Oh, for the love of Cookies! Say it ain't so...

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

Ok, this discussion made me put this leftover pack of really nice Christmas cookies among things to pack.

most americans have no idea what a "biscuit" is and also many who are incapable of conceptual thinking may not understand how a baked good that is not round could possibly be a cookie.

i do like the way they proudly proclaim the almond percentage on the packaging.

89% white flour and spices and ingredients you never heard of!

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

Ok, this discussion made me put this leftover pack of really nice Christmas cookies among things to pack.

("Leftover" because I have had so many other yummy things to eat. Love them and cannot believe I haven't eaten them already! Over two weeks until I leav though, so by then they may not still be around.)

IMG_20240218_160816.jpg

Those look like what we call 'windmill' cookies.

• Thanks 1

Darn you people who mentioned Crumbl cookies! I had to go to their website and find out if they had one close to me and lo and behold there is one in my small burg that I wasn't aware of. Now I will have to go there tomorrow and buy one of each to do a taste comparison and when I gain 25 lbs. it will be the fault of you fine folks on Cruise Critic.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Darn you people who mentioned Crumbl cookies! I had to go to their website and find out if they had one close to me and lo and behold there is one in my small burg that I wasn't aware of. Now I will have to go there tomorrow and buy one of each to do a taste comparison and when I gain 25 lbs. it will be the fault of you fine folks on Cruise Critic.

The first time I had Crumbl cookies I thought there was something wrong with me.  I love all cookies even stale cookies.  But I thought the cookies were not good.  Sure enough my neighbor brought us 6 Crumbl cookies for Christmas.  They were horrible.  I could not understand why they taste like playdough with all this fake icing.  I googled them and found out they were made famous by Instagram.  They look amazing.  They are works of art.  But its all visual.  They are horrible tasting.  A good pastry is about the taste, not the look.  Try them and see.   They are made to catch your eye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I ask them to serve me both halves of the bagel.  They are so tiny.

Just a bit surprised they only gave you a half - I assume in the MDR.

At the buffet, you automatically get the whole one.

They are not bagel shop size, but not bad (a whole one). Slightly bigger than the English muffins.

2 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

Apologies.

They just opened a new shop close to me.

The chocolate lava is crazy good - unless it's rotate out already. Not sure what day they change the menu.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Just a bit surprised they only gave you a half - I assume in the MDR.

At the buffet, you automatically get the whole one.

the MDR serves a whole plain bagel if your order a bagel;  toasted upon request.

if you order a "smoked salmon bagel" in the MDR (a.k.a. "lox with a schmear"), they now serve only half a bagel. if you want the whole bagel, with lox on each side, you have to specify that you want a "double order" or explicitly state that you want "both sides of the bagel with lox on each side."

NCL buffets no longer offer smoked salmon.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:32 PM, RocketMan275 said:

On Prima 2 Feb., I found no cookies.  I looked.  Every day.

The Studio lounge had declicious cookies (as well as some pound cake) on the Getaway Jan 12th. I picked some up every evening.

On 2/11/2024 at 9:59 AM, cruiser2015 said:

BTW, have you heard about the new towel animal replacement?

Every day, our steward (last month on the Bliss) arranged the bed pillows in a different pattern.

Not quite as entertaining as the animals, but interesting.

You know, I'm betting the room attendants are really glad the towel animals are gone. 

On 2/17/2024 at 9:22 PM, BirdTravels said:

Today at the buffet…

IMG_6948.thumb.jpeg.5434d97631d43c29295ca2d812972b6a.jpeg

… on the Freedom of the Seas Windjammer. 

uhhhh - yeah, but this is an NCL discussion.  RCL is a whole nuther discussion. RCL always had better buffet desserts anyway, IMHO.  

23 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

You know, I'm betting the room attendants are really glad the towel animals are gone. 

Maybe it's time for us to turn the tide and start entertaining our room attendants with animals that we make up!  image.thumb.png.f7ce553ea5cf7deed28f81f9d465985d.png

• Haha 8

29 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

The Studio lounge had declicious cookies (as well as some pound cake) on the Getaway Jan 12th. I picked some up every evening.

Now I'll have to figure out a way to sneak into the Studio Lounge to get some.

52 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Ooh - sounds like another attack on the environment...

Save the towel animals!

20 hours ago, UKstages said:

most americans have no idea what a "biscuit" is and also many who are incapable of conceptual thinking may not understand how a baked good that is not round could possibly be a cookie.

What?  Huh?

1st one is Biscuits.  2nd one is a cookie (chocolate chip, to be exact).  This is fundamental stuff here.

Image.png

Image.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

What?  Huh?

can't tell if you're joking or not, but throughout certain parts of europe, that first photo would appear to be a scone; the second one, particularly in the UK, would be a biscuit. "cookie," when the term is even used in the UK, refers to a thicker and chunkier type of baked good.

the photo in the post that i was referring to (post #150) showed a package of "biscuits." my comment was regarding that photo... taken out of context, it might seem like i don't know what a good old fashioned american biscuit is, or a chocolate chip cookie, for that matter.

"cookies" (as we understand the term in the USA) are "biscuits" in the UK, unless the company is purposefully marketing to americans or trying to build equity in the idea of an american-style product or offering up a thicker, chewier, softer baked good.

french fries are chips, cotton candy is candy floss, an elevator is a lift, an apartment is a flat, a garbage can is a rubbish bin and a cookie is most definitely a biscuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, UKstages said:

can't tell if you're joking or not, but throughout certain parts of europe, that first photo would appear to be a scone; the second one, particularly in the UK, would be a biscuit. "cookie," when the term is even used in the UK, refers to a thicker and chunkier type of baked good.

the photo in the post that i was referring to (post #150) showed a package of "biscuits." my comment was regarding that photo... taken out of context, it might seem like i don't know what a good old fashioned american biscuit is, or a chocolate chip cookie, for that matter.

"cookies" (as we understand the term in the USA) are "biscuits" in the UK, unless the company is purposefully marketing to americans or trying to build equity in the idea of an american-style product or offering up a thicker, chewier, softer baked good.

french fries are chips, cotton candy is candy floss, an elevator is a lift, an apartment is a flat, a garbage can is a rubbish bin and a cookie is most definitely a biscuit.

Just "yanking your chain".  But, you do seem to like to insult those of us in the U.S.  I just don't understand why.

Personally, I don't care what you call a cookie.  You can make yours round, square, oblong...don't really care.

Biscuits, in some parts of the U.S., are serious business.  Don't try to pass off a cookie as a biscuit in  Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia, etc.  

So, the cookie conversation got me thinking...gee, every day I make a bunch of cookies at the bakery. Here's a photo of the chocolate chip vegan cookies. And dayum, are they good! Also, not $4+ like that Starbucks one @OrcaGirl got. These are under $2 each and just oooooooooooze chocolate. The sprinkling of kosher salt I add just before the bake gives them a nice bite. One of the many reasons I don't want cruise ship cookies - they're just not good...well, at least not NCL cookies. Anyone want me to make you a batch? Oh, shoot! We don't have packaged packaging. Just to point out, the ones I'm showing aren't my fav as my mentioned that style earlier, but these are a gooey, not crunchy flat cookie!

image.thumb.jpeg.7b457c410de49bb072fee70e6b4b95ec.jpeg

@BirdTravels, that was a cruel joke you played! Showing off those goods on the Windjammer line. They look wonderful and yep, I've been so ummm protected from hash browns I just might take a bite of each and put it back @UKstages

Ahhh cookies and hash browns. Can't keep Santa Claus or myself happy on a cruise ship anymore without. NCL, the new Scrooge McDuck! I wonder if Dirty Harry has a room full of hash browns and cookies he swims in mocking us cruisers?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just off the Jade, cookies were very difficult to come by.  Asked the Food adn Beverage Director and was told that Miami has instructed them not to serve them in the buffet or restaurants.  Was in a suite, and the butler said that they are very difficult to get anywhere on the ship.  He did manage to bring them to us twice on an 11 day cruise.

• Thanks 2

On 2/18/2024 at 11:42 AM, dexddd said:

If I had a choice between a 800 calorie Crumb'l vs limited edition double Big Mac at 780 calories, Mac wins.  I've already had five, for my convenience, of course.

This is funny I just ate one and stumbled on the quote

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

So, the cookie conversation got me thinking...gee, every day I make a bunch of cookies at the bakery. Here's a photo of the chocolate chip vegan cookies. And dayum, are they good! Also, not $4+ like that Starbucks one @OrcaGirl got. These are under $2 each and just oooooooooooze chocolate. The sprinkling of kosher salt I add just before the bake gives them a nice bite. One of the many reasons I don't want cruise ship cookies - they're just not good...well, at least not NCL cookies. Anyone want me to make you a batch? Oh, shoot! We don't have packaged packaging. Just to point out, the ones I'm showing aren't my fav as my mentioned that style earlier, but these are a gooey, not crunchy flat cookie!

image.thumb.jpeg.7b457c410de49bb072fee70e6b4b95ec.jpeg

@BirdTravels, that was a cruel joke you played! Showing off those goods on the Windjammer line. They look wonderful and yep, I've been so ummm protected from hash browns I just might take a bite of each and put it back @UKstages

Ahhh cookies and hash browns. Can't keep Santa Claus or myself happy on a cruise ship anymore without. NCL, the new Scrooge McDuck! I wonder if Dirty Harry has a room full of hash browns and cookies he swims in mocking us cruisers?

I would love that recipe. So there are no eggs or nuts in the cookies? My adult son loves cookies but is allergic to eggs and nuts.

Since this thread has gone full circle everything about cookies now, who remembers the Nieman Marcus $250 chocolate chip cookie urban legend?   I remember the chain letter being circulated in high school in the late 1980s.  The internet and email made it reappear in the mid 1990s.
From what I remember the recipe was fake and had wrong ingredients and amounts.

For the record my favorite chocolate chip cookie is from Double Tree Hotels.

• Like 2