Shipping charge for medallion

fluffyclouds

Depending upon the arrival time at the pier and also the number of people picking up their medallion it could be a real pain.  We waited in a check-in line at Vancouver in August close to 50 minutes just to get our medallion.  All to save the $10 shipping charge.  That will certainly teach me to be cheap.  But then the shipping cost is nothing more than what I term "revenue enhancement" for Princess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TM said:

Depending upon the arrival time at the pier and also the number of people picking up their medallion it could be a real pain.  We waited in a check-in line at Vancouver in August close to 50 minutes just to get our medallion.  All to save the $10 shipping charge.  That will certainly teach me to be cheap.  But then the shipping cost is nothing more than what I term "revenue enhancement" for Princess.

We had a similar experience in San Pedro a few weeks ago - waited in line more than an hour to pick up our medallions while my daughter and her husband who had received theirs via shipment in advance walked right onboard. We learned our lesson and will always get them shipped from now on as you really don’t know what the situation will be at any particular port. People have reported similar long waits in San Francisco. It’s worth the $10 in my estimation to avoid a long line and start my vacation hassle free. 

I believe that the shipping charge is only free if you have bought the  Princess Plus or Premier packages.  Not sure  if suite passengers get free shipping.  

Definitely not free shipping for Platinum or Elite  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Why get it shipped charge or not?  Pick it up at the pier.  Takes less time to do that then walk to your mailbox.  And no stress when it gets close to your cruise and the Medallion is not there.

That works...if there's no line for the Blue Lane. On our cruise in January. the Blue Lane was really long. It took us 45 minutes to get to the front and by the time we were at the front the line behind us was just as long as when we got in line.

The Green Lane line was almost non-existent. One or 2 at a time with no wait.

• Like 1

There is no shipping charge for individuals that have the plus or premier fares. Elimination of the shipping charge is not related to loyalty status nor to cabin category. it's related to your fare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TM said:

They've got to be sure not to make getting the medallion to quick in the terminal thus making the benefit of having a package less appealing. 😄

Thank you everyone for your responses. We thought it came with the Plus Package (which we have), but when ordering the medallions on the app it shows a $10 charge. This didn’t happen on our last cruise so we wondered if there was a policy change.

medallion shipping is included with the plus fare. 

^General Princess Plus Terms:The original Princess Plus package consists of Plus Beverage Package, Wi-Fi, and Crew Appreciation; the upgraded ($60 USD / $65 AUD) Princess Plus package includes all of the foregoing original package items plus Medallion shipping, Premium Desserts, Juice Bar, Fitness Classes, select Casual Dining with Pre-Fixe Meals, and Included One-Time Delivery Access Fee.

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We had a similar experience in San Pedro a few weeks ago - waited in line more than an hour to pick up our medallions while my daughter and her husband who had received theirs via shipment in advance walked right onboard. We learned our lesson and will always get them shipped from now on as you really don’t know what the situation will be at any particular port. People have reported similar long waits in San Francisco. It’s worth the $10 in my estimation to avoid a long line and start my vacation hassle free. 

LOL! The more I hear about sailing out of San Pedro the more I don't think I want to do it!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fluffyclouds said:

Thank you everyone for your responses. We thought it came with the Plus Package (which we have), but when ordering the medallions on the app it shows a $10 charge. This didn’t happen on our last cruise so we wondered if there was a policy change.

If you cannot get this sorted out when ordering, just check with GS once you board...they will refund that $10, probably in OBC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

LOL! The more I hear about sailing out of San Pedro the more I don't think I want to do it!

On the new Royal class ships it is not as ideal as they always use berth 92 which enters through what is in the nicest terms a quonset hut and in harshest terms a glorified tent. They have to crowd people into a smaller space than the nice entry building at berth 93 where we always used to be for embarkation.

There is no room for a separate Suite/Elite line like we have enjoyed in the past and people, especially those in the blue lane picking up medallions, are all squeezed into a single small, poorly ventilated and unappealing space where the line winds through a set up reminiscent of a theme park ride. On the upside the parking situation is great and it’s always fun to see the USS Iowa. And for us it’s a 1 hour drive from home. 

7 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm jealous!  We are land-bound here in Tennessee!

Well on the upside you get to experience all four seasons there, probably don’t spend hours in traffic and I bet people don’t lose their minds when it rains! 😊

5 hours ago, fluffyclouds said:

Yes, it'll show a $10 charge all the way til you complete the order, and then it's $0.

Make sure your app is showing your package correctly... 

If you do get charged the $10, keep a record of it and have it refunded aboard. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, karatemom2 said:

Well on the upside you get to experience all four seasons there, probably don’t spend hours in traffic and I bet people don’t lose their minds when it rains! 😊

Oh...we're very happy where we are!  Just waiting for our house to break off from the mainland during "the big one" would drive us up the wall!  We have great respect for those that live there!!! 😄

image.thumb.png.ffa47dc5d49f7572f58bb9e3f5896244.png

• Haha 1

The issue in Vancouver we saw last year with Green lane 5 minute wait and blue line at least 30 minutes. This may have gotten better since they now can ship to Canadian addresses 

10 hours ago, cruise4mom said:

The medallion is only shipped to US passengers with a physical address no PO Boxes. 

They now ship to Canada as well.

I also discovered that once you select to pick up at the pier, you cannot change your mind to have it shipped.

I have a question about the medallion....I was talking to a friend today who is going on the Sun shortly.  She was complaining that she had to buy a medallion holder.  I told her that it comes with a lanyard and we have our own holders and don't get charged anything when we pick it up at check-in.  She insisted that she had to buy something even though she was picking it up at check-in.  Is that correct or did she do something wrong?  We have picked ours up at the port on three cruises and didn't have to pay anything.

3 hours ago, Ferndale Girl said:

I have a question about the medallion....I was talking to a friend today who is going on the Sun shortly.  She was complaining that she had to buy a medallion holder.  I told her that it comes with a lanyard and we have our own holders and don't get charged anything when we pick it up at check-in.  She insisted that she had to buy something even though she was picking it up at check-in.  Is that correct or did she do something wrong?  We have picked ours up at the port on three cruises and didn't have to pay anything.

There is absolutely no additional charge for picking it up at port. Just the potential inconvenience of standing in a longer line and having embarkation delayed. The medallion comes with a standard, inexpensive lanyard that does the job if you aren't interested in anything fancy. I prefer not to wear a lanyard while on vacation - I do that at work. So I bought the bracelet and find it very convenient wearing my medallion on my wrist. However, the lanyard it comes with is perfectly fine and there is no need to spend extra for another holder unless you really prefer one - especially a wrist band or bracelet.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

There is absolutely no additional charge for picking it up at port. Just the potential inconvenience of standing in a longer line and having embarkation delayed. The medallion comes with a standard, inexpensive lanyard that does the job if you aren't interested in anything fancy. I prefer not to wear a lanyard while on vacation - I do that at work. So I bought the bracelet and find it very convenient wearing my medallion on my wrist. However, the lanyard it comes with is perfectly fine and there is no need to spend extra for another holder unless you really prefer one - especially a wrist band or bracelet.

That is what I thought but she insisted that she had to buy something.  We have picked ours up at the port three times with no charge.  We bought some wrist medallion holders from Amazon and put ours in them when we get them.  I don't know what she was doing wrong.  Thank you.

On 2/18/2024 at 12:34 PM, fluffyclouds said:

Same here....I can't get them to fix it.

• Like 1