Is it really worth it?

CruiseLibre

45 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Wow!  That’s $22.00 per day for 2 people.  $11.00 each, which is basically one drink per day.   Not exactly what most people would consider partying! lol. But, if that works for you, then more power to you!

I know! Kinda lame, but there it is! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CruiseLibre said:

I really appreciate all the comments and for context we only booked the 14 day cruise as it was the only one that suited us regards the ports we wanted to visit, on reflection it is a long one for a first cruise, so all things considered we will probably go and just play it by ear on board, we will buy shore excursions, we will buy drinks (not much, as we are not big drinkers) and probably visit one or two of the speciality restaurants and just enjoy ourselves, as life is too short.

I don't think we will go for the Plus package though as I don't think we will use it, I think if we had it we would be trying to max out our daily drinks quota, which is not a good idea!

Some really great responses and some down right rude ones! but to the folk who have genuinely given critical feedback with some really good tips, I thank you.

We are going on a cruise! :classic_biggrin:

Congrats. You are going to love it!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CruiseLibre said:

we will buy shore excursions, we will buy drinks (not much, as we are not big drinkers) and probably visit one or two of the speciality restaurants

just an FYI - you don't HAVE to buy shore excursions through the ship - they are usually more expensive and limited on time, but it is a good way to ensure that you get back on the ship in a port of call. Since you mentioned it's your first cruise.

Also, on Enchanted included food at the buffet and in the main dining room is usually great, so we personally don't ever get specialty dining. The main reason is that I am frugal, but on Princess specifically specialty restaurants, imho, are not needed unless you simply want to spend money on a more elevated food (it's not an elevated experience every time, apparently).

NCL is where we were sorely in need of specialty restaurants, because their included food was bad (in 2018).

• Like 3

20 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

We got one of the ports dropped from the itinerary early on after booking and an extra sea day added on (3 days at sea for one leg), that was the first disappointment as although we understand that these things can happen, this port was one of the main reasons we booked the cruise

I didn't realize at the time that it was your first cruise, but now that I know, I want to offer an additional comment on this: changes in itinerary happen all the time, across all the cruise lines. Sometimes in advance, sometimes very shortly before the cruise, and sometimes during the cruise.

Most of the time you don't get any compensation at all, especially when a change happens 5 months in advance. Sometimes you may get $50 onboard credit for the inconvenience. You may also get the port taxes back. If the change happens when you are already onboard, you may also get a small onboard credit. But this is usually it, and you don't get it every time.

It's in your sailing contract. The cruise company doesn't owe you anything for changes in the itinerary.

P.S. Make sure to put your phones in airplane mode, if you don't want to be unpleasantly surprised by the roaming charges (data and phone).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pickels said:

I know people who have simply paid for the cost of the cruise with not a penny more.  No package, no specialty dining, no spa, etc.  And, from talking with them, they had a fantastic cruise. 

That describes us pretty much.  If we want something extra we pay for it as we go.   And, we don't voluntarily do things we don't enjoy!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

I really appreciate all the comments and for context we only booked the 14 day cruise as it was the only one that suited us regards the ports we wanted to visit, on reflection it is a long one for a first cruise, so all things considered we will probably go and just play it by ear on board, we will buy shore excursions, we will buy drinks (not much, as we are not big drinkers) and probably visit one or two of the speciality restaurants and just enjoy ourselves, as life is too short.

I don't think we will go for the Plus package though as I don't think we will use it, I think if we had it we would be trying to max out our daily drinks quota, which is not a good idea!

Some really great responses and some down right rude ones! but to the folk who have genuinely given critical feedback with some really good tips, I thank you.

Don't forget you can bring your own wine an embarkation and refill it as needed at each port. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

It isn't always about "need". I sometimes just want it as it makes my life easier.

Again, don't think that everyone thinks the way you do 🙂 

Just 20 % of the ship. 

2 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

Couple of tips:

• Find the Roll Call for the cruise you'll be going on and try to "meet" some of the other passengers on the cruise.  You may find some suggestions for excursions as well (see next point)
  • Check out such websites as Viator, Shore Excursions Group, and Tours by Locals and see what type of "non-ship" excursions they are offering that you might like to book.  Often these are less expensive and in smaller groups than the typical Princess excursions.  And they'll get you back to the ship on time, don't believe the hype that you'll be left behind.
  • Remember that any on-board credit you may have can be used to offset charges for your coffee, cocktails, or wine, so it's not all coming out of you pocket.
  • Have a positive attitude!
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:
  • Find the Roll Call for the cruise you'll be going on and try to "meet" some of the other passengers on the cruise.  You may find some suggestions for excursions as well (see next point)
  • Check out such websites as Viator, Shore Excursions Group, and Tours by Locals and see what type of "non-ship" excursions they are offering that you might like to book. 

I also find Ports of Call boards very useful:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Wow!  That’s $22.00 per day for 2 people.  $11.00 each, which is basically one drink per day.   Not exactly what most people would consider partying! lol. But, if that works for you, then more power to you!

That's maybe a beer each on Princess when you factor in the 18%.

• Haha 1

The cruise lines job is to extract as much money from you as possible.  Costs are going up, inclusions and loyalty benefits are going down.

You have to choose what you want to use and what you don't and book accordingly.

We don't buy packages, go to specialty dining or spend money onboard generally unless it's just something we really want. Everyone decides for themselves how valuable their money is to them.

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Just 20 % of the ship. 

What is your evidence that it is 20% or is that number just made up?

Guest Snaxmuppet
4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Don't forget you can bring your own wine an embarkation and refill it as needed at each port. 

But you would then have to drink that wine in your cabin or else you have to pay the corkage.

I think cruising is like life.  You make the best plans you can, then deal with what the universe throws in your path.

I’ve taken 15 cruises, all on Princess.  Itineraries changed for all sorts of reasons, from being upgraded from a 7 day Caribbean to a 10 day Panama Canal full transit for the same cost on my first cruise to an extra week in Covid-quarantine in Alaska on my last.  In between was Hurricane Iniki, medical emergencies (another passenger’s), a crew member’s suicide overboard (very sad), weather (storms), and the Lahaina fire disaster.  With each of those, I sent thoughts and prayers to those affected by the disasters, and thanked all that is good and holy that I was spared, AND on a cruise.  The perspective made the cruise all the better, and the dumb annoying stuff - noise, slow service, tough lobster tail, rude guy at the next slot machine - much less important.

If you chose to cruise, I wish you calm seas, and fair winds.  Enjoy the adventure and make amazing memories.  We’re on the Discovery next month, and I can’t wait

Lyssa

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

But you would then have to drink that wine in your cabin or else you have to pay the corkage.

We've brought bottles to the DR, which we've received from a previous trip and never been charged. Most times we just carry a large glass from our room with a double pour and for us, it's sufficient. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

What is your evidence that it is 20% or is that number just made up?

That number was based upon a quote here on CC of how many people buy into the packages. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

If you leave your cabin with a glass there is no-one to charge you, FYI

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Jadn13 said:

If you leave your cabin with a glass there is no-one to charge you, FYI

True. But if I did that it would be empty long before I get to the dining room and for a top up I would have to return to my cabin. Not very convenient.

I don't bother with taking on any drink. I am on holiday... I don't want all that palaver. I pay holiday prices or I don't have it.

5 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

True. But if I did that it would be empty long before I get to the dining room and for a top up I would have to return to my cabin. Not very convenient.

I don't bother with taking on any drink. I am on holiday... I don't want all that palaver. I pay holiday prices or I don't have it.

Understood.

For me  I travel often and for longer periods so the packages are not cost effective. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

So, likely about as accurate as the claim that a passenger needs to drink 10 alcoholic drinks a day to break even on the Plus package!

This!

3 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

So, likely about as accurate as the claim that a passenger needs to drink 10 alcoholic drinks a day to break even on the Plus package!

On all our trips (with a package) we always hit the top amount of 15 drinks each day- each. You have to get your money's worth since it's already paid for. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2