Price increases, cost cuts?  Where is Azamara going?

Dynacruiser

In the recent weeks, folks have been posting about:

• Diminished or eliminated Azamazing Evenings.
  • Excessive excursion costs.
  • Higher price of drink packages and also specialty restaurants.
  • Lower quality wines in included or paid packages.

While some of the posts are angry first-time sailings who compare to Azamara to their favorite line, it is clear that some prices are creeping up.

What are your views?

1. Is this a trend you observe in other cruise lines?
  2. Are their higher prices excessive?  Do the higher prices make Azamara less competitive and folks will go somewhere else or at least shop more carefully?
  3. Where do you think Sycamore Partners want to take Azamara?   Will they increase prices so they can sell Azamara at a profit quickly?  Or are they the type that will hold on to Azamara for many years and allow slow growth?

My personal views:   

1. Excursions probably reflect the higher costs of local operators.   If so, I may just have to walk around a small town, enjoy a local restaurant or museum on my own, and skip the excursion.
  2. Food and drink price increases were inevitable, as higher costs are impacting all other hospitality and travel industries.  However, Azamara should have implemented a slow stepwise price escalation, rather than a perceived jump.  I can always skip the specialty restaurants, and skip the drinks packages.
  3. I only sail with Azamara, so can’t share experience with other lines.
  4. I would expect Sycamore to want to maximize their returns, they bought Azamara to make money.  I just don’t know their practices, how they manage their companies.  Perhaps they lack experience with cruise lines so they may want to cut costs as if it were one of their many retail stores?
  5. I do not see steep increases in the actual price of future cruises.  The ability to rebook when prices drop is always helpful.   I will stop booking far in advance if that benefit is taken away and will only book last minute.
  6. Most of us continue to praise Azamara onboard experience.  But even loyalists are scratching their heads and considering other options.
  7. Before they pushed higher prices, Sycamore should have completely fixed their website and onshore support service.
  8. I am not hitting the panic button, but being more sensitive to what they do.  After all, I have to spend my money responsibly.
Edited by Dynacruiser
  • Like 3

I will respond to Q2 and 3 after the experience we will have starting in nine days time.  Re Q1 we have experienced other lines recently, one a new start (Explora) so cut backs were not evident and one (Viking) where in our short time with them they have been very consistent and we did not see any cutbacks

10 minutes ago, uktog said:

I will respond to Q2 and 3 after the experience we will have starting in nine days time.  Re Q1 we have experienced other lines recently, one a new start (Explora) so cut backs were not evident and one (Viking) where in our short time with them they have been very consistent and we did not see any cutbacks

Azamara has to be careful not to alienate loyal customers like you.  Part of my concern comes from folks like you who are reacting with concern to recent price increases and other noticeable changes.  It takes so much time to build a customer base, but so easy to lose.

Some folks here think Azamara is just testing the market to see how hard they can push customers.  That is likely the case, but once they increase a price or lowered quality, I doubt they will revert to the previous conditions.

Why not pose your question as a 'Poll' - separately if necessary? 

The results are likely easier to analyse than multiple, lengthy responses. 

• Like 1

I think they are being too aggressive in the pricing, especially in their suites.  On many itineraries, I can go on one of the luxury ships in a veranda which is similar in size to Azamara's Continental Suite and pay a similar amount.  I do like the onboard service and the people I meet on Azamara but the luxury cruises have better food, drinks, and updated cabins.  For a similar itinerary and price, I would choose a luxury line over Azamara. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, blag said:

Why not pose your question as a 'Poll' - separately if necessary? 

The results are likely easier to analyse than multiple, lengthy responses. 

Great idea, should have done it.

I'll gather some ideas from folks here, and then will turn it into a poll once I have time to do it and a good grasp of the summary of the issues.

I suspect this is not quite black and white yet.  those yes and no questions, we already know the answers, everybody will agree that they dont want to pay more unless they get better service, everybody will agree that they will shop around, etc.  One poster suggested that Azamara will increase prices because folks continue to buy their product.

If somebody else wants to turn it into a poll, please do so, otherwise I'll do one later and allow folks to express their views here.

I hope we have some private equity experts here who can chime in on how Sycamore Partners operates.

1 hour ago, Dynacruiser said:

Azamara has to be careful not to alienate loyal customers like you.  Part of my concern comes from folks like you who are reacting with concern to recent price increases and other noticeable changes.  It takes so much time to build a customer base, but so easy to lose.

Some folks here think Azamara is just testing the market to see how hard they can push customers.  That is likely the case, but once they increase a price or lowered quality, I doubt they will revert to the previous conditions.

There are also loyal folks like me, who perhaps haven't cruised quite as long or as many times (started in 2012, working on 20 this year), I am not feeling alienated at all.  I am quite happy with the progress that Azamara is progressing, and my TA has had no issues whatsoever.  

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

There are also loyal folks like me, who perhaps haven't cruised quite as long or as many times (started in 2012, working on 20 this year), I am not feeling alienated at all.  I am quite happy with the progress that Azamara is progressing, and my TA has had no issues whatsoever.  

Well, I can’t say that my TA has not had any issues - it was pretty rough there for awhile, but things seem to have settled down. I am not yet “alienated” either and  very much looking forward to my upcoming cruise.

• Like 2

From my perspective, I have just booked an Eastern seaboard with Az for 2025. Their price was nearly half that of Viking for a similar cruise  but with several more ports. I booked with great joy! I've been waiting for Az to sail in Canada and the US for a long time, now fingers crossed nothing changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m not alienated, I’m seriously frustrated. 
To sum up my position which has been influenced by several unacceptable land side issues, a pretty bad experience onboard last year (with no follow up on emails sent) and having had our eyes opened sailing on competitors, is if DH said can you book us a cruise tonight I’d look around across 4/5 lines whereas previously I’d just have called up Azamara. I have two big Azamara trips in quick succession starting next week. We are very much hoping that we find a much better experience than our last and our confidence can be restored. 
We can accept change provided the reasons are communicated simply and honestly with real reasons not bluff 

So very much looking forward to our upcoming cruises  with hope seeking out the positives - not looking for issues 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, uktog said:

So very much looking forward to our upcoming cruises  with hope seeking out the positives - not looking for issues

And after reading your posts for many years now, I am really looking forward to meeting you, Ann!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a horrendous cruise with Azamara last year and we had the most ‘nights’ onboard! We are trying again this April but just for a week. Having sailed with RSSC and Seabourn it will have to be a special experience to keep us with Azamara but I am hoping because it was always my favourite line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Gilly said:

We had a horrendous cruise with Azamara last year and we had the most ‘nights’ onboard! We are trying again this April but just for a week. Having sailed with RSSC and Seabourn it will have to be a special experience to keep us with Azamara but I am hoping because it was always my favourite line.

what happened to make it horrendous?

• Like 2

This is the first time I’ve written about this and it happened last January on an Africa intensive cruise.

There was a severe stomach virus onboard but I don’t know if it was Noro.

Virtually everyone we spoke to had been affected (and people don’t talk lightly about their toilet habits!). Every day the queue outside the doctors office was halfway down the corridor. We were a party of 8 and 6 were unwell. When my husband questioned the doctor he was confined to his cabin for 24 hours.

Azamara did not handle the situation well. After quite a few visits to the hotel director they eventually stopped self service in the buffet. They did not enforce hand washing. It was as if they ignored the problem it would go away! We were told that it was food and drink we’d had on land. Not so as we weren’t ill until days after boarding. 

The second thing was not down to Azamara but the stops were very poor. I love visiting South Africa but the Cape area is so superior to other parts. 
Let’s hope things are much better in April and we will consider returning to Azamara more often.

5 hours ago, Grandma Gilly said:

This is the first time I’ve written about this and it happened last January on an Africa intensive cruise.

There was a severe stomach virus onboard but I don’t know if it was Noro.

Virtually everyone we spoke to had been affected (and people don’t talk lightly about their toilet habits!). Every day the queue outside the doctors office was halfway down the corridor. We were a party of 8 and 6 were unwell. When my husband questioned the doctor he was confined to his cabin for 24 hours.

Azamara did not handle the situation well. After quite a few visits to the hotel director they eventually stopped self service in the buffet. They did not enforce hand washing. It was as if they ignored the problem it would go away! We were told that it was food and drink we’d had on land. Not so as we weren’t ill until days after boarding. 

The second thing was not down to Azamara but the stops were very poor. I love visiting South Africa but the Cape area is so superior to other parts. 
Let’s hope things are much better in April and we will consider returning to Azamara more often.

I have to say this is not typical of Azamara from what I've seen over the years. They have always taken the subject of health and gastro outbreaks very seriously. Sorry a majority of your group was ill. It's never pleasant to be feeling unwell and confined on your cruise.  I'm afraid that some fellow guests are extremely selfish and spread it around, not following protocol. 

Phil 

• Like 6

After the cruise we happened to meet some people who had been on the previous cruise and they had the same illness problems. I too was surprised at the hotel directors attitude.

We have sailed Azamara many times and had the most nights on board.

22 minutes ago, Grandma Gilly said:

After the cruise we happened to meet some people who had been on the previous cruise and they had the same illness problems. I too was surprised at the hotel directors attitude.

We have sailed Azamara many times and had the most nights on board.

With your many nights was this typical?  As I said it hasn't been mine. I wanted to mention it here by way of balance in case others are worried. 

Phil 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

With your many nights was this typical?  As I said it hasn't been mine. I wanted to mention it here by way of balance in case others are worried. 

Phil 

Whilst this thread is now straying — and I hesitate to prolong the digression — I would add that we were on Journey for the repositioning cruise in March 2024 (Cape Town to Lisbon). AFAIK know there was no epidemic of stomach illnesses by that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blag said:

Whilst this thread is now straying — and I hesitate to prolong the digression — I would add that we were on Journey for the repositioning cruise in March 2024 (Cape Town to Lisbon). AFAIK know there was no epidemic of stomach illnesses by that time.

I think it is the Pursuit that is having the (possibly) norovirus problem.

16 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I think it is the Pursuit that is having the (possibly) norovirus problem.

Grandma Gilly was talking about Journey in the early part of last year (I think). I was adding that the problem seemed to gave resolved itself by early March. But, it must, be said at the preliminary safety mister, the Captain took great pains to emphasise hygiene measures! 

All of the Pursuit cruises from the Xmas cruise onwards have had norovirus.  The Xmas cruise, the buffet, etc was self serve from about half way through the cruise.  The last cruise had the pool and spa closed for the whole cruise and I understand this had also happened on the previous cruise.  There was no insistence of using sanitiser purely the captain asking for people to on a daily broadcast.  We sanitised everywhere, never touched lift buttons or handrails, etc.  I only saw the handrails being cleaned once; that isn’t to say it wasn’t being done more regularly. I have to say that in my opinion and before the virus got hold, I was aware that the ship wasn’t as clean as I would expect.  

Apologies but thought it worth giving some detail to Pursuit this year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1