Using your phone as a room key

Does this still work on the ships with rfid capable doors? Or have they removed this from the app? If you're currently sailing and it's still a thing can you take a picture of the section on your app with it? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miloomar said:

Does this still work on the ships with rfid capable doors? Or have they removed this from the app? If you're currently sailing and it's still a thing can you take a picture of the section on your app with it? 

It was removed as far as I know..we had it on oasis Last February, but it was gone when we went again in October. And I know it's not even available on Icon at all

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

It was removed as far as I know..we had it on oasis Last February, but it was gone when we went again in October. And I know it's not even available on Icon at all

Hmmm I wonder why they would remove it since WoW bands are still a thing and its using the same basic tech.

I kinda wish someone on a ship right now can confirm. 

7 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

Hmmm I wonder why they would remove it since WoW bands are still a thing and its using the same basic tech.

I kinda wish someone on a ship right now can confirm. 

As far as I know, Anthem never had the phone unlock capability even though they have Wow bands.

They had phone unlock on Oasis on my Oct 2021 cruise but it worked intermittently.  Of course it didn't work when I left me SeaPass in my stateroom.

P.S.  I would help if you mentioned the ship(s) that you plan to sail on.

Edited by Another_Critic

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Personally I wish Royal would invest the  time and money on improving the food as they do on this unnecessary technology.

The food is fine, people want convenience and cool experiences.... I'd rather they spent the money on the new elevator systems and things like the "medalion" where it will track you anywhere on the ship, unlock doors, order drinks and have food delivered to you where ever you are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

As far as I know, Anthem never had the phone unlock capability even though they have Wow bands.

They had phone unlock on Oasis on my Oct 2021 cruise but it worked intermittently.  Of course it didn't work when I left me SeaPass in my stateroom.

P.S.  I would help if you mentioned the ship(s) that you plan to sail on.

My question isn't about a specific ship as much as it is about the fleet. A few years ago royal made a big deal about it when talking about the functionality of the app and it seems weird to drop it

8 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

The food is fine, people want convenience and cool experiences.... I'd rather they spent the money on the new elevator systems and things like the "medalion" where it will track you anywhere on the ship, unlock doors, order drinks and have food delivered to you where ever you are. 

None of those party tricks are even remotely interesting to me.  

And I don't want to have to carry my phone around.  A key card is easy to tuck into your pocket ... though I have found a lost card on just about every cruise, so maybe it's not easy for everyone. 

• Like 1

The food is fine, people want convenience and cool experiences.... 

You and I will not agree on this one.  I just got through with 45 days on the Vision and Anthem. The food was still a problem on the Vision (exactly a year after I sailed when the menu changes occured), and the Anthem was much better quality.  I did notice the variety in the Windjammer had been reduced on the Anthem, too.

I'd love to have this feature working as I always have phone with me, but my card often stays with my husband as he brings drinks. I also sometimes forget my card when go to gym early in the morning from our dark room.

Royal has made a point of publicly putting down wearable technology. They made a point of saying the app is where it’s at.   To do a 180 and embrace a medallion type wearable technology probably isn’t gonna happen and would require a massive investment in technology that isn’t present today.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Personally I wish Royal would invest the  time and money on improving the food as they do on this unnecessary technology.

🤣 Tell me you're a Boomer without telling me you're a Boomer.

BTW, I'm a boomer who enjoys using new technology.

Edited by klfrodo

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Two different things. Also ... improving the food is much more expensive. Catering gourmet food to 6000 people is very difficult. Luxury lines are luxury, because catering to smaller crowds and to multiple thousands are not the same. And they are much more expensive.

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Agreed.  And the sad thing is, they aren't even very good with the technology.