Input on Crystal

travelfool123

Royal Viking - my parents used to sail on that line before they switched to Crystal when it was launched.  Don't know if it was crew or ?  but Crystal was supposed to be built on Royal Viking with improvements.   I searched the web for Royal Viking - I found that a couple of their ships are still sailing - talk about old vessels.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Royal Viking - my parents used to sail on that line before they switched to Crystal when it was launched.  Don't know if it was crew or ?  but Crystal was supposed to be built on Royal Viking with improvements.   I searched the web for Royal Viking - I found that a couple of their ships are still sailing - talk about old vessels.

We were actually on the Royal Viking Sun over 40 years ago; wonderful cuisine.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, LewiLewi said:

We were actually on the Royal Viking Sun over 40 years ago; wonderful cuisine.

I don't think it was the Sun you were on 40 years ago (Star, Sky or Sea?) as Sun was built 36 years ago.  All the Royal Viking ships were in service up to the Pandemic, but now only 2 remain.

Royal Viking Queen is now Windstar's Star Legend.  I had 171 fabulous nights on Sun as HAL Prinsendam.  She is still going strong as Amera for Phoenix Reisen.  I got a final look at her when she visited Baltimore last April 6:

IMG_0773.thumb.JPG.67a2a8ad07e86f4e5a822ab58abb1a2c.JPG

Roy

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 9:32 AM, travelfool123 said:

I goofed. I meant Celebrity not Crystal!

Same answer as Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is a mass-market cruise line. Crystal is a luxury cruise line. They are not comparable, other than the fact that you’re on a cruise ship. 

I think @ChatKat in Ca. nailed it: Holiday Inn vs Ritz Carlton. Celebrity might be a slight cut above Royal Caribbean, but not by much. Whereas Crystal is as luxe and high-end as you can get. 

4 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Same answer as Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is a mass-market cruise line. Crystal is a luxury cruise line. They are not comparable, other than the fact that you’re on a cruise ship. 

I think @ChatKat in Ca. nailed it: Holiday Inn vs Ritz Carlton. Celebrity might be a slight cut above Royal Caribbean, but not by much. Whereas Crystal is as luxe and high-end as you can get. 

The OP mentioned she made a mistake. She was not interested in comparing Royal or Celebrity to Crystal but she wanted to get information on how Royal compared to Celebrity. She was just on the wrong board. See post #7. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

The OP mentioned she made a mistake. She was not interested in comparing Royal or Celebrity to Crystal but she wanted to get information on how Royal compared to Celebrity. She was just on the wrong board. See post #7. 

OOOOH! I get it now. I misread it to mean she wanted a comparison between Celebrity and Crystal, not Royal and Crystal.

This makes way more sense. 

Edited by Leejnd4

22 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think it was the Sun you were on 40 years ago (Star, Sky or Sea?) as Sun was built 36 years ago.  All the Royal Viking ships were in service up to the Pandemic, but now only 2 remain.

Royal Viking Queen is now Windstar's Star Legend.  I had 171 fabulous nights on Sun as HAL Prinsendam.  She is still going strong as Amera for Phoenix Reisen.  I got a final look at her when she visited Baltimore last April 6:

IMG_0773.thumb.JPG.67a2a8ad07e86f4e5a822ab58abb1a2c.JPG

Roy

I guess it must have been Star or Sky. I remember a celebration on board when both ships came into New York harbor on the same day. Also, I loved Windstar Legend, not even realizing that it was a Royal Viking ship at one time. Funny, I had been on almost every HAL ship,except Prinsendam, and now realize that I was on that ship, only it was the Star Legend at that time.