Never Again RCI

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am curious to know which travel insurance you purchased.  Sounds like you had a good one.

My experience as a nurse working in a large rehabilitation hospital included screening patients who were injured overseas while traveling, whether it was a land or cruise-based trip. 

What I've learned is to always purchase trip insurance and then spring for the enhanced medical piece that covers your transport to return to your hospital of choice.  Otherwise, you may end up in the nearest state-side hospital, and getting back to the hospital that is desired or the one closest to your home is on your own dime.  

For the insurance nay-sayers out there here is just one example I encountered: a 50-ish year old female suffered a dislocated shoulder while snorkeling in the Dominican Republic, and unfortunately sustained a cardiac arrest while under anesthesia and remained in a coma afterwards.  Her family had to shell out $30K for ICU level air evacuation back to NJ.  

Every medical evacuation on your sailing should remind you that you need robust trip insurance for medical evacuation.  In the grand scheme of things: Lost luggage? Pffft.

Be safe,

Teddie

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I too am sorry to hear about illness.

but if the virus was caught on the ship, why would they charge you a lot of money.  I do not understand that portion.

They charge on board for the medical care, no matter where you catch the illness. They do sometimes cover injuries that occur during a Royal Caribbean sponsored event. 

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting question.  A rhinovirus is the most prevalent of the viruses causing common cold.  Usually no severe symptoms at all requiring hospitalization (about 3% of total cases and those have underlying conditions).  Sorry it happened to dliteu's mom.

We always carry a GeoBlue Trekker annual medical policy renewable each year.

In Canada there has been warnings about how serious rhinovirus is for seniors.  However the vaccine is about $150.  

So sorry you had such a bad experience. For you insurance was a necessity. 

I carry Medjet which gets me transported home. My large HMO covers medical anywhere in the world. The blanket advise to get insurance is not right for everyone. 

10 hours ago, squadron said:

In Canada there has been warnings about how serious rhinovirus is for seniors.  However the vaccine is about $150.  

My 81 year old mom got her shot this fall. My MIL at 76 did not.  That said, my mom is not as healthy as my MIL.  Unfortunately a bad cold can take out someone who is aged or immune compromised.  

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

So sorry you had such a bad experience. For you insurance was a necessity. 

I carry Medjet which gets me transported home. My large HMO covers medical anywhere in the world. The blanket advise to get insurance is not right for everyone. 

This is so true.  People should first check to see what their existing medical insurance covers before deciding anything about buying additional insurance.  I suspect that many people overinsure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

This is so true.  People should first check to see what their existing medical insurance covers before deciding anything about buying additional insurance.  I suspect that many people overinsure.

It reminds me of how people take out car insurance when they rent a car when they're already covered by their own insurance. Many credit cards also give travel insurance. 

I have been cruising every year since the 70's. I'm around 90 cruises now. If I had taken out insurance on every cruise at only $500 per cruise that would be a whopping $45,000. Then of course there's my spouse so that number would double. IF you have Medjet which costs about $400 annually per couple you have transport home to a hospital. My HMO ( Kaiser) would cover the medical services. My only loss would be the cruise fare which is no big deal when I consider that $45,000 I've saved over the years. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  I hope and pray she rebounds.

I am curious to know which travel insurance you purchased.  Sounds like you had a good one.

Bought online -Trawick International.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Most health insurance does not cover you out of the country. We always get travel insurance. Last year we were due to leave on a European cruise, very pricey as it included a precruise stay in Italy, a 6 day European cruise,followed by a transatlantic cruise. One week before departure I had a massive brainstem stroke. Out of nowhere. No known health issues except very mild hypertension controlled by med. Hospitalized for a week and subsequent hospitalization for closure of a hole between the chambers of my heart (apparently born with it but never knew, no symptoms). Thankfully we were fully reimbursed by our travel insurance. Just thankful it didnt happen when we were in the middle of the Atlantic on our way back to the States. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Most health insurance does not cover you out of the country. We always get travel insurance. Last year we were due to leave on a European cruise, very pricey as it included a precruise stay in Italy, a 6 day European cruise,followed by a transatlantic cruise. One week before departure I had a massive brainstem stroke. Out of nowhere. No known health issues except very mild hypertension controlled by med. Hospitalized for a week and subsequent hospitalization for closure of a hole between the chambers of my heart (apparently born with it but never knew, no symptoms). Thankfully we were fully reimbursed by our travel insurance. Just thankful it didnt happen when we were in the middle of the Atlantic on our way back to the States. 

Insurance was what you needed and you got it. My point is and was that not every one needs it. Check out what you may already have before you may the decision.

I hope you've recovered and are looking forward to many more cruises. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, teddie said:

My experience as a nurse working in a large rehabilitation hospital included screening patients who were injured overseas while traveling, whether it was a land or cruise-based trip. 

What I've learned is to always purchase trip insurance and then spring for the enhanced medical piece that covers your transport to return to your hospital of choice.  Otherwise, you may end up in the nearest state-side hospital, and getting back to the hospital that is desired or the one closest to your home is on your own dime.  

For the insurance nay-sayers out there here is just one example I encountered: a 50-ish year old female suffered a dislocated shoulder while snorkeling in the Dominican Republic, and unfortunately sustained a cardiac arrest while under anesthesia and remained in a coma afterwards.  Her family had to shell out $30K for ICU level air evacuation back to NJ.  

Every medical evacuation on your sailing should remind you that you need robust trip insurance for medical evacuation.  In the grand scheme of things: Lost luggage? Pffft.

Be safe,

Teddie

Agree wholeheartly

38 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It reminds me of how people take out car insurance when they rent a car when they're already covered by their own insurance. Many credit cards also give travel insurance. 

I have been cruising every year since the 70's. I'm around 90 cruises now. If I had taken out insurance on every cruise at only $500 per cruise that would be a whopping $45,000. Then of course there's my spouse so that number would double. IF you have Medjet which costs about $400 annually per couple you have transport home to a hospital. My HMO ( Kaiser) would cover the medical services. My only loss would be the cruise fare which is no big deal when I consider that $45,000 I've saved over the years. 

Same here.  I've never purchased the insurance, and I am WAY ahead of the game.  I knew (and still know) that it is a gamble, but so far it has paid off for me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Insurance was what you needed and you got it. My point is and was that not every one needs it. Check out what you may already have before you may the decision.

I hope you've recovered and are looking forward to many more cruises. 

Exactly.  I'm not saying people shouldn't get it.  I'm just encouraging people to first determine what they have and therefore what they need.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Exactly.  I'm not saying people shouldn't get it.  I'm just encouraging people to first determine what they have and therefore what they need.

17 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I agree, although I think more people don’t realize their insurance doesn’t work outside the US than those who double insure. I didn’t purchase insurance for our first cruise 25 years ago. Not only wasn’t I aware that there would be zero refunds if I cancelled months from sailing, I didn’t realize my decent health insurance wouldn’t cover me outside the US. Fortunately we had no issues. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, squadron said:

Do you mean RSV?  There is no vaccine anywhere including Canada for Rhinoviruses.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dliteu said:

Bought online -Trawick International.

We have Trawick International (their best policy) for a May trip/cruise in Europe that will be almost 4 weeks long.  For two short week long cruises out of the Caribbean, we purchased IMG SE.  All 3 have a good amount of medical evacuation included.  Unfortunately, for the shorter cruise to the Bahamas, I waited too long to take insurance out.  So it does not cover pre-existing conditions.  Two of the 5 of us going on the cruise have pre-existing conditions.  My husband (staying back at home) also has a PEC.  Hope this does not come back to haunt me!

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

IF you have Medjet which costs about $400 annually per couple you have transport home to a hospital. 

teddies post has me thinking!  I do not think that any of our medical evacuation coverage promises to fly us back to our home hospital. I am going to double check the Trawick policy since that is an overseas trip.   Can Medjet be added after final payments have been made on trips/cruises?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Do you mean RSV?  There is no vaccine anywhere including Canada for Rhinoviruses.

I think there is some confusion on this thread regarding RSV vs Rhinovirus (the common cold).

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

We have Trawick International (their best policy) for a May trip/cruise in Europe that will be almost 4 weeks long.  For two short week long cruises out of the Caribbean, we purchased IMG SE.  All 3 have a good amount of medical evacuation included.  Unfortunately, for the shorter cruise to the Bahamas, I waited too long to take insurance out.  So it does not cover pre-existing conditions.  Two of the 5 of us going on the cruise have pre-existing conditions.  My husband (staying back at home) also has a PEC.  Hope this does not come back to haunt me!

teddies post has me thinking!  I do not think that any of our medical evacuation coverage promises to fly us back to our home hospital. I am going to double check the Trawick policy since that is an overseas trip.   Can Medjet be added after final payments have been made on trips/cruises?

Medjet is an annual policy for anyone, not just travelers. If I get sick in Las Vegas they will fly me home to Los Angeles because I am over a certain mileage from home. I forget all the particulars but have never had to use them but have had their coverage for years. The good part is that you're covered for multiple trips annually not just the one you buy individual insurance for. Keep in mind they do not cover your medical expenses except for the medical transport. 

I did a Greenland cruise and felt good knowing they worked so far from home. It's not for everyone, I merely wanted to let others know insurance for a cruise isn't always the best way to go and it's very expensive for just one trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Medjet is an annual policy for anyone, not just travelers. If I get sick in Las Vegas they will fly me home to Los Angeles because I am over a certain mileage from home. I forget all the particulars but have never had to use them but have had their coverage for years. The good part is that you're covered for multiple trips annually not just the one you buy individual insurance for. Keep in mind they do not cover your medical expenses except for the medical transport. 

I did a Greenland cruise and felt good knowing they worked so far from home. It's not for everyone, I merely wanted to let others know insurance for a cruise isn't always the best way to go and it's very expensive for just one trip.

As an addition to, not a contradiction of, your statement. Geo Blue also has excellent medical transport benefits in their annual policy, as well as medical benefits outside the US. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  So from your statement, we could go ahead and purchase the Medjet now and our 3 upcoming cruises would be covered?

We purchased a yearly policy (RoamRight) two years in a row before Covid hit.  It not only covered our multiple cruises, but also covered beach trips, weekend trips, etc.  For last years cruise (our first since Covid) and a land trip to Europe the year before, we just covered our trip/cruise with standard trip insurance.

Though I am so sorry for the OP's situation and his mother's health, I am so glad that this subject came up.  While looking at my insurance policy for the big May trip, I realize that I somehow messed-up the date of our return. 😏  I need to call and get 4 more days covered. 😮

This is the wording on our policy for med-vac:

Emergency Evacuation means:

(a) Your medical condition warrants immediate Transportation from the Hospital where You are first taken when injured or sick to the nearest Hospital where appropriate medical treatment can be obtained;

(b) after being treated at a local Hospital, Your medical condition warrants Transportation to Your Home where You reside, to obtain further medical treatment or to recover; or

(c) both (a) and (b), above.

Covered Evacuation Expenses are reasonable and customary expenses for necessary Transportation, related medical services and medical supplies incurred in connection with Your Emergency Evacuation. All Transportation arrangements made for evacuating You must be by the most direct and economical route possible. Expenses for Transportation must be: (a) recommended by the attending Physician; (b) required by the standard regulations of the conveyance transporting You; and a guest (c) authorized in advance by the Company or its authorized Travel Assistance Company and arranged by the Company’s authorized Travel Assistance Company.

On 2/19/2024 at 12:53 PM, dliteu said:

Never did hear from him again after he delivered the forms we needed for Mexico.

First, I'm sorry about your mom's health and your aggravation.  

Second, I'm not clear on what Royal's responsibility is after they get you off the ship and to a hospital. Hospitals have social workers to help with this type of thing.  

On 2/19/2024 at 1:40 PM, teddie said:

frequently, people become ill or get injured and transported off a ship on every sailing. 

Yes, people become sick /injured on every sailing ... but I think being transferred off the ship is a fairly rare event.  I'm quite sure it doesn't happen on every sailing.  

On 2/19/2024 at 1:40 PM, teddie said:

I do not think another comparable cruise line would handle things much differently--they stabilized her, had her transported, and billed you as expected.

Agree. I understand being frustrated, but I don't think insurance will hold your hand through the emergency.  I mean, I'm thinking about when a tree fell on our house after a hurricane ... yeah, insurance paid, but while Nationwide might be on your side, they didn't show up the next morning with a chainsaw.  Jake from State Farm did not run out to Home Depot to bring us tarps.  Prudential's Flo didn't offer us use of her bathroom or washer/dryer.  They paid.  That's what insurance does.  

On 2/20/2024 at 5:13 AM, dliteu said:

I honestly can't imagine what would have happened without credit cards.

So true!  It's also smart to carry two different credit cards; it's not common for one to fail in any way, but it has happened to me -- on vacation.  

It also makes me think maybe I'm not carrying enough cash -- you know, for small things like taxis, meals.  

On 2/20/2024 at 5:19 AM, silversneakers said:

I am truly sorry this happened to you and your family.  I do know RCL has a care team and you might ask RCL if there was supposed to be someone assigned to you and your family to assist you through your process which I'm sure would have been a great relief to you and your family.

Thinking through "best practices" in case we should ever have an emergency during a cruise ... seems it'd be smart to store Royal Caribbean's main Miami phone number in your phone.  

15 hours ago, teddie said:

Yes, know exactly what your insurance will do for you.  Don't guess.  

12 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The blanket advise to get insurance is not right for everyone. 

Eh, disagree.  You're just saying you have a different type of insurance -- you're arguing against trip-specific coverage, and I can understand that. 

Someone just said it can be 30K for a flight back home ... that'd be on top of medical care, etc.  Even if you can pay that, you don't want to do so.  

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Same here.  I've never purchased the insurance, and I am WAY ahead of the game.  I knew (and still know) that it is a gamble, but so far it has paid off for me.

You've been lucky.  And, yes, the chances of you ever needing medical evac are minuscule ... but, if you are one of the tiny percentage, you'll be glad you were insured.  

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Rhinovirus is a virus.  I mean, it's right there in the name.  

I totally believe in vaccinations -- all hail Edward Jenner, Jonas Salk and the other brilliant scientists who gave us this wonderful protection -- they have changed our world.  But, yeah, you can't vax against Rhino.  

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You've been lucky.  And, yes, the chances of you ever needing medical evac are minuscule ... but, if you are one of the tiny percentage, you'll be glad you were insured.  

Doubtful, as I'm so far ahead of the game at this point.