Letting kids in the Solarium for a couple of hours-Opinions?

cruisekitty22

33 minutes ago, mom says said:

How about curmudgeon or termagant, depending on gender? Why do iget the feeling that you are the angry neighbour' who stands on the porch yelling at everyone to get off your lawn?

No, that'd be me. I'm looking for the word for you. 🙂

• Like 1

I already gave one response but some of the responses are really getting to me as I sailed for years with my now adult kid on Celebrity so I feel like adding more.

THIS IS NOT NEW.  Celebrity has been doing this for years and years on cold weather cruises.  People are acting like the world is coming to an end if kids are able to spend two small hours per day in an indoor pool as they would not be able to swim at all without that privilege, an activity kids love and on Celebrity in particular really would benefit by it (without a lot of other kids activities like some lines).  This does not mean it is the beginning of allowing kids in that pool all the time and on every cruise.  Again, this is not new - it has been going on for years.  It is now just being made official and consistent (consistency being something Celebrity needs to do more of!).

Am I as concerned as the next person over the continued "Royalization" of Celebrity?  YES and I have stated so many times on these boards.  But skeptic as I am I really, truly do not believe this is just step one of allowing it as a regular benefit on all cruises, or increasing hours etc..  

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 11

23 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

It has been going on for a while now..every now and then, someone here gets all ruffled up.  I rarely see enough kids on Celebrity for it to matter. 

Same here, rarely see kids and have not noticed any not well behaved. Personally, we have not seen any in the solarium other than one with a parent in a hot tub on Apex once. Was well behaved. Now, I couldn't say that with the kids that were in Solarium Bistro during lunch time, no so well behaved and the parents were with them. We'll see in a couple of months on Beyond.

8 minutes ago, Maisyboo said:

I was hoping for more kid free spaces not less . Another reason to look towards other cruise lines . 

This has been happening for years on Celebrity so it obviously has not affected you

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gold1953 said:

This has been happening for years on Celebrity so it obviously has not affected you

Actually it has . We have 1 cruise remaining then it will be a different line for us . 

Touchy topic. In reality Celebrity just doesn't carry many kids, at its peak less than 8-9% of passengers. I'm not sure why the blog that covered this chose to pick it up since it's not necessarily news. There are other red flags, so to speak, that point to the push for more kids on board like the recent 3/4th guest sail free promotion and now incentivizing travel agents to book guest 3/4/5 in cabins. 

• Like 1

Not a big issue .. has worked out for  quite awhile but its getting testy..Both of the  current threads could easily ve closed!

But it is a pet peeve that Cruisers from other lines  join X and try to change it! Dress Codes.....other rules etc.  If they loved the other lines, then   stay with them!

Celeb is modernizing but still a classy operation..hope it stays that way!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Maisyboo said:

Actually it has . We have 1 cruise remaining then it will be a different line for us . 

so you have been affected while there?  As I said this is not new 

15 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I already gave one response but some of the responses are really getting to me as I sailed for years with my now adult kid on Celebrity so I feel like adding more.

THIS IS NOT NEW.  Celebrity has been doing this for years and years on cold weather cruises.  People are acting like the world is coming to an end if kids are able to spend two small hours per day in an indoor pool as they would not be able to swim at all without that privilege, an activity kids love and on Celebrity in particular really would benefit by it (without a lot of other kids activities like some lines).  This does not mean it is the beginning of allowing kids in that pool all the time and on every cruise.  Again, this is not new - it has been going on for years.  It is now just being made official and consistent (consistency being something Celebrity needs to do more of!).

Am I as concerned as the next person over the continued "Royalization" of Celebrity?  YES and I have stated so many times on these boards.  But skeptic as I am I really, truly do not believe this is just step one of allowing it as a regular benefit on all cruises, or increasing hours etc..  

People only read headlines, and do not bother to look at the whole context or post whole context.  Thats unfortunate.  Honestly, I have seen the signs posted for years with the Solarium for kids at odd hours, 5-7 etc.  Been sailing since early 2000's with them.  Personally, Im thinking of putting a title of Celebrity Moving on from M class ships and S class ships and see what happens.  Yes in 30 years guess what those ships most likely will not be in the fleet but almost want to see and be amused by people who only read headlines.  

• Like 1

I think it's fine. There are not usually a lot of kids on Celebrity cruises and 5-7p most people are getting ready for, or eating, dinner... Celebrity is trying to become more family friendly.  I agree this is not new. I expect Celebrity to do a few more family things as well like maybe add an arcade (like Princess is doing with their bigger ships).  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hcat said:

Not a big issue .. has worked out for  quite awhile but its getting testy..Both of the  current threads could easily ve closed!

But it is a pet peeve that Cruisers from other lines  join X and try to change it! Dress Codes.....other rules etc.  If they loved the other lines, then   stay with them!

Celeb is modernizing but still a classy operation..hope it stays that way!

Kids did not use to run around the hallways at night on Celebrity.  It is happening now.  A downgrade IMHO.  Nothing classy about getting woken up by kids running ...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Here’s the problem.  The type of people who will cause problems with this policy aren’t the type to read signs or feel the rules apply to them.  So they will bring their kids in at other times.  And we know how reluctant Celebrity employees are to enforce the rules because of potential blowback to them personally from the violating cruisers.

Edited by manmachine
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, manmachine said:

Here’s the problem.  The type of people who will cause problems with this policy aren’t the type to read signs or feel the rules apply to them.  So they will bring their kids in at other times.  And we know how reluctant Celebrity employees are to enforce the rules because of potential blowback to them personally from the violating cruisers.

Has that been the case in the past?  I’ve never noticed it..realize this not a brand new policy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I probably would not care how many kids were onboard,  if Celebrity would not allow them to run around the hallways in the evening.  

Royal 2.0.

One nice thing about AQ Class..fewer kiddos, less crowded  and  usually quiet hallways!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Has that been the case in the past?  I’ve never noticed it..realize this not a brand new policy

I have seen children in the Solarium before, yes, both during the ‘allowed’ hours and also during the ‘not allowed’ hours.  Staff ignored them during the ‘not allowed’ times.

• Like 3

The E Class Solarium doorway to the elevator is a hazard due to water and slick floor regardless of the age of the individuals using the solarium.  This should be a bigger concern than who may be using the venue.  

I'd add that our child and myself were often one of a handful entering the pools after 4:45/5 pm ish during Easter Break last year and the year before, and not the reason for people taking leave for other parts of the ship.  We hope it's the same on our upcoming cruise.  Regardless we hope to avoid encounters with cranky guests of any age. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 6:17 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I think the problem is the old adage “give an inch, they’’ll take a mile”.   It isn t Just 2 small hours,!     As I mentioned in my post, we had children in the solarium pool during the afternoon - not the 5-7 pm time.   2 boys, were unsupervised.    I got hit with a swim noodle and Mom just giggled.    Granted noodles dont hurt but could knock ones glasses off, but that is beside the point. Mom made no effort to control her child or recognize swim toys don’t belong in all venues.  

There does seem to be a difference in parenting with some parents totally ignoring rules and, not controlling or supervising their children.    Rules seem to mean nothing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

One nice thing about AQ Class..fewer kiddos, less crowded  and  usually quiet hallways!

We were in AQ and had kids running around.  Not quiet hallways by any stretch of the imagination.

4 hours ago, manmachine said:

The reluctancy of Celebrity employees to enforce the rules is changing Celebrity from a Premium Line to Royal 2.0.  Five star hotels do not have this issue with kids consistently running around the halls.  The rules are enforced. Therefore they command a higher price tag.

Relaxed Luxury ™ to Luxury LOL ™

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2