Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

It has been very hot here both days in Moorea .  Temp is 88 and with the high humidity it is oppressive.  Tough coming back on the tender.  Having been here several times before we were prepared for this.  Just be aware it is hotter than Hawaii.  

Got our bag of laundry back today, it took 3 days.  My husband can really pack it tight.  We got an amazing number of clothes in.  When we boarded the ship there were 2 pieces of paper.  One had the laundry package prices.  It is $25/bag with all you can fit in it.  The other was the form you fill out to put in the laundry bag.  It was more cost effective for us to do it by the bag but it depends on how often you send off laundry.  We got our 4th star a week ago on this cruise.  No charge for the laundry yet but it will probably be coming.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DJ Cruisers said:

We got our 4th star a week ago on this cruise.  No charge for the laundry yet but it will probably be coming.

The free laundry doesn't start until the cruise after achieving 200 Mariner Points, but congratulations!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wondering if the duel pianos are still on Koningsdam or have they removed one like on Rotterdam? Who is (are) the piano player(s)? Reasonably good?

We are on the Solar Eclipse cruise next month and would like to know.

• Like 1

It’s been quiet here so just wanted to say we are really enjoying this long cruise.  Tomorrow we will be in Fakarava for another snorkel adventure.

Going to add a photo of our good night animal last night. 

IMG_3885.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I am several days behind because this Girl Is On Fire!! Literally speaking because it’s extremely hot and metaphorically  because this place is  paradise. No really- PARADISE!! 

Our first day in  Moorea i complete the photography tour offered by the ship. I had higher expectations for actual help with photography. The guide, while lovely, discussed composition only. Nothing in focal point, aperture, settings adjustment, etc…just elementary  composition. If you have a setting tab on your photo with grids in your camera you already know everything she taught us.

We did make 5 stops which were beautiful but the heat was oppressive and the oblivious elderly lady who kept standing in front of everyone’s photos was enough to make me want to poke my own lenses out.

All in all I did 3 HaL tours this cruise. None of them good. The Hollywood movies in Kauai was ok. The “lagoon snorkeling” on ohana catamaran in Papette was very poor and not to description. I’m still waiting for HAL to address my written concerns. I’ll keep you posted. The photography tour was probably just me having too high expectations. I don’t recommend that ship excursion for anyone but the most very beginning photographer. I suspect her day tours for those actually staying on island are more detailed because it’s clear she is a wonderful photographer herself. This is why I hardly ever do ship tours and likely won’t be booking any next year. 

Here are some of the photos she helped me to compose- This first one she actually took with my camera as an example. 

6E54F765-4E7E-4AFC-A25E-D327736A7A33.jpeg

0F771C11-C96B-4F27-8562-2278A59B6D82.jpeg

C4F05917-9AF5-4A47-9111-845712D08FDA.jpeg

BD07479C-E6FA-4EAF-B744-B0E33F425F67.jpeg

F2B9B606-E37F-48CD-A47C-81F5F992B031.jpeg

6F9C8B65-85FC-46CA-841E-6B7A6094EC6E.jpeg

A62D691C-4B35-4B43-A73B-C65A48679F50.jpeg

6A5CC518-293F-4C14-90BF-9208119A8507.jpeg

E137D65F-178F-4643-AD63-22E374119EEA.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 20

@BermudaBound2014 the photos are gorgeous! I have already cancelled one HAL tour in Kauai of the “Grand Canyon” because of reviews. I too am normally disappointed with them. Thanks for the heads-up.

I love following along on your trip; I can’t wait until next year!

Janet

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am several days behind because this Girl Is On Fire!! Literally speaking because it’s extremely hot and metaphorically  because this place is  paradise. No really- PARADISE!! 

Our first day in  Moorea i complete the photography tour offered by the ship. I had higher expectations for actual help with photography. The guide, while lovely, discussed composition only. Nothing in focal point, aperture, settings adjustment, etc…just elementary  composition. If you have a setting tab on your photo with grids in your camera you already know everything she taught us.

We did make 5 stops which were beautiful but the heat was oppressive and the oblivious elderly lady who kept standing in front of everyone’s photos was enough to make me want to poke my own lenses out.

All in all I did 3 HaL tours this cruise. None of them good. The Hollywood movies in Kauai was ok. The “lagoon snorkeling” on ohana catamaran in Papette was very poor and not to description. I’m still waiting for HAL to address my written concerns. I’ll keep you posted. The photography tour was probably just me having too high expectations. I don’t recommend that ship excursion for anyone but the most very beginning photographer. I suspect her day tours for those actually staying on island are more detailed because it’s clear she is a wonderful photographer herself. This is why I hardly ever do ship tours and likely won’t be booking any next year. 

Here are some of the photos she helped me to compose- This first one she actually took with my camera as an example. 

Beautiful pictures you ended up with some very beautiful pictures.  I actually learned from your pictures and will try a few in Fakarava.  Yes it is a true paradise but bless those that live here as the humidity and I are not getting along very well.  Thank you for sharing your pictures and thoughts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shears5055 said:

They are on board and I must say we are thoroughly enjoying them.  Clara V has some amazing talent and her new partner Lynn is quite good as well.  They work together very well.

Hmmmm. Wonder what happened to James (from Scotland?) James and Clara Vee both had just started together on the previous 18 day Hawaiian cruise and I thought they worked well together. I figured they both would have been on the current cruise. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, danogg said:

Tech question….how do you delete the pics when quoting someone?

I just address the replies to the commenters so I don’t have to figure that out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, danogg said:

Tech question….how do you delete the pics when quoting someone?

Click on the photo, then press DELETE. After deleting the photos there is usually quite a space left that you will want to DEL the returns/line-feeds to tighten it up.

ETA: you can also highlight just the sentence or part you want to reply to, let it sit there a few seconds, and click the QUOTE SELECTION button that pops up connected to the highlight.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Currently on this cruise too.  Yesterday in Moorea we took the "Highlights of Moorea" tour, the bus went around the entire island.  On previous trips we had stayed on the north side of the island and so this time we wanted to see it all.  Although the scenery was great, the driver/guide was extremely difficult to understand.  His accent was very strong.  Were lucky to catch one word here and there.  Others on the bus felt the same.

Also, if you wanted to see the Juice Factory book a tour that leaves on Saturday.  It is close on Sunday.  We had been there a couple times before so didn't care.

We had lots and lots of OBC so booked a few ship excursions.  Some were better than others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

and the oblivious elderly lady who kept standing in front of everyone’s photos was enough to make me want to poke my own lenses out

Great pictures.  I was hoping for one with the oblivious elderly lady.  🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

In Moorea we booked one night at the Hilton. There were at least 3 other couples there from the cruise. It was a $25 cab ride from the tender terminal (the taxis here are on a meter so same price both ways). There was a Polynesian show in the evening and live music at breakfast. We got there before check in so we lounged on the beach which had good snorkeling right from shore. Then once we checked in, the snorkeling from our bungalow was really great. We snorkeled about 4 hours. Then a dinner over the water and the reef sharks are there. The next morning more snorkeling until check out then a few more hours on the beach until back to the ship. It was a bit expensive but it was 2 days of excursions for 2 people, plus, we aren’t on next years cruise. It was seriously nice. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, SonuvaBeach said:

These were taken in Papeete...camera: Olympus TG6. I  am glad you liked them.

Wonderful!  We just bought that camera and had a great experience with it in Hawaii.  Now I need to go to French Polynesia! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So decided to try the DiveIn today for a hot dog. Was surprised when I asked if the milkshake is included with HIA. She said yes, as long as you order it at the DiveIn.  If you order from them it is but if you order it at the Gelato bar it isn’t 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Shears5055 said:

They are on board and I must say we are thoroughly enjoying them.  Clara V has some amazing talent and her new partner Lynn is quite good as well.  They work together very well.

I could not disagree more.

There is a group of cruisers who have abandoned Billboard as a musical venue.

Just proves taste in music varies.

Clara has earned the nickname screechy.  She has yet to learn to calibrate the volume according to venue.

Her new partner did play over Captain's announcements.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AryMay said:

Hmmmm. Wonder what happened to James (from Scotland?) James and Clara Vee both had just started together on the previous 18 day Hawaiian cruise and I thought they worked well together. I figured they both would have been on the current cruise. 

His contract ended when we docked in Oahu. He is sorely missed by some of us and his style offset Clara's over singing.  She was trained in musical theatre and her voice is too big for a relatively low ceilinged venue.

At least we still have BB Kings.

• Like 3