Specialty Dining and Children and trying to formulate a strategy

Free kids meals for those 12 and under.  The 13 year old will be 13 years plus 14 days old.  Will they force her to eat/order from adult meals?  Like when we show our ID, will it allow her to have a kids meal or would it kick back the kids meal as invalid option because she is no longer 12?

Secondly, it is well documented you can't give away specialty meals to others but can you switch plates?  Or would this be a up to the specific specialty dining staff?

My situation is we have Grandma in a cabin with a 13 year old granddaughter and a 10 year old granddaughter.  On the reservation is gma, the 10 year old and then the 13 year old so the SDP is under gma and the 10 year old.  There is no way that either of these girls would eat a $30 steak plus apps and sides.  They can barely eat a happy meal.  Just trying to figure out a way to utilize the 4 specialty dining credits (2 people X 2 meals)  I don't really want to accept I will be forced to use a specialty dining credit on an already free kids meal

Is it possible to do this?

Meal 1

Specialty meal, kids meal, kids meal

Meal 2

Meal 3

kids meal, Specialty meal, kids meal

Meal 4

with meals 3 and 4, the staff would put the bill meal under the 10 year old and then gma could just switch plates or something?

Any thoughts, ideas, ect?  I called NCL to ask about it and they were less then helpful.

43 minutes ago, ChrysFox said:

If I understand OP correctly, they're asking if they can do the complete opposite of that. 
Use the dining credit for the adult meal, and have the girls order from the (already free) children's menu.
Or rather, each orders what their certificate indicates, and swap plates.
Makes sense to me.  YMMV

Pretty much.  We aren't sure the 13 year old will be sailing with us so right now it is a for sure gma and a 10 year old.  I'm trying to figure out strategize how to utilize my benefit the best way. I don't want to use a $90 gift card and trade it for a happy meal.  That just feels wrong.  I completely understand the basis of not sharing because people would buy the 7 day packages, get the best price, and then share with all their friends in other cabins, but this is completely different.

2 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Secondly, it is well documented you can't give away specialty meals to others but can you switch plates?

Technically, what you are planning is not allowed under the terms and conditions. 

The staff might look the other way but switching/swapping meals is not allowed under the SDP. 

2 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Free kids meals for those 12 and under.  The 13 year old will be 13 years plus 14 days old.  Will they force her to eat/order from adult meals?  Like when we show our ID, will it allow her to have a kids meal or would it kick back the kids meal as invalid option because she is no longer 12?

The system might not catch the age since many people older than 12 have ordered from the kids' menu. However, the restaurant staff could rightfully not allow the 13 year-old to eat at a specialty restaurant for free. 

1 hour ago, thesnoopster2 said:

If I am entitled to a free meal valued up to $90, I don't want to use my free meal certificate on an already free meal.  

Grandma is entitled to 2 specialty meals. Your plan is to get her 4 specialty meals. 

3 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Secondly, it is well documented you can't give away specialty meals to others but can you switch plates?  Or would this be a up to the specific specialty dining staff?

My situation is we have Grandma in a cabin with a 13 year old granddaughter and a 10 year old granddaughter.  On the reservation is gma, the 10 year old and then the 13 year old so the SDP is under gma and the 10 year old.  There is no way that either of these girls would eat a $30 steak plus apps and sides.  They can barely eat a happy meal.  Just trying to figure out a way to utilize the 4 specialty dining credits (2 people X 2 meals)  I don't really want to accept I will be forced to use a specialty dining credit on an already free kids meal

Meal 1

Meal 2

Meal 3

Meal 4

with meals 3 and 4, the staff would put the bill meal under the 10 year old and then gma could just switch plates or something?

Any thoughts, ideas, ect?  I called NCL to ask about it and they were less then helpful.

I would never force or even ask my teenagers to eat off, the kids meal. I would buy them their own meal package. Grandma eating steak while kids eat a piece of cheese pizza doesn’t work in our family. Might as well ask them to go on their own to the buffet. 

Two bites from a steak is good enough. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

When my now adult children were younger and they cruised with us, we enjoyed watching them decide what to order for their appetizer, salad or soup, entree and dessert. When we went to restaurants at home, they asked if they could order an appetizer and soup or salad. On the cruise ship, we did not suggest they order from the kid’s menu. I am happy to say my adult kids are adventurous eaters and definitely not picky as they tried escargot and other options when cruising. 

Now while we aren’t that old but have an 8 year old granddaughter who has cruised with us for 3 cruises, we don’t even give her the option of a kid’s menu. She likes Caesar salads, French onion soup, and the adult entrees even if she can’t finish them. She loves Miso soup but not the salad, the rice and Chicken Udon noodles at Teppanyaki.  You paid a lot for this cruise. Why are you assuming your granddaughters don’t deserve to be treated to normal meals and should be forced to order from the kid’s menu to save you a little money? Shouldn’t you be the example to show them how much they are valued and have the option to order from the adult menu? 

When you arrive to a specialty dining restaurant, let them know who will use the specialty dining meals. 

• Like 2

If the OP has 2 paid for specialty meals for two people for the cruise, he can tell the matre’ d how many specialty meals should be charged when checking in for each meal 

I recommend the OP @thesnoopster2 splurge in paying for some pre-paid specialty dining meals for the 13 year old and 10 year old. They will likely appreciate trying new foods and the fun of having a multi-course meals. Trust us - life is short. We have experienced the horrible loss of a young person in our immediate family and  you would spend the $ and time if you knew what we have unfortunately experienced.  

• Like 1

Seriously. A 13 year old eating the same kids chicken strips or Mac and cheese as a 5 year old? Doesn’t matter if they are girls but still. That 13 year old deserves grown up food and not some 5 year old kids menu stuff. Please do that youngster a favour and let her have adult food. For sure if the 10 year old wants still those kids foods then she can eat them and give her adult food to the 13 year old (cannot imagine though she would either be very happy but anyway). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Seriously. A 13 year old eating the same kids chicken strips or Mac and cheese as a 5 year old? Doesn’t matter if they are girls but still. That 13 year old deserves grown up food and not some 5 year old kids menu stuff. Please do that youngster a favour and let her have adult food. For sure if the 10 year old wants still those kids foods then she can eat them and give her adult food to the 13 year old (cannot imagine though she would either be very happy but anyway). 

Totally agree. The 13 year old and 10 year old are deserving of an adult menu even if they can’t finish it all. 

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

No I am not trying to cheat, I'm trying to utilize my benefits and not get ripped off.  If I am entitled to a free meal valued up to $90, I don't want to use my free meal certificate on an already free meal.  

Grandma, 10 year old, 13 year old.

As per NCL terms and conditions this means two adults and one kid.

One certificate for the two adults and the 10 year old eats free.

Where is the problem ?

It clearly mentions "UNDER 12". It does not say "around 12 " or "approx. 12".

Why is it so difficult for the people to accept the terms and conditions ? Instead they are trying to find the best way to cheat.

And 3 years later they are wondering why NCL raises the prices for the free at sea or reduces the perks.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Meal 1

Meal 2

Meal 3

Meal 4

I'm confused! (Nothing new there...) Who would the two  kid¨s meals in 3 and for be ordered for? Kid + Granny? That definitaly wouldn't be an option! So I guess the answer would be "no" then... 

11 hours ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

So, it seems you want us to tell you how to cheat the system.

Good luck with that.

Sure seems that way..there is a reason we can’t have nice things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Grandma, 10 year old, 13 year old.

As per NCL terms and conditions this means two adults and one kid.

One certificate for the two adults and the 10 year old eats free.

Where is the problem ?

It clearly mentions "UNDER 12". It does not say "around 12 " or "approx. 12".

Why is it so difficult for the people to accept the terms and conditions ? Instead they are trying to find the best way to cheat.

And 3 years later they are wondering why NCL raises the prices for the free at sea or reduces the perks.

I wonder if this strategy has been discussed with Grandma. It is pretty tacky and uncouth. I feel sorry for the family. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

To be clear, there will be 3 people in a room with one adult and two kids/teens.  One of the kids will have the FAS dining package.  You are trying to figure out how you can use all 4 meals by using the 2 credits on the kids booking.  Is that correct?

If so, probably not going to work because the credits are non transferable.  The waiter could turn a blind eye and allow it but it’s not guaranteed.  The only restaurants where credits can be shared are the tapas/small plates restaurants like Food Republic or sushi.

Never seen a "kids meal" being offered or served on the SDP.  So, my guess is "no" as their kitchens are not set up for that.

Generally speaking, if someone is sitting at a table at a specialty dining restaurant, they should either be covered by a package or be prepared to pay a la carte.  Sharing dinners is not allowed.

So, if you want the 12-13 year olds to dine with you at Specialty Restaurants, by them their own SDP package.  Problem solved.

52 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Never seen a "kids meal" being offered or served on the SDP.  So, my guess is "no" as their kitchens are not set up for that.

Generally speaking, if someone is sitting at a table at a specialty dining restaurant, they should either be covered by a package or be prepared to pay a la carte.  Sharing dinners is not allowed.

So, if you want the 12-13 year olds to dine with you at Specialty Restaurants, by them their own SDP package.  Problem solved.

Kids can order from the kids menu at specialty restaurants (Mac and cheese, hot dog), one of my kids chose to as le bistro when she was 10 (her 8 year old brother had multiple plates of escargot). None of my kids would’ve liked the kids menu at 13.

This thread would go well with the recent thread about circumventing the NCL drink package restriction on 'sharing' drinks with a 3rd non-paying person!   😃  

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Kids can order from the kids menu at specialty restaurants (Mac and cheese, hot dog), one of my kids chose to as le bistro when she was 10 (her 8 year old brother had multiple plates of escargot). None of my kids would’ve liked the kids menu at 13.

Learn something new every day!  But, makes sense that 12-13 year olds would not qualify for kids menus at a restaurant where every seat is a revenue seat in a specialty restaurant!

• Like 1

Technically, the free dinners are assigned to the person who has them. Also note, that the kids menu is the same kids menu across the whole ship, not a special kids menu per restaurant.

Assuming you got the SDP as part of the free at sea promo, in all honesty, for that cabin I would forego the promotion. Use the money you are saving on the gratuities for the package to pay for grandma a la carte.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Learn something new every day!  But, makes sense that 12-13 year olds would not qualify for kids menus at a restaurant where every seat is a revenue seat in a specialty restaurant!

I think a 12 or 13 year old would  still be charged the adult price even if they ordered from a kids menu. 

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think a 12 or 13 year old would  still be charged the adult price even if they ordered from a kids menu. 

Kids menu for a 12-13 year old is a stretch, at best, anyway!

• Like 3

There is a kids menu available for children 12 and  under.  We were told that all kids meals were cooked in one restaurant and transported to the specialty dining rooms, so it takes awhile to arrive.  One server (out of 6 restaurants we went to) suggested substituting an appetizer instead of the kids menu.  It is possible they may allow that but you cannot depend upon it.  

Please note that the specialty restaurants on my first NCL cruise 13 years ago were amazing and well worth the upcharge, but on my last cruise we regretted purchasing an extra 2 meal package above what was included in the room.  The steaks were perfectly cooked but served ice cold in Cagney's, and they ran out of a bunch of sides.  Only Ocean Blue was worth the upcharge.  You can try whatever you are attempting here, but there's no guarantee you won't be charged full price for the extra meals.  The only guarantee would be to purchase more dining packages, but they were definitely not worth it on my cruise, although other people on different ships report different experiences.  

I'd recommend feeding people who don't eat very much in the buffet (if you look really hard you will find some good food there - usually the carving stations or ethnic food) and then sending the kids to the kids club while you eat whatever meals came with your room.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Meal 1

Meal 2

Meal 3

Meal 4

If the older child were 12 + 14 days, I would think you could slide by on the age. But you're a whole year beyond that - not so great.

So, you want to use the 13 Y/O's free meal on 2 nights and do kid's menu's for both 4 times? Yikes - talk about pushing the envelope - it just tore through.

You're only short by 2 meals - buy an upgrade.

• Like 1

OP, if you're still around after all the bashing...I think @kitkat343 gave you the absolute best option. The girls would be happy with an appetizer or dessert. Let them eat those. 

If they could eat off the kids menu, you don't want them to. My husband ordered the pizza, tenders, and hot dog. The pizza was mostly edible, the tenders were not edible (like at all), and the hot dog was ok'ish. The kids menu is really not a good option for a dog based on our experience. @Goldenknight knows all about the kid's menu and my husband's satisfaction of it. 

Good luck! 

okay, we have a similar issue but different ages.  Me and my 15 year old are booked in one room and my husband and 6 year old are in the other room.  Later we found out that our 18 year old could join us so we added him to my husbands room.  Now all of us but him have two dining credits.  I know we could get him his own two dining credits to not have any issues but my 6 year old isn't going to eat anything but the kids meals anyway. Even at home she is the pickiest eater in the world so I am sure she will be living on fries and fruit on the cruise.   So the question from us is, could the five of us go into Cagney's order 4 adult meals and one kid meal and then just charge all 4 to our speciality dining credit and then do the same thing at Le Bistro another night?  Or does the restaurant know that the 6 year old is the other booked specialty meal and will end up charging my older son for his meal?