Sharing drinks on NCL

Just now, david_sobe said:

Does not every adult in the cabin need to have the drinks package these days?  I just booked a cruise and that part changed since my last cruise in 2020.  So I was confused with the OP saying 3 adults in one cabin and only 2 of them have the drink package.

Different market. The OP is in Spain. 

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Is that what thrifty cruisers want?

i've only just recently learned what the contemporary cruiser wants.

homey ain't got no time to keep up with the thrifty cruiser.

Edited by UKstages
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it's been said many times, many ways throughout this discussion... NCL apparently gives their bartenders discretion, yes. but they do not give their bartenders discretion to deceive on the part of their guests.

if the OP says "hey, i want to get two drinks, one for me and one for my friend." and the bartender chooses to fulfill that order, there is no problem whatsoever. but that's not what would be happening here. the OP intends to deceive and make it appear as if the drinks are for one person, the

cardholder. 

No, the OP did not indicate any deception.  Their exact words:

"If the three of us are sitting together at any bar will the ones with FAS be able to order a second drink to hand it over to that third guest?"

SITTING at the bar.  In plain view of the bartender. Order 2 drinks, and hands 1 of them to the friend. In full view of the bartender.  No deception.  Entirely up to the discretion of the bartender, who can say, "oh.. you have to keep both drinks to yourself."

Entirely the discretion of the bartender, no deception whatsoever.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

No, the OP did not indicate any deception.  Their exact words...

Entirely the discretion of the bartender, no deception whatsoever.   

well,. if you're going to quote, you should perhaps quote "their exact words." in the very next sentence the OP says...

"i know that NCL's policy is that packages are not to be shared, but what i really want to know is if that rule is REALLY enforced onboard somehow. in other words, could the two guests with FAS be in some trouble if we get a mocktail or glass of wine for that third guest?"

the intent is absolutely to deceive. the bartender doesn't know the drink is for somebody without a corresponding drink package until after the drink is delivered. the bartender's "discretion" is limited to what to do after he finds out... does he take the drink back, charge for it and risk a guest confrontation?

also, and this is key, the OP indicates their intent and full knowledge that what they propose to do is wrong and against NCL's policy. the OP also indicates that they know there may be some sort of consequences for their actions.

complete and calculated deception.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

PAGE 7 

And counting... And something tells me OP doesn't really plan to change what he does based on the responses. Neither would I. No one's opinions (mind included) are official NCL policy, nor do they have the force of law. All just conjecture. But entertaining, nonetheless!

4 minutes ago, UKstages said:

well,. if you're going to quote, you should perhaps quote "their exact words." in the very next sentence the OP says...

"i know that NCL's policy is that packages are not to be shared, but what i really want to know is if that rule is REALLY enforced onboard somehow. in other words, could the two guests with FAS be in some trouble if we get a mocktail or glass of wine for that third guest?"

the intent is absolutely to deceive. the bartender doesn't know the drink is for somebody without a corresponding drink package until after the drink is delivered. the bartender's "discretion" is limited to what to do after he finds out... does he take the drink back, charge for it and risk a guest confrontation?

also, and this is key, the OP indicates their intent and full knowledge that what they propose to do is wrong and against NCL's policy. the OP also indicates that they know there may be some sort of consequences for their actions.

complete and calculated deception.

Zero deception.  Again, nothing about sneaking behind the bartender's back.  The question was not, "how can I do it without the bartender noticing?"  The question was not, "if I sneak the drink back to the room, will I get caught?"  The question was not, "can I give my card to my friend so they can pretend they are me and get drinks?"  

They are asking, will the bartender enforce the rule, or will the bartender in their discretion allow the sharing?

Would you prefer if they phrased it, 

"i know that NCL's policy is that packages are not to be shared, but what i really want to know is if that rule is will the bartender exercise discretion to allow an occasional drink shared with a friend?   in other words, could the two guests with FAS be in some trouble if we get a mocktail or glass of wine for that third guest?

And my answer remains, it is up to the bartender. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

"i know that NCL's policy is that packages are not to be shared, but what i really want to know is if that rule is will the bartender exercise discretion to allow an occasional drink shared with a friend?   in other words, could the two guests with FAS be in some trouble if we get a mocktail or glass of wine for that third guest?

Exactly. This question (which you have phrased correctly) is no different than many I've seen on CC about what the "official rules are" vs the actual onboard experience. Oftentimes I see people asking about how many appetizers and sides they can get at the specialty restaurants-the rules might say one each, but in practice, it's not limited to that. This is really no different. OP knows the rules; he just wants to know whether they're actually applied in practice.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

And counting... And something tells me OP doesn't really plan to change what he does based on the responses. Neither would I. No one's opinions (mind included) are official NCL policy, nor do they have the force of law. All just conjecture. But entertaining, nonetheless!

You may have missed this from the OP:

“Sure the 3rd person can buy and pay for those drinks à la carte. And most probably for everybody's peace of mind (including mine) and for preventing NCL going bankrupt because of my sharing (or stealing as many want to call it) that 3rd will end up doing so.”

That’s not to say that once they get on board they’ll just wheely-dealy all they want and do whatever they want. Which is most likely the case. 

• Like 1

The factual answer to the OP, given long ago is:

"They aren't supposed to, but they'll often let you regardless." 

Which means that if the OP tries to do this, they may get told no or they may even get a talking to. I'm sure that if they are apologetic, pay "correctly", and don't do it again on the same cruise all will be fine. They don't throw you in the brig for this. I'm actually pretty okay with it if NCL enforces its clearly stated rules and policies.

But if they get away with it, that's also fine. If the bartender and cruise line don't care enough to enforce the rules, I certainly don't care enough to do it for them. It is baffling to me that so many people are hung up on the minutia of the policies of a large corporation that does its utmost to extract as much money from its passengers as it possibly can. 

Elsewhere on this board today they are talking about how NCL eliminated visiting Antarctica from a cruise without any prior notice and it's not yet clear if those customers will receive any compensation. And some of you are asking me to care if someone misuses their drinks package? 

No. No I do not. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

Elsewhere on this board today they are talking about how NCL eliminated visiting Antarctica from a cruise without any prior notice and it's not yet clear if those customers will receive any compensation. And some of you are asking me to care if someone misuses their drinks package? 

No. No I do not. 

Isn't it actually in the NCL written contract where we can do this. They don’t need to explain themselves. Just like it’s NCL policy that sharing drink packages is not allowed. 

• Like 2

One of the reasons I enjoy NCL's unlimited beverage package is that I don't feel guilty ordering something with the knowledge that, if it isn't to my liking, I can get another drink and not pay an additional fee. One could make the argument that throwing out a drink after one sip is wasteful and that I'm costing NCL money by doing so. I don't see what the OP is proposing to be any different. I take OP's word that his friend won't drink enough to justify paying for the entire package. I think it's ridiculous to expect someone to pay the full price for the package when he's only going to drink a mocktail and maybe a glass of wine each day. Of course, that person could just pay a la carte and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, UKstages said:

maybe?

no, in fact, they don't.

it's been confirmed for us several times within this thread by EU residents. sharing is not permitted.

The question I am asking and that has not been answered yet is can cruisers in Europe sailing with two other passengers in the same cabin not be required to purchase the drink package?  OP is saying that was the case on their cruise and I have no reason to doubt that.   

I have no idea why other parts of the world require all three in a cabin to purchase drink package but it is not required on European cruises or cruisers whatever the case might be.  What ever it is I am sure NCL, the food and beverage department, and all of the decision makers whose opinions far outrank what you or I think are on top of it.

To OP enjoy your cruise.  Let your friends buy you a drink.  

4 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

The question I am asking and that has not been answered yet is can cruisers in Europe sailing with two other passengers in the same cabin not be required to purchase the drink package?  OP is saying that was the case on their cruise and I have no reason to doubt that.   

I have no idea why other parts of the world require all three in a cabin to purchase drink package but it is not required on European cruises or cruisers whatever the case might be.  What ever it is I am sure NCL, the food and beverage department, and all of the decision makers whose opinions far outrank what you or I think are on top of it.

To OP enjoy your cruise.  Let your friends buy you a drink.  

Honestly, wanted to stop posting on this thread, but feel compelled to clarify this.

Coming next are the specific T&C under which I booked as seen on NCL's Spanish website. Here is the link and also the specific extract of what concerns us here. And, by the way, upon closer inspection NOWHERE on these T&C is anything said about being or not being allowed to share the drinks I may order (which I admitted from the start to having previously read somewhere else).

Link to the full T&Cs list:

https://www.ncl.com/es/es/Acerca-de/Términos-y-condiciones/Promociones-de-Ceuk-39dvus/

Thread-relevant information (highlighted in red what concerns us most). It seems to be a temporary promotion (Feb. 1st to Feb. 20th) and this could be the reason some people are confused as to why the 3rd passenger did not need to have the PBP. Once again, 3rd guest has a soda package for which extra money was paid. Had the original intention been that of stealing or bending any rules we would have put that money to better use, not even purchased the soda package at all and happily shared our drinks through the PBP from either passenger 1 or 2).

CE - MEJORA DE LAS VACACIONES FREE AT SEA

Periodo de reserva: del 1 al 20 de febrero de 2024

Viajes elegibles: toda la flota

Free at Sea - Según la categoría/elección seleccionada
Importes de recargo de Free at Sea por persona (1° y 2° pasajero únicamente) en función de la duración del viaje

Duración del viaje Recargo FAS por persona en euros
3-5 noches € 149
6-8 noches € 199
9-11 noches € 249
12-14 noches € 299
15-17 noches € 349
18-20 noches € 399
21 noches o más € 449

La mejora de las vacaciones Free At Sea se aplica al 1.° y 2.° pasajero en reservas únicamente de camarotes de categoría estudio, interior, exterior, con balcón y Club Balcony Suite.

Suites y The Haven: reciben automáticamente todas las ofertas Free at Sea.

Paquetes
Paquete de bebidas - Se aplica a los pasajeros 1 a 2 de la reserva
Paquete de restaurantes de especialidades - Se aplica a los pasajeros 1 a 2 de la reserva
Paquete de internet - Se aplica a los pasajeros 1 a 2 de la reserva
50$ de descuento por puerto para excursiones en tierra - Se aplica al pasajero 1 de la reserva
Los pasajeros 3 y 4 viajan solo con impuestos (determinados viajes)

Paquete de bebidas ilimitadas:
El paquete de bebidas de primera se aplica a todos los viajes que cumplan los requisitos, excepto a los viajes en el Pride of America
El pasajero 1 o 2 debe tener, como mínimo, 21 años al momento del viaje para poder usar el Paquete de Bebidas Premium. Los pasajeros menores de 21 años reciben el paquete de gaseosas.
Si el viaje no comienza/termina en Norteamérica o China y el pasajero no es ciudadano estadounidense (de California o Carolina del Norte), entonces el pasajero debe tener al menos 18 años de edad en el momento de viajar para que sea elegible para el Paquete de bebidas de primera.
Los pasajeros que cumplan los requisitos tendrán derecho a dos bebidas por persona y por transacción
Incluye una variedad de licores y cócteles, vinos en copa y cerveza en botella o barril por un precio minorista de hasta $15 USD. Incluye fuente de refrescos, jugos y cerveza sin alcohol.
Se aplicará un 20% de descuento en botellas de vino (champaña y vino espumoso incluidos), catas de vino y bebidas alcohólicas, degustaciones o vuelos comprados a bordo.
La oferta no se aplica a bares, restaurantes o instalaciones de Harvest Caye
No incluye: cata de vino y bebidas alcohólicas, degustaciones o vuelos, Starbucks, bares de hielo, servicio a la habitación, ofertas de paquetes, botellas de agua, ofertas específicas de cada barco o cubetas de cerveza, marcas Super Premium designadas (sujetas a modificaciones), botellas de vino, compras en el minibar, jugos exprimidos frescos, algunas bebidas con café Lavazza, dispensadores de vino, bebidas energizantes ni máquinas expendedoras.
Los pasajeros que se beneficien del paquete de refrescos podrán consumir bebidas no alcohólicas de máquinas expendedoras en cualquier bar, sala o restaurante durante todo el crucero, excepto en bares, restaurantes o instalaciones de Harvest Caye
La cuenta del pasajero puede reflejar el IVA y/o impuestos correspondientes en ciertos puertos o itinerarios en función de la legislación aplicable.

Para los viajes hasta el 1 de enero de 2023:
Se incluye el 20% en concepto de propinas sobre el valor minorista del Paquete de bebidas de bebidas de primera ($19,80 USD por persona) y/o el Paquete de refrescos ($1,59 USD por persona, por día). El valor de venta del paquete de bar abierto ilimitado es de $99.00 USD por persona, por día. El precio del paquete está sujeto a cambios

Para los viajes el o después del 1 de enero de 2023:

Se incluye el 20% en concepto de propinas sobre el valor minorista del Paquete de bebidas de bebidas de primera ($21,80 USD por persona) y/o el Paquete de refrescos ($1,59 USD por persona, por día). El valor de venta del paquete de bar abierto ilimitado es de $109.00 USD por persona, por día. El precio del paquete está sujeto a cambios.
El valor minorista del Paquete de bebidas no alcohólicas para adultos es $7.95 USD por persona por día. El precio del paquete está sujeto a cambios

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

But then, the forum would be boring.

Up next, "Can I cancel the DSC and just tip the people that I want to tip?😎

Good point. And guess what? I must be the most stupid thief to sail on any cruise line since all passengers in my party have paid 555€ DSCs up front when we could have added it onboard. And before anybodys suggests it, NO, we are not having those removed under allegation of bad service onboard or any other random reason you could think about.

• Like 1

hey, almir. the fact that all your good buddies have pre paid the DSC is completely irrelevant. So what! they could have paid up in full at the end of the cruise. Are you now claiming you and your friends are now some new type of tipping heroes because they paid upfront?

INSTANT NEWS FLASH!!!!. everyone booking has that option. 

still doesnt justify trying to game the system, and sharing your drink passage with someone to which they are not entitled.

call it whatever you wish, to justify your position, but "a rose is a rose is a rose"

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, complawyer said:

hey, almir. the fact that all your good buddies have pre paid the DSC is completely irrelevant. So what! they could have paid up in full at the end of the cruise. Are you now claiming you and your friends are now some new type of tipping heroes because they paid upfront?

INSTANT NEWS FLASH!!!!. everyone booking has that option. 

still doesnt justify trying to game the system, and sharing your drink passage with someone to which they are not entitled.

call it whatever you wish, to justify your position, but "a rose is a rose is a rose"

Tipping Hero. Thinking of changing my nick right now! This comment proves once again that what I have been told quite often is true: "do not be so ironic, nobody gets it". 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

But then, the forum would be boring.

Up next, "Can I cancel the DSC and just tip the people that I want to tip?😎

That's the best kind of thread, tipping.  

Re sharing of drinks with folks not on the FAS package, I'm thinking a time or two, the bartender may let it slide, you try and sit at a bar for hours sliding a drink over to your friend, and something would probably be said...and yes, tipping extra may come into play here on how much "slides".  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly. This question (which you have phrased correctly) is no different than many I've seen on CC about what the "official rules are" vs the actual onboard experience.

this question was asked, more or less, several times in this thread and answered to the OP's satisfaction - and in the OP's favor, quite frankly - several times, as well.  and i, too, have offered an opinion as to this very question and it, too, falls in favor of the OP doing absolutely nothing wrong. 

but you've chosen to focus narrowly on this one [heavily edited] question and ignore everything else the OP has said.

i've actually read everything the OP has said and in those comments it is clear what the intent is. the OP plans to deceive and obfuscate in an attempt to secure free drinks for another guest. the OP freely admits this, so it's not clear where the disconnect is.

19 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

"do not be so ironic, nobody gets it".

oh, no... we get it.

we understand completely.

• Thanks 1

Man, this is quite entertaining listening to the comments/justifications, etc.  I should have loaded up on popcorn first.

Not sure if the restriction to buying package for everyone is waived because of location, NCL norm, or that only two per cabin get Free at Sea?

At any rate, this is clearly intended to skirt the rules; how could it be interpreted any other way?  If they want to drink wine they should buy a package or pay as they go.  Very simple. 

I drink and my wife does not, so buying a package does not make sense.  We also were offered free packages if we pay the gratuity, and simple math indicates even then it is not a good deal for us.  If I were by myself it would be a no brainer to purchase it.  I'm cheap too, and will maybe get the credit card to build up some OBC for my drinks.  Everyone's situation is different and while I wish cruise lines had more flexibility, I would never try to justify breaking the rule with some BS like dumping drinks or throwing up a mocktail red herring when in reality I intend to drink wine.

Putting a crew member in an awkward position with a customer is also not cool.

By the way, I am traveling with a party of 10 who all have packages and I would never even think of asking them to order me a drink.      

Edited by dilbertsdaddy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’ve tried to avoid commenting here.  But I will give my 2 cents and experience.  First, it is very obvious from the OP’s comments that they are looking to justify knowingly breaking the rules and is planning in advance how to get around them.  I’d never condone that.  This is very different than a one-off drink once in a while.  There are shades of gray, but I can never endorse having this “cheating” as the plan going onto a ship.  

That being said, I had an experience last summer in the Med.  I was on a B2B on the Breakaway.  First leg was a 16 night TA from NYC to Rome.  On that leg I traveled with a friend.  We were in the Haven and each had a drink package.  Obviously no issues on that one.  It was fabulous.  ❤️😃

Anyway, I decided to stay onboard for the ten night sailing through Greece, returning to Rome.  My friend could not do the second leg, so I was solo for that leg.  I wanted to do it as cheaply as possible.  I moved from the Haven down to an Oceanview (talk about culture shock!). I also opted against the drink package because it was a port-intensive cruise (only one sea day).  I was also booked through the casino, so I got free drinks in the casino was open anyway.  I had never sailed without a drink package, but for this trip it just made sense to pay as I went, or so I thought.  Big mistake.

Well, this was during the period when NCL couldn’t quite figure out the VAT issue in Greece.  They wouldn’t even sell a soda to anyone without a drink package when the ship was in port!  I was willing to pay for it, but they wouldn’t let me.  It was no problem for someone with a drink package to order anything they wanted.  Did some friends I met offer to get me a drink?  Yes.  Did I take it?  Absolutely.  Did the servers know what was going on?  I strongly believe they did.  Did I feel guilty?  No.  I would have happily paid for the drink but they wouldn’t let me.

Bottom line is that I can forgive sharing if it’s a one-off drink here or there, but I can’t condone going in with this as the plan.  I understand that my situation was unique, but I will never feel guilty about some new friends “sharing” their package with me for a few drinks in this unique situation.  I would have gladly paid for the drinks if they let me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Oh, bless your little heart. A confession, silly and ridiculous as it may be. It’s still a confession. 

Best  comment in the entire thread!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dilbertsdaddy said:

Not sure if the restriction to buying package for everyone is waived because of location, NCL norm, or that only two per cabin get Free at Sea?

In EU only passengers 1 and 2 can BUY the FreeAtSee. Nobody ever GETS any part of it here.