The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 14th, 2024

kazu

Valentine's Day

Today is Ash Wednesday (the start of Lent), Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Day, and Frederick Douglass Day

A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.--William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Meal Suggestion for today - Lentil Curry
Drink of the Day - Jager Bomb
Wine of the Day - Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon 
Destination of the Day - Barra Norte Sea, Brazil 

Today in History:
1876 Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Gray apply separately for telephone patents, the Supreme Court eventually rules Bell the rightful inventor
1931 The original "Dracula" film starring Bela Lugosi as the titular vampire, is released

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 02-16

Nieuw Amsterdam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 16:00 

Nieuw Statendam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 22:00 

Oosterdam

Scenic cruising Sarmiento Channel 

Rotterdam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 07:00 - 16:00 

Zaandam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Lyttelton-Christchurch, New Zealand 07:00 - 16:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia eta 02-16

Westerdam

Kobe-Osaka, Kyoto, Japan 07:00 - 16:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Guam Island USA, Apra Harbor, Marianas eta 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Condolences to ger_77 on the death of her Aunt and her friend’s DH

Haljo1935 seeing the surgeon about her shoulder

Nickelpenny driving to CA – safe travels

Smitty34877’s Tana being treated for infection

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Death of 5 Marines in a helicopter crash

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

57redbird recovering from spine surgery

Lazey1 with mitral stenosis, pulmonary edema; may need surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Valentine’s Day and Ash Wednesday 

Happy Birthday to Suslor’s DH Lorenzo!

Happy 53rd Birthday to Superoma’s twins!

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s eye procedure went well, eye drop decreased

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox Feb 15 to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise

2 days for Mr. Boston (Rotterdam Feb 16 to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer

3 days for Nickelpenny (Zaandam Feb 17 to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer

3 days for Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape Feb 17 to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic

6 days for USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn Feb 20 to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei

Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, summer slope(Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 18) 11d Windward Islands Explorer + 7d Tropical Retreats, Quilty964 (Nieuw Statendam to Feb 18) 7d E. Caribbean, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 26

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Yesterday’s foot of snow turned into barely a dusting on the grass, I’m not complaining!  Today is an in office day to make up yesterday it being closed.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and I look forward to pictures and recipes, I think I’d like it.

DH likes his LEGO roses!  Happy Valentines Day !

image.thumb.png.48a340ba0d60574c2f781537b2feb905.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 15

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

Cool morning with the temp at 52 heading up to 75

Good selection of days

Happy Valentine’s Day

I love the quote as I read at least a book a week, 62 last year

Not wild about curry so I’ll pass on the meal

Won Wordle in 2 lines this morning, only second time I’ve accomplished that feat, usually takes 4 lines, still haven’t lost with 41 wins, fun game for the mind

Heading over to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning for our 9 day cruise on the Equinox, I’ll won’t be posting during the cruise as I take a rest from the internet when cruising, I need a rest from golf also

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Happy Valentine's Day.   I'm sending you all a hug. 

It's cold here with flurries in the forecast.  No plans for the day.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds good.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Happy Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  DH has an early  morning infusion today, we will be leaving at 8:20 to get to midtown and his appointment.  The drive is not that bad, its the finding a parking spot that takes so long.  Happy Valentines Day!

138ce92c0ef10185ddba0e4168f137de--kliban-cat-cat-valentine.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps. 

Hope everyone in the path of yesterday’s winter storm is ok. 
IMG_2587.jpeg.c8fa72cbfe19ce22a31da9fcca0805ab.jpeg

It is 20 degrees colder here this morning. I guess Winter isn’t through here yet. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us!  Praying that next week gets you on the road to being pain & numbness free with lots of wonderful sleep. 

I have my annual wellness visit early this morning, then a manicure, Bindi walks, HIIT and regular chores will keep me busy. I finished the first pass of my grout cleaning. When I get back, I will tackle the stubborn areas. 

Here’s a headline you don’t see everyday….

IMG_2591.jpeg.325f3976f7ad1498dd5d91dc54b3814b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, trauma or feeling down. The caretakers. 

Terry, thinking of you & Tana.

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Happy Valentine’s Day - everyone!

IMG_2590.jpeg.7a371ccad12ace3149f98b5d113afdeb.jpeg

IMG_2588.jpeg.4584c0dfb47a3cfc8a4e3eeae0711aa4.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon 2021

I used the 2021 vintage info, since that was the oldest vintage still in stock & very easy to find. Lots of consumer fans of this priced right Cab. You can find this just about anywhere. Online prices start at a reasonable $12.48.

Winemaker Notes

The 2021 Joel Gott Blend No. 815 Cabernet Sauvignon has aromas of raspberries, blackberries, plum, and mocha with notes of cinnamon and cedar. The wine opens with red fruit flavors, followed by velvety tannins on the mid palate and notes of black pepper on the long, textured finish.

90 James Suckling

Blackcurrants, black and green olives, rosemary and some crushed walnuts on the nose. Fresh and refined, with a medium to full body and fine-grained tannins. Drink or hold.

IMG_2582.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 8

Happy Valentine's Day and Ash Wednesday everyone!  It's only 35F this morning but will be 63 and sunny with a bit of wind still during the day.  Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Daily and Fleet Report and the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  

Today we can celebrate the above holidays and should reflect on congenital heart defect awareness day and how we can help reduce it.  A salute to Frederick Douglass whom we can take inspiration from.  An interesting take on reading in that quote.  No thanks to the curry dish.  Wonder what a Jager Bomb is?  Someone else can have my glass of the red wine.  Hurray for Alexander Graham Bell, and I remember watching scary movies on TV on Friday nights growing up.  🫣  Thanks to Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today!

Prayers for all on the Care list and all others here in need of them.  So many in pain, needing medical treatment and recovering from past procedures, and suffering from loss and worry.  Prayers too for my DGD and DB, friends and their spouses with health issues.  And last but not least, the people of Israel and Ukraine fighting for their countries, the hostages still held, and the military members in harm's way.  Cheers to all celebrating happy events and cruising! 🎂🚢 Happy Birthday to @Suslor's DH Lorenzo, and Eva's @superoma's twins on this date!🎂  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up the lists and remembering everyone's birthdays and anniversaries, too!  Hope you are doing okay today.❤️

The port today is actually a destination called Barra Norte Sea, Brazil.  This is the area near the mouth of the Amazon and the Barra Norte River.  This is a first time showing for that destination.  We were there on our Amazon River cruise on the Volendam in November-December 2022.  Unfortunately I didn't take any photos there.  I don't know if Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser has any but she can let us know later.

Praying for a good presentation for DGD Morgan this morning.  Hoping you all have a lovely day and enjoy your Valentine's Day with your loved ones (or furry friends--LOL!). ❤️ Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 26

Valentine's day is a sad day in my family,  It was 3 years ago today that my brother died.  He was doing well after back surgery and while I never heard any official cause of death I think it was from a blood clot.

I'll post more when I get back from my errands.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 22

IMG_1546.gif.e080969a93fdfb1c23eaad23fd5bf5be.gif

Thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Ann, Paul & Eva for their ongoing dedication.  Great collection of days!  While Valentine’s Day is on everyone’s mind, let’s not forget Frederick Douglass - the famous abolitionist and whom many credit for Black History month.  I like the quote.  

IMG_1551.webp.331bafe4d2209aae38de1f53ac4edfe5.webp

It’s a cold one today - very cold.  But, on the bright side, we escaped the ‘Nor Easter.  The snow started and stopped so quickly it wasn’t even a dusting!  I am grateful as Nova Scotia digs out more and poor Newfoundland is in for blizzards.  There’s no avoiding the periodontist this morning LOL.

IMG_1552.thumb.webp.ea4bc3d7b36ad1a7df6ccbb8d2233a84.webp

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1544.jpeg.02a69f44572e4f0c16fd968dde7bb660.jpeg

IMG_1548.gif.b81493d2a7404d9c0d1eb5594d8f2581.gif

• Like 29
  • Haha 3

Feb 14 Happy Valentine’s Day

Always a special day in our house. Our twin daughters were born on this day 54 years ago. I don’t know where that time went. I now have 2 grandchildren who are 20, the age I was when I got married and two who are 23.

Not sure I would pick lentil curry for a valentine meal unless my significant other was vegetarian, but the recipes are interesting. The first recipe comes with detailed instructions and substitution ideas.

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/lentil-curry/

image.thumb.png.c561fc28ad8beb05b9d13983051fae56.png

This one uses only two spices and water not stock. Claims to be quick and easy.

https://www.recipetineats.com/lentil-curry-mega-flavour-lentil-recipe/

image.thumb.png.d386435f268a88a7dd57e34fa5e4a37e.png

Pretty similar 

https://www.thecookingfoodie.com/recipe/Lentil-Curry-Recipe

image.thumb.png.42a9548cbc89f220a30c348c7ad529b2.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

Cool morning with the temp at 52 heading up to 75

Good selection of days

Happy Valentine’s Day

I love the quote as I read at least a book a week, 62 last year

Not wild about curry so I’ll pass on the meal

Won Wordle in 2 lines this morning, only second time I’ve accomplished that feat, usually takes 4 lines, still haven’t lost with 41 wins, fun game for the mind

Heading over to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning for our 9 day cruise on the Equinox, I’ll won’t be posting during the cruise as I take a rest from the internet when cruising, I need a rest from golf also

Have a great day and stay well

Have a great time on the Equinox; our favorite ship. Thank goodness I-75 cleared after that plane crash last week while trying to land on the Interstate.

Forgot to ask you on your birthday. Did you shoot your age?

• Like 16

Happy Valentines Day 💝 

Agree w/the quote, Pass on the meal (curry), maybe try the drink and wine, not been to the port.

Heading out to see the surgeon - hope to come back w/a plan for my shoulder; it's moving quite a bit, but I don't know if it's enough for him to proceed w/surgery.

The HR guy sent an invite to replace Monday's canceled call and it's right after the surgeon appointment. 

Currently 45° headed to sunny 70°. Still no rain in the forecast - I know we'll be begging for some in a couple months but the yard really needs to dry out.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240214_065538.thumb.jpg.314b71fbc13008777700b467ae866cf2.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and Happy Valentine’s Day.  It is pretty cold here and there are icy patches to watch out for on the sidewalks. The dogs get so excited and happy about the snow. It is fun to watch them bounce around and jump into the tall piles at the ends of the driveway.

I like the quote and enjoy greatly the way books transport a person to other situations and locations. Last night I finished “The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder” by David Grann. I think Tina @0106 had told us about it. It was an incredible book that I could not put down.

@superoma, Happy Birthday to your twins!

@Suslor, Happy Birthday to Lorenzo!

I am slowly getting back into cooking mode after a week of just winging it every night. I feel a lot better when things are organized and when I can get some of the prep done earlier in the day. Tonight we will have chicken cacciatore and baked shells for the vegetarians. I suspect the teenager will be with his girlfriend tonight. 
Have a great day everyone and stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Valentine's Day to everyone; if you're in a relationship, cherish it, if you're alone, do something special for yourself because you are deserving.  It might be visiting an art gallery,  getting your favourite ice cream or food, just do it because you are worthy.  I feel bad for those born with congenital heart defects and hope they can be medically managed.  My hat's off to Mr. Frederick Douglass for all he did for the African American community.

It's cool and dark out there this morning, we're down to -19C (-2F), and according to the weather app, we are not likely to see the sun at all today with the heavy clouds over us.  Maybe they'll drop more snow, who knows?  Right now it's 50/50 as to snowfall for today.  I'm glad @kazu's area escaped Mother Nature's wrath, although I feel bad for the other Maritime provinces and Eastern U.S. who are still digging out with more to come.

@Suslorplease with your DH a very Happy Birthday today!

@superoma Happy Birthday to your twins - you must have been a child when you had them!

An easy day for us today - I'm going to work on stitching together some of the coasters I was able to cut out yesterday.  DH has coffee with his band mates this afternoon, so I might take that time to do some housework without him around.  LOL 

Hearts.jpg.f8ca8dee6d21b9e5bcf834c67b5e8405.jpg

Hard pass on the drink of the day, I know I'd like the wine, and another hard pass on the menu suggestion.  I think I'd have a hard time being a vegetarian.  Usually on Ash Wednesday I try to burn something for dinner (I'm joking!), but because it's Valentine's Day we'll be ordering in from our favourite Italian restaurant and enjoying that at our kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in poor health, in grief, or in need of a hug.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Jäger Bomb

"The Jäger bomb is the answer to the question: 'What happens when two of the most notorious college beverages collide?' This drink does what it is meant to do, and to be honest, is tastier than it has any right to be. Go forth, young people." —Tom Macy

Today's drink is a variation of the Depth Charge, which is a shot glass of vodka that is dropped (still in the shot glass) into beer. This version uses an energy drink, which is supposed to offset the depressant effect of the alcohol, and Jägermeister, a German digestif introduced in 1934 that contains 56 herbs and spices and is 35% ABV. The two ingredients for the drink are readily available; finding a pint glass to hold it might be the difficult part. You may also need a kitchen towel.

jager-bomb-recipe-759713-step-03-256d8513bc37486da41fc12173e7d79d.thumb.jpg.578abf6e34480a773db6f90dd9743b3e.jpg

1 1/2 ounces Jägermeister Liqueur

1/2 (8.4-ounce) can Red Bull energy drink

Gather the ingredients. Fill a shot glass with Jägermeister. Pour half a can of Red Bull into a pint glass. Drop the shot glass into the taller glass. When drinking, be careful not to chip a tooth on the shot glass.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 19

@JazzyVyour lists are amazing. I salute your record keeping. Thanks for remembering that it is the twin’s birthday today.

@ger_77I turned 21 the July after the girls were born. Dh was 26. I think we were all more mature earlier than the kids now. I look at my grandchildren 20 and 23 and can’t envision them married with children! 

we are having lightly breaded haddock, air fried red potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts and Napa cabbage cole slaw for dinner tonight. 

Flowers from DH

IMG_0261.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Add
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1