Soup minus whisky

adamtoonarmy

3 minutes ago, adamtoonarmy said:

Crown Grill menu question. Has anyone tried to order the black and blue soup without the whisky? I don’t consume alcohol anymore and even when I did I didn’t like the taste of bourbon 

The whiskey is adding during preparation with a bit more added as served.  The second bit they will omit.  The first is a tiny bit and adds body, but did not add a whiskey taste IMO 

• Like 1

I've never tasted the whiskey in the Black and Blue soup. My wife detests whiskey and she says (I just asked her) that she has also never been able to taste whiskey in the soup.

Notes:

@Arizona Wildcat - Love your "location" 😁

@adamtoonarmy - The reason both replies to your query spelled whiskey with a "e" is that whiskey is the spelling for US or Irish whiskey. Whisky without the "e" denotes Scotch, Canadian, Japanese, etc. spirits. 😉

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

Isn’t the alcohol sort of mitigated by the cooking process? There are lots of recipes that incorporate wine or liqueurs. If you really want to avoid it completely you could always request they substitute the standard French onion soup they serve every night in the MDR. It’s quite good as well. 

• Like 3

I want to see if I can order it without the blue cheese, would prefer a different cheese but would take it without cheese if I had to.  I've tried to like blue cheese but just can't.

Maybe I'll order the black and blue soup, hold the Jack Daniels, hold the cheese, hold the onions........

14 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Isn’t the alcohol sort of mitigated by the cooking process? There are lots of recipes that incorporate wine or liqueurs. If you really want to avoid it completely you could always request they substitute the standard French onion soup they serve every night in the MDR. It’s quite good as well. 

It is. No alcohol left. 

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

It is. No alcohol left. 

That wouldn’t be true if it’s added right before serving as described in post #2. That’s not an uncommon way to serve soup.

I’ve seen a number of recipes that call for a last minute addition of alcohol in onion soup. 

I don't drink alcohol and hate blue cheese.  When I had the onion soup I asked for black with white cheese; no problem.  I definitely did NOT taste any alcohol.

5 hours ago, Eno said:

I want to see if I can order it without the blue cheese, would prefer a different cheese but would take it without cheese if I had to.  I've tried to like blue cheese but just can't.

Maybe I'll order the black and blue soup, hold the Jack Daniels, hold the cheese, hold the onions........

You can order it with out roquefort cheese.

3 hours ago, Torfamm said:

That wouldn’t be true if it’s added right before serving as described in post #2. That’s not an uncommon way to serve soup.

I’ve seen a number of recipes that call for a last minute addition of alcohol in onion soup. 

But you can order it without the last minute topping. 

6 hours ago, Eno said:

I've ordered it without the Blue Cheese....