Passenger Walks Into Wrong Room

7 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

How can this be checked?

This actually happened to us.  We don’t know how long the battery was dead.  It was just a fluke that we tried the door handle without using our card (forgot we weren’t home), and the door easily opened.  We opened and closed the door, and then tried it a few more times, and it just opened, with no lock engaged.  When we called maintenance, they said they would repair it within an hour.  We were on our way to dinner and didn’t want to leave the cabin unlocked.  This surprised the maintenance department, but they came immediately to change the battery.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, willing292 said:

If the battery for the door lock is dead, the lock doesn’t work, and the door, although closed, will not be locked, and will open when the door handle is used.  

We had the opposite issue on Jewel. We went back to our room and neither of our cards would work. Of course, the first thing CS thinks is that we need new cards, so they print 2 new cards (really? both cards at the same time?). Go back up to our room (3/4 of the way down the deck 10 hall to the aft). Still won't open. Called the CS from the courtesy phone near the elevators, they wanted to make new cards. I'm like no, we just did that. They finally sent maintenance up. They tried their master cards, nope. Then they finally hooked up some device that must supply temporary power and can override the door and finally got the door open. On the inside, they popped the cover off, replaced the battery pack, and then everything was fine.

3 hours ago, willing292 said:

If the battery for the door lock is dead, the lock doesn’t work, and the door, although closed, will not be locked, and will open when the door handle is used.  

This exact thing happened last year to me now I check the door handle to be sure it locked when leaving the room.

• Like 3

I walked into the wrong cabin on an inaugural sailing....door wasn't closed all the way and I walked in.....to my surprise it was actually Richard Fain's cabin. He said hello and I said OMG I am so sorry, I must have the wrong cabin..what a nice guy he is...we both laughed....it happens.

• Like 4

Not sure when op said he wants to know what the cruise line did...what should they do? They aren't going to give you money because someone accidentally walked into your room. And they aren't going to throw someone off the ship for making a mistake. 

I was just at WA-WA with my mom last week getting her a coffee. I have a midsize black suv. I came out to find a woman standing with my door open and leaning half in my car. She looked to be in her mid to late 70's. I just started laughing when she said oh is this YOUR car. I said don't worry it happens to me at work too ( 3 of us at work have same suv same color same year). She said was it unlocked. Her car was also a black suv parked 3 cars down. She thought when she hit her fob and heard the beep that she was at her car lol mine was unlocked. She heard the beep because she was 3 cars from hers🤣

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Not sure when op said he wants to know what the cruise line did...what should they do? They aren't going to give you money because someone accidentally walked into your room...

I said it right at the beginning. To paraphrase, did security explain what happened and what did management do?

In the post over on Reddit, the pax were offered a different room. So that's one example.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not the same but I once walked into the wrong car. My wife was in the drivers seat while I went into a restaurant to buy food .I came out got into the car and the woman screamed.

I once got into the wrong car and started it.   It was only "What is that strange brush doing on the passenger seat" that clued me into the problem.  Weird thing was it was at college and I'd occasionally drive my grandparents car to keep in running.   So, it was a boat in that mint green color only on old_people's cars.  

43 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I once got into the wrong car and started it.   It was only "What is that strange brush doing on the passenger seat" that clued me into the problem.  Weird thing was it was at college and I'd occasionally drive my grandparents car to keep in running.   So, it was a boat in that mint green color only on old_people's cars.  

You had a key to someone else's car?

On 2/16/2024 at 10:42 AM, roupa said:

With the SeaPass cards now available at your cabin, it is very possible to pick one up, not check for your name, walk in and unpack!

So be SURE you’re in the correct stateroom by finding your name on the SeaPass card before settling in! 😲😴

Sadly, my husband and I did that on a cruise last year. We had only unpacked our toiletries  when he looked down at the  sea pass cards and saw our error.  We did a quick repack and walked the two feet over to our cabin. Amazing how a 4 and a 6 look alike🤣and no we were not rookies but very season travelers, I will blame it on having glasses that were not strong enough.

5 hours ago, TBone2K said:

I said it right at the beginning. To paraphrase, did security explain what happened and what did management do?

In the post over on Reddit, the pax were offered a different room. So that's one example.

Offering them a different room makes no sense.  Simply recode the lock.  I assume it's like hotel keys and they can disable any cards currently issued and then make new ones.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I had a key to my Grandparent's car but it worked in a stranger's car.   If it hadn't have been for the hairbrush I'd have driven away.  

Years ago I had a friend that was convinced his car was stolen.   It was a classic car even in the 80's.  Then they noticed that there was another car just like it in the parking lot, only not theirs.  They contacted the other owners and got their car back.  

While in college a friend of mine had a drunk stranger enter his locked apartment in the wee hours.  Fortunately her brother was visiting and sleeping on the couch.   The guy was mad at them for being in "his apartment."   They eventually got him out of the apartment.   In the morning, they reported it to the office and they admitted that there were only 7 keys total for the complex.  He was in the wrong building, but the same apartment within the building.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I think there were a limited number of key combinations, so it was possible, although highly unlikely, that the key will work in a different car.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

52 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I had a key to my Grandparent's car but it worked in a stranger's car.   If it hadn't have been for the hairbrush I'd have driven away.  

Years ago I had a friend that was convinced his car was stolen.   It was a classic car even in the 80's.  Then they noticed that there was another car just like it in the parking lot, only not theirs.  They contacted the other owners and got their car back.  

While in college a friend of mine had a drunk stranger enter his locked apartment in the wee hours.  Fortunately her brother was visiting and sleeping on the couch.   The guy was mad at them for being in "his apartment."   They eventually got him out of the apartment.   In the morning, they reported it to the office and they admitted that there were only 7 keys total for the complex.  He was in the wrong building, but the same apartment within the building.  

Often older cars from the 70s/80s the engine key cylinder would get lose/sloppy from a lot of use. If a key was similar enough and would turn when inserted into the ignition the car could start. We had someone who worked for us with an old truck with 200,000 miles that you would start with no key. All you had to do is turn the ignition and it would fire right up.

Nothing like today with push button starts. 😀

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

My husband once tried to enter a room with the same number, but on different deck. Card didn’t work so he knocked and the other guy was very surprised. Thankfully they laughed. 

Thankfully it was once during 60+ cruises.