
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 7:22 AM, Noledad77 said:

I've got the wife and one of our adult children on board (no pun intended) with the magnetic hook part, but the full size trash bag idea is pretty genius to me. I may suggest that, since 3 of my kids are technically "adults" now, and they have the opportunity to be "responsible" haha!

Seriously, though. Thanks for the suggestions!

The trash bag idea is seriously the best for us! I love it because all the dirty clothes are corralled into one big trash bag after our trip. I tie it up and throw it in one suitcase (and it doesn't mix with the clean clothes that I move to our second suitcase). When I get home, I just unzip the suitcase, take out the garbage bag, and haul it straight to the laundry room! So, so easy! I need to start a "lazy travel tips" blog, LOL!!!!

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 7:59 PM, Pudgesmom said:

Take a small sprayer of air freshener or perfume. The bathrooms are small and your traveling companion will thank you. 

Or....find the little drain in the floor of the bathroom (not the one in the shower), and pour a glass or two of tap water into it. That will alleviate most odors. (And personally, I wouldn't appreciate the use of a freshener or perfume. But that is a personal preference.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Like said above: The OTC medicine stash. Plus, any personal meds. Passport and government issued ID. I also take a couple of empty gallon size zip lock bags. I call them my bug out bags.

Just in case there is an emergency and you have to abandon ship, you can put essential meds, passport, ID, money, cell phone, camera cards in the bag just in case you do end in the water.