Silverseas Entertainment

tothfary

We are thinking of taking a Silverseas Cruise in Asia. We have always cruised with Royal and Celebrity. We enjoy going to the shows in the evening and I'm interested in finding out about the type of entertainment that is usually offered on Silverseas

Welcome😀, just for your information it is Silversea......(no s on the end).

They have singers and dancers and usually a pianist and sometimes a guitarist.  The shows are not like on the BIG SHIPS......(not as extravagant).  They do only have 1 show per night. I know on the big ships there are usually 2 shows.  There is also a DJ who usually plays in the Panorama Lounge.  

I am sure others will chime in too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Silversea entertainment…yawn.  Pretty dull.

Can't argue with that! Some of the shows have been OK but over the years we have stopped going to most of them. Granted, we have also gravitated towards expedition cruises, but we definitely do not go on Silversea for the entertainment.

Our idea of a fun cruise is great ports of call, full days ashore, nice dining, and then closing down the Panorama with drinks and dancing. We don't actively avoid the shows but then again, who has time for them with all the other stuff to do?

• Like 1

We hadn't sailed on SS until September, when we were on an Expedition ship for a non Expedition cruise. We very much enjoyed the bar pianist and guitarists, and the small group that played at various times, but I can't say that we even went to any of the shows. We have been mostly on Regent and Oceania, and although many enjoyed their shows, I usually regret going to them! 

Our next SS cruise is in less than 2 weeks, and we will probably try one or two of the shows, but with not so high expectations!

We are just off Silver Whisper (one of the oldest and smallest of their non-expedition ships) and were pleasantly surprised by the entertainment.  There were 2 singers and 4 dances, backed up by a terrific 4-piece rhythm section.  We had half a dozen shows on our 16-night cruise (no repeats), and all were completely live (no backing tracks).  Lots of costume changes.  My only complaint was that the song selection skewed a little too recent [many will consider this a strong point!], and the choreography aimed more at athleticism than grace.

In addition to those 'big' shows, each of the singers did a solo show and there were two guest artists who each did two different shows.  The Cruise Director is not a performer, so he only served as 'Ed McMahon.'  But the net was that we had a live show of some kind every night but one (when they showed a movie).

There was also a piano player and a guitar player who played in various bar setting at various times throughout the day and evening, and a DJ.  The band also played sets at the pool.

A destination lecturer did around four talks [scientific, not trying to sell shore excursions].  The Chef did a cooking demo.  There were two activities every day:  trivia and golf putting – these were laid back and a lot of fun, with points awarded that collected throughout the cruise for logo merchandise on the last day.  There was bingo at least once [free, with the same type of points for winning].

So it was much more like a scaled-down Celebrity than a luxury yacht experience.  I'm assuming that the newer/larger Silversea ships (esp. Nova and Ray) would have more and more-elaborate entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d describe main entertainment as more cabaret than production show. A couple of (decent) singers, maybe 2 dancers.  Not the production shows on RCL or X.  

For us, the downside is no alternative groups.  There is usually a violin or piano player.  Talented, but music to slit your wrists to.  Probably a trio, but IMHO, OK but not great.  

You don’t choose SS for entertainment.  Just saying. 

Nova had 5 dancers and 4 singers doing production shows on a 22-day cruise in October.  There were also several entertainers coming and going.  Solo performances were done by the singers in the Panorama.  A violinist was often in the champagne lounge and various entertainment in La Dolce Vita all evenings until midnight.  The Silver Note was my favorite to dine with a great jazz duo and dancing.   So, there was plenty of entertainment on Nova! 

• Like 1

There was also comedian on the NOVA on the TA crossing in November. She was very good (in my opinion) she had stories many of us could relate too and I laughed A LOT.😀

• Like 1

this cruise on Spirit…. a movie, nothing, karaoke, name that tune, 2 cabaret evenings, 2 guest artists…..There is background music nightly in Dolce Vita and guitarist or DJ in Panorama. I rate the shows as very light entertainment compared to their piers ( Crystal, Regent, Seabourn).

I didn’t go to any of the “big” shows, and that’s never been my thing on cruise ships - I don’t think they compare well to what I could go see at home.
But I was very pleasantly surprised by the caliber of the musicians on the Muse last year. There were 2 different piano players, a guitarist, and the duo in Silver Note and they were all a cut above the similar entertainment on Celebrity. There was also a Jazz night that was quite good. I enjoyed going to Silver Note for a nightcap and the show, even when I had eaten elsewhere. 

• Like 1