If I go to O’Sheehan’s at 4am…

dmwnc1959

…what’s on the menu? I’m assuming since breakfast doesn’t officially start there until 5:30am, that breakfast items aren’t an option?

The reason I’m asking is for a couple of days I might be getting up super early - I’ll be hungry (of course) - and will want to grab some hearty  eats. And I’m also guessing room service isn’t 24/7. 😁

On my recent TA on Gem a fellow traveller suffering from jetlag had gone to O'Sheehans around that time expecting them to be open 24/7 but it seems they were closed for maybe 2 hours or something like that around that time, preparing for breakfast. I don't know if that is typical or not though.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

…what’s on the menu? I’m assuming since breakfast doesn’t officially start there until 5:30am, that breakfast items aren’t an option?

The reason I’m asking is for a couple of days I might be getting up super early - I’ll be hungry (of course) - and will want to grab some hearty  eats. And I’m also guessing room service isn’t 24/7. 😁

Who gets up at 4:30 am on a cruise? Just kidding, I'm sure you have your reasons. They always advertise O'Sheehan's as being open 24 hours a day, so I don't see why they wouldn't be open that early. Maybe just a limited menu at that hour?

• Thanks 1

they have an "overnight" and late night menu.

typically includes a reuben, a burger, a hot dog, a caesar and/or cobb salad, fish 'n' chips, nachos, chicken wings, pretzel bites, brownie cheesecake and carrot cake. it's not the full menu.

they do close for deep cleaning for an hour or a half hour just before breakfast service begins, but they are otherwise open for what passes as "24/7."  except when they're not. increasingly, ships and chefs and cleaning crews  are making their own rules. in addition to the example cited above, on the getaway recently, i went to osheehan's at 3 AM and was told the chef had only pre-prepared three dishes at that time... hot dog, burger and a reuben. nothing else was available, except for dessert. no explanation given.

full room service menu is available overnight and i'd recommend it for hearty appetites. service fee applies in most cases.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Even though its advertised as a 24/7 restaurant I have heard others say it does close around 4 or 5am.  I have never been out and about that late on a cruise to find out.  If they are open, I supose its the same menu until breakfast comes along.
Do tell us.  You wake up at 4 am and eat a big plate of wings and nachos?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Even though its advertised as a 24/7 restaurant I have heard others say it does close around 4 or 5am.  I have never been out and about that late on a cruise to find out.  If they are open, I supose its the same menu until breakfast comes along.

I would think at that early hour, something smaller would be in order. I would not be in the mood for that type of food at 4:30 AM. My stomach would not like me.

• Haha 1

At 3 am on my TA on Gem it was a pretty decent offering. Pretty standard late night bar food really which is exactly what we wanted. Plus I will say the staff were pretty amazing considering our level of intoxication. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Stock up some extras in the cabin's mini refrigerator, as supplement to what's available in OSH or Local. 

Not uncommon for that 23/7 place to close down for deep overnight cleaning between 4 and 5 AM.  

Not a bad idea to pre-order a 4 AM delivery with a nominal fee/service charge, for the convenience, from room services, many items not easily available otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

No, lol, one of the “rise-and-shine at 4am” events would be the morning of the Panama Canal transit. Since they appear to open the bow at 6am I’d want to be showered, dressed, completely fed, and first in line waiting to stampede the front of the ship for the prime spots when the door opens. Not much fun watching the transit when you’re several people deep into the crowd. Having never cruised NCL (and by that logic, never eaten in an O’Sheehan’s) I wasn’t sure they had some sort of pastries and other light options with juices/coffee available. Since the transit runs about 2-1/2 to 3 hours from when the bow opens to the second set of locks I’d not want to be passing out from lack of nourishment that morning. 😉

Looks like room service is going to be my only real option. 

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

Full room service menu is available overnight and i'd recommend it for hearty appetites. service fee applies in most cases.

I’ll have to see if I can dig up a room service menu that shows the options and times for delivery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I would think at that early hour, something smaller would be in order. I would not be in the mood for that type of food at 4:30 AM. My stomach would not like me.

I think all my adult life I’ve been an early riser and already having had a full breakfast before my day starts (I blame the US Navy lol). Typically now, or at least before I was retired, I was eating breakfast at 5am with a midmorning snack around 10am. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Stock up some extras in the cabin's mini refrigerator, as supplement to what's available in OSH or Local. 

Not a bad idea to pre-order a 4 AM delivery with a nominal fee/service charge, for the convenience, from room services, many items not easily available otherwise. 

Definitely sounds like a plan! 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

On the schedule below, they "close" 4:00-5:00 to turn over galley between late night and breakfast. The restaurant is open, but you may not be able to get food. The late night menu follows.

image.thumb.png.c2e86943bdabf8890301db9d70b93b31.png

image.thumb.png.02be2160cf296ce699e9f8e3a6245454.png

image.thumb.png.ba3dfd90168c7f51080b1779bd5ab0d6.png

image.thumb.png.3a1233559e29fd226fb7294afc22dc45.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

This was a few years ago on the Escape but I was up very early - about 4:30 a.m. and took a walk around the ship.  I'm always ready to eat and headed to OS but they only had chaffing dishes set out with wings and something else fried - I forget what it was, maybe mozz. sticks, I can't remember. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Since the transit runs about 2-1/2 to 3 hours from when the bow opens to the second set of locks

That doesn't sound even remotely correct. I haven't researched it thoroughly yet (for the Encore in April), but that sounds more like the time on Gatun Lake between the 2 sets of locks.

9 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

No, lol, one of the “rise-and-shine at 4am” events would be the morning of the Panama Canal transit. Since they appear to open the bow at 6am I’d want to be showered, dressed, completely fed, and first in line waiting to stampede the front of the ship for the prime spots when the door opens. Not much fun watching the transit when you’re several people deep into the crowd. Having never cruised NCL (and by that logic, never eaten in an O’Sheehan’s) I wasn’t sure they had some sort of pastries and other light options with juices/coffee available. Since the transit runs about 2-1/2 to 3 hours from when the bow opens to the second set of locks I’d not want to be passing out from lack of nourishment that morning. 😉

😁

On our recent Panama cruise and had to be up and in the theatre by 0515 they open the buffet early for those doing the early tour, there would have been 7-8 bus loads for that tour. 

Depends on your transit time, our captain advised they don’t get that info until closer to Panama due to canal having reduced transits. We were at the first locks at 8.30am. Of course earlier if you want to see under the bridge of Americas. Pretty sure they will have something open for the early risers that day. 

Enjoy 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IAcruising said:

That doesn't sound even remotely correct. I haven't researched it thoroughly yet (for the Encore in April), but that sounds more like the time on Gatun Lake between the 2 sets of locks.

That must be the difference between going through the new locks (Norwegian Bliss) and the old locks (Norwegian Gem). I’ve been monitoring detailed movements (using Marine Traffic and the Panama Canal live cams) and noting the times of cruise ships going through the Panama Canal (both SB and NB) for about the last six months. And I’ve actually been watching them on the live cams going to the Panama Canal for at least the last 15 years.

Of course transit times do very depending on traffic, especially now since they are cross-flooding the old locks to save on water. I just watched the Norwegian Gem go through on Feb. 10th and took screen shots every time it reloaded. From 6:03am when it first showed people on the bow until 8:29am when it stopped and settled into the second lock (before it started filling). It then begin to exit into the third lock at 8:48am:

IMG_5138.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

Edited by dmwnc1959

8 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

On our recent Panama cruise and had to be up and in the theatre by 0515 they open the buffet early for those doing the early tour, there would have been 7-8 bus loads for that tour. 

Depends on your transit time, our captain advised they don’t get that info until closer to Panama due to canal having reduced transits. We were at the first locks at 8.30am. Of course earlier if you want to see under the bridge of Americas. Pretty sure they will have something open for the early risers that day. 

Enjoy 

Which type of ship were you on? Maybe one of the larger Norwegian Breakaway or Breakaway-Plus, or one of the smaller Gem-class ships?

The transit time for ships of different sizes from the bridge up the two different channels to each respective set of locks (old vs new) is different, as is the time to fill the locks and then transit between the locks. Of course each transit is different based on traffic, but you can determine actual transit time averages.  

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

2 minutes ago, dexddd said:

As a Rueben aficionado, note that some use corned beef and some use pastrami.  When we sailed Prima menu said pastrami but whatever it was, it was pretty good sandwich.

I'm going to be on the lookout for pastrami.  I've only seen corned beef but I would love some pastrami.  Now, I don't eat the Reuben itself, I top my burger with the beef.  Pastrami on my burger would be so much better 

50 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Which type of ship were you on? Maybe one of the larger Norwegian Breakaway or Breakaway-Plus, or one of the smaller Gem-class ships?

The transit time for ships of different sizes from the bridge up the two different channels to each respective set of locks (old vs new) is different, as is the time to fill the locks and then transit between the locks. Of course each transit is different based on traffic, but you can determine actual transit time averages.  

😁

I was on the Bliss so went through the new locks which is only one way from Pacific to Atlantic if I remember correctly midnight to 12pm then it’s Atlantic to Pacific from 12pm to midnight. 

From 0850 ish to approx maybe 10am then sailing through Gutun Lake/channel. We arrived at the Atlantic locks late afternoon. We were through by 5-6pm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

As a Rueben aficionado, note that some use corned beef and some use pastrami.  When we sailed Prima menu said pastrami but whatever it was, it was pretty good sandwich.

technically, a "reuben" made with pastrami is a "rachel."

(nothing to do with jennifer ansiton or "friends.")

putting issues of taste and preference aside, a "reuben" sandwich should never be made with  pastrami. then again, NCL likes to put lettuce on their lox and bagel in the MDR and they serve a "chili" on the new american diner menu that is actually a tortilla soup, so pretty much anything is fair game with NCL these days, as long as it doesn't involve shredded and fried potatoes. 

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

😁

On my Panama canal cruise in December they had a little something in the front if the ship. Definitely water and tge watery juice and also the brown stuff they claim is coffee (it's not - it really can't be), and also some small munchies.

And, ehm, I went in my yoga pants and a tshirt. Noone cared 😄

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NillaB said:

On my Panama canal cruise in December they had a little something in the front if the ship. Definitely water and tge watery juice and also the brown stuff they claim is coffee (it's not - it really can't be), and also some small munchies.

And, ehm, I went in my yoga pants and a tshirt. Noone cared 😄

Good stuff here! 🤣