Icon of the Seas Surfside Family suite -deck 11

My DH and I will be sailing on the Icon in a few weeks.  We booked a surfside family suite.  We wanted the suite perks and this was the least expensive suite when we booked.  My question is the area very noisy for two senior adults?  We are considering placing a move up bid as we are concerned the neighborhood might not work for us.  The suite itself seems comfortable, but should we try to move?  Anybody sail in these suites have an opinion?

I just watched a video that interviewed a couple who stayed in the Surfside balconies and they said there was no significant noise associated with kids as everyone is afraid of there.  I'd go for it, they're nicely done up cabins.  And come back and tell us about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx4tQgm-7BQ  at approx. 4:30 on the video

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I just watched a video that interviewed a couple who stayed in the Surfside balconies and they said there was no significant noise associated with kids as everyone is afraid of there.  I'd go for it, they're nicely done up cabins.  And come back and tell us about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx4tQgm-7BQ  at approx. 4:30 on the video

I would agree with Peter & Kitra's take (from that YouTube video). I have actually seen people say that the new Surfside is actually quieter than the Oasis class Boardwalk area - especially at night. Since there is no JR / Playmakers / Aqua Theater, the area is very quiet & empty after 5-6pm. 

You might be more "at risk" of noise from your left & right neighbors if either have a few kids in there but all in all it seems like it will be nice back there...

Thanks for the replies- but this is a surfside family suite- so I would anticipate neighbors might have kids-  I will try to royal up to another suite location- but the pricing is so crazy.   

We love the Oasis ships- especially the crown loft suites-

We have two SurfSide Suites (11709 & 11705) booked for May. One will have our DS, DIL and a 6 & 10 year old). We were supposed to have two of our other grandkids in with us in the 2nd one but now they can't go and will have them as "no shows" since I don't want to take the chance of RCI changing our cabin..

I have no concerns about any noise issues as it can't be as bad as the Boardwalk Balconies our extended family had on Harmony. 

OP try for an UpBid worth it to take a chance.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Thanks for the replies- but this is a surfside family suite- so I would anticipate neighbors might have kids-  I will try to royal up to another suite location- but the pricing is so crazy.   

We love the Oasis ships- especially the crown loft suites-

No guarantee a royal up to somewhere else won't also have kids next door... 🙂

I'm interested to see what happens with these cabins.  I've been looking at them as a family with a toddler but they are definitely the cheapest entry point to Sky Class, usually even beating the pricing of Sea Class junior suites I'm assuming because they don't have ocean view balconies.

3 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

No guarantee a royal up to somewhere else won't also have kids next door... 🙂

True.....and also some adults can be just as noisy 😬

• Haha 1

We looked at the Family Suite for my wife and I.  We decided to go a different route after reading some thoughts from people who stayed in one and watching videos.  Some things that swayed us were size of the room...lack of storage...no counter space in bathrooms.  Size is the biggest one...at only 265 sq feet..that is barely larger than the infinite balcony.  It is the cheapest suite option for sure, but not sure I would spend that money just to get the cheapest suite when the cheapest suite is not cheap.  Just my opinion tho...

Edited by Sail2k

On 2/7/2024 at 11:41 AM, Sail2k said:

We looked at the Family Suite for my wife and I.  We decided to go a different route after reading some thoughts from people who stayed in one and watching videos.  Some things that swayed us were size of the room...lack of storage...no counter space in bathrooms.  Size is the biggest one...at only 265 sq feet..that is barely larger than the infinite balcony.  It is the cheapest suite option for sure, but not sure I would spend that money just to get the cheapest suite when the cheapest suite is not cheap.  Just my opinion tho...

IMO a big difference in sailing in suite class vs. regular class- the lounge, deck and restaurant are so worth it to us-  We like to be in bed by 11 PM and I am concerned that the area might be noisy- however I would rather be in a an entry level suite then a regular balcony cabin.  We have put in move up bids.  But don't expect to get a move up as the prime suites sell fast and are limited.  You have a better chance of a move up from an interior cabin to a balcony cabin with a good bid.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 7:40 AM, Cruise a holic said:

IMO a big difference in sailing in suite class vs. regular class- the lounge, deck and restaurant are so worth it to us-  We like to be in bed by 11 PM and I am concerned that the area might be noisy- however I would rather be in a an entry level suite then a regular balcony cabin.  We have put in move up bids.  But don't expect to get a move up as the prime suites sell fast and are limited.  You have a better chance of a move up from an interior cabin to a balcony cabin with a good bid.

We def get that...our last few cruises have been sky class.  What we found out on our last cruise is that yes you need reservations for dinner at costal kitchen if you are in a junior suite..you are also allowed in the lounge and at the bar.  The drinks are not free, but you can go in there.  I always thought different, but on Wonder the bar tenders told us otherwise.  We will test the water in March, as we booked a great last minute deal for a jr suite...but the one we are really excited to see is the sunset corner suite we have booked for Sept 24.  We love the sun decks and the suite sun deck looks great on Icon!! 

• Like 1