Drink Packages

1 hour ago, kermie1963 said:

I do not drink enough to warrant it then.

That's exactly the conclusion I came to. I don't really drink much anyway so I don't want to have to just to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Personally, I feel like the pressure to drink more to get my money's worth would make my experience less enjoyable than just going with the flow and having drinks when I really want them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I wasn't being critical of you or your post, I was using it as a springboard to post thoughts for other people to consider, since there are other people reading this thread who haven't made up their minds. A lot of people will look at the "6 alcoholic drinks per day" and say "well, I don't drink that much so it's not worth it", without looking at everything else. I mean, it doesn't matter a wit to me whether or not they consider everything because it isn't my money, but we do try to be helpful here (at least sometimes🙂). At the end of the day we all have to make this determination for ourselves based on our own patterns. 

Fair enough. I guess I was just reiterating that it was my position based on my calculation, so that won't be the same for everyone for sure. And it's good for people to have a diversity of viewpoints.

I for one appreciate having some perspective so I can see things from a different set of eyes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bg2310 said:

That's exactly the conclusion I came to. I don't really drink much anyway so I don't want to have to just to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Personally, I feel like the pressure to drink more to get my money's worth would make my experience less enjoyable than just going with the flow and having drinks when I really want them.

Same situation I ran into on the few cruises where we did buy Cheers. We drank more to get our money's worth. Didn't enjoy the cruise as a consequence.

Same reason why I don't enjoy all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants. I eat to excess and don't feel good afterward.

It's easier for me to stay away from things like that.

I have metioned this in several other "Is Cheers worth it?" threads. 

Many moons ago we were on a B2B and decided to run a cost analysis experiment and do Cheers the 1st week and pay as we go the 2nd week. We spent significantly more the 2nd week. To the tune of hundreds of dollars. 

I don’t really understand when people feel the need to drink more than they may want, just to “get their money’s worth.”  I mean once you buy it, the money is gone, right?  So why not just drink what you want without any concern about coming out ahead?  An assessment after the cruise can verify if Cheers was a good idea, if you are unsure.  That can help you make the decision the next time.  Once I buy Cheers I don’t worry if it was a good decision or try to come out ahead, since nothing can be done about it at that point.  That's just my philosophy about it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tha sista said:

The price of convenience should also be considered.  It is nice knowing that your drink cost regardless of the type of drink is covered.  I get the cheers package and I tend to fall a little short of breaking even but not enough to quibble about.  I like the convenience therefore I get it.

This is similar to my attitude about it. We're on the Dream in a few weeks and we almost didn't get Cheers this time. But in the end, the convenience factor and being able to try some top shelf drinks we might otherwise pass up sold us (again). Well, that, and the newegg promo for 50 bucks off a $500 gift card from a couple weeks ago. 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PlanoTim said:

I don’t really understand when people feel the need to drink more than they may want, just to “get their money’s worth.”  I mean once you buy it, the money is gone, right?  So why not just drink what you want without any concern about coming out ahead?  An assessment after the cruise can verify if Cheers was a good idea, if you are unsure.  That can help you make the decision the next time.  Once I buy Cheers I don’t worry if it was a good decision or try to come out ahead, since nothing can be done about it at that point.  That's just my philosophy about it.

I fully admit it is a character flaw of mine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PlanoTim said:

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I fully admit it is a character flaw of mine.

It doesn't take much to "get your money's worth". You come out ahead rather quickly.

Just now, stobe1 said:

It doesn't take much to "get your money's worth". You come out ahead rather quickly.

The same can be said for buffet restaurants, yet many of us eat to excess because we can.

19 hours ago, ineedadisplayname1Vbbjhju said:

so is cheers good when you order speciality coffees at the coffee place on celebration ?

If all you are getting are coffees, you'll have to buy ALOT of them to make CHEERS! work.  We usually get coffees, sport drink, water, and about 4 drinks per day, so it works for US.

13 minutes ago, HotinHavasu said:

I'd love to see mixed drink solo price menu.   2024 Celebrity Nov 16

There are drink menus available on the internet with a simple Google search. You mentioned Celebrity but this is a Carnival forum, btw.

Those saying it takes 8+ drinks to break even either aren't doing the math correctly, aren't accounting for the wide variety of non-alcoholic drinks covered, or perhaps a bit of both,

At $12/drink (which is a rounded average across various sorts of alcoholic drinks: the average cost for beer alone would be lower, wine and frozen drinks are in that ballpark, and cocktails higher) you'd need to average 6 drinks/day/person though that only takes into account alcohol. Cheers also allows unlimited soda, bottled water, specialty (meaning anything but the most basic, available at the buffet/MDR) coffee, milkshakes, energy drinks, and a couple of others, which must be factored in as well, bringing down the number of alcoholic drinks to hit the break-even point.

You can use a calculator, such as this one, to help you determine if the package would work for your cabin.

52 minutes ago, rlloyd3 said:

You can use a calculator, such as this one, to help you determine if the package would work for your cabin.

That's not going to stop the same question being asked another 4 or 5 times before the next moon cycle.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rlloyd3 said:

Those saying it takes 8+ drinks to break even either aren't doing the math correctly, aren't accounting for the wide variety of non-alcoholic drinks covered, or perhaps a bit of both,

At $12/drink (which is a rounded average across various sorts of alcoholic drinks: the average cost for beer alone would be lower, wine and frozen drinks are in that ballpark, and cocktails higher) you'd need to average 6 drinks/day/person though that only takes into account alcohol. Cheers also allows unlimited soda, bottled water, specialty (meaning anything but the most basic, available at the buffet/MDR) coffee, milkshakes, energy drinks, and a couple of others, which must be factored in as well, bringing down the number of alcoholic drinks to hit the break-even point.

There is savings in the gratuites also.  Unless you tip extra, you pay only $9 and change per day under CHEERS.  If you order  4 $12 drinks and one $6 latte you will pay $9.72 in grats.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rlloyd3 said:

To be fair the other drinks need to be factored in only if the passenger in question drinks them. I rarely drink soda, so I don't include that in my calculations. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rlloyd3 said:

At $12/drink (which is a rounded average across various sorts of alcoholic drinks: the average cost for beer alone would be lower, wine and frozen drinks are in that ballpark, and cocktails higher) you'd need to average 6 drinks/day/person though that only takes into account alcohol.

5 drinks to break even at $12 a drink for cruises 6 days or longer. 

6 drinks to break even at $12 a drink for cruises less than 6 days. 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:05 PM, PlanoTim said:

While I completely understand, I use my 'lack of Cheers excuse' to self limit my own drinking. For me signing for each drink keeps my consumption down. And that generally means a better cruise.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 7:04 PM, stobe1 said:

That depends on what "worth it" means to you.

If you are a two or three drink per day person then no it isn't

If you are a steady drinker like me on vacation then yes it is. A bloody mary or mimosa or two in the morning with breakfast, a michelada or two after, maybe a spiked Irish coffee, a few beers by the pool in the afternoon, a pre dinner cocktail or two at Alchemy before dinner, a glass of wine or two with dinner, then finish up in the night club or piano bar with a shot or two of tequila...then add in sodas and water and gatorade throughout the day to stay hydrated, then yes Cheers is worth it.

Nice to see a fellow Chicagoan with a very similar drinking schedule! 🙂

20+ cruises and we've always done Cheers.  We get a bottle of water with every drink, a specialty coffee or two each day, etc.  Also - on the newer ships like Mardi Gras, Celebration & Jubilee, you can certainly get your money's worth much easier, with so many different bars offering the higher priced specialty drinks...