Are the facials and massages worth the money

F15 wife

My last massage on the Ascent for some reason was shorted time from what I paid for. By the time I realized she was already trying to sell me stuff. The massages I've had have generally been good but my relaxation ends when I realize I should have had a longer massage and I'm being sold oil for my tension.

45 minutes ago, maren91 said:

My last massage on the Ascent for some reason was shorted time from what I paid for. By the time I realized she was already trying to sell me stuff. The massages I've had have generally been good but my relaxation ends when I realize I should have had a longer massage and I'm being sold oil for my tension.

Happened to me on Beyond recently, men’s facial on web shows 75 minutes, on board it was about 35 minutes. I discussed with the manager and she produced the price sheet showing all facials at 55 minutes. So after the 5 minute pre facial quiz and post facial upsell you end up with about 35 minutes of service.

Prices are comparable to very upscale shore side resort spas. Massages run closer to advertised time, but are still overpriced for what you get. Back when we had decent obc, the DW and I would book some services, now with little to no obc we will stick to our fav shoreside spas.

It comes to what is important to you in what you are looking for on your holiday/cruise and what your budget is.

edit: if you look at the fine print on the web services description it says 

‘on board times may be different’… or something to that effect. 

Cheers

Edited by Joker54

Like anything else purchased on the ship it is expensive, but oh, so worth it!  As far as the up-sale at the end, tell them there is a higher tip in it for them if they skip the up-sale!  Money talks!

Elvis

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

Like anything else purchased on the ship it is expensive, but oh, so worth it!  As far as the up-sale at the end, tell them there is a higher tip in it for them if they skip the up-sale!  Money talks!

Elvis

After reading all these posts I decided to cancel my massage on the beyond next month. Yes its expensive and the only time available was 3 pm on embarkation day. Plus as stated I don't get to pick the massage therapist. I had a fantastic massage on a Princess cruise last month but had also previously taken advantage of the samplers they offered in fact had 3 of them and chose the 1 I thought was best. If they offer a promo on a sea day I may take advantage.  I think the money can be put to better use and I don't have tons of OBC. 

7 minutes ago, George C said:

My wife likes them .

And that my friend is all the reason in the world to blow some cash on this. Put another way- whenever I’m vacillating over paying for something frivolous but fun-and I think spa treatments are in the mix-I use the deathbed test. Will I be on my deathbed and be saying “sure glad I didn’t get that Debbie that massage on Apex!” Not!

8 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

Elvis

Tried that multiple times. They're under more pressure from their employer than the promise of a tip would offset. It didn't work... so I no longer choose to use their service. To each their own.

7 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Tried that multiple times. They're under more pressure from their employer than the promise of a tip would offset. It didn't work... so I no longer choose to use their service. To each their own.

When I was on Princess last month I mentioned I had some knee arthritis. The girl immediately tried to sell me Elemis cooling gel saying it would help. 😆.  It was nice but I've seen it quite cheap at home. She did a great massage but I was surprised their training is only for a month so she said. 

Edited by drakes2
Spelling

35 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Crazy high prices! I pay less than half at home and then send to my heath plan and get 80% back. They won't cover out of Canada services

They are not RMT's but some as good or even better. I just cancelled mine refund was $258 CAD for 75 minutes and that was with a 15% discount. 

Gee..I am  clearly in the minority.

I look at cruising as a partial  spa get away..  and enjoy my visits very much

(usually massage and facial..sometimes refkexology) All are with pre booked price incl grats.  never get a hard sell and never had a bad treatment. I no longer tip extra,  or buy products b/c they add a svc charge to the cost..ugh!

I buy Elemis  products on line or locally in stores..I do like the " Instant Refreshing Gel"  for neck and shoulders!

Important..  I  confirm my  bookings and prices in advance and have them initial my sheet! Avoids  issues!

Another  tip is:   if you get the KERASTASE  hair treatment on E Class,  you can just book the treatment and do your own blow dry.. Adding it at the Salon is VERY  pricey!

• Thanks 1