When can board and when can access stateroom?

lorri111

2 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

What's the story now there are no set boarding times, what is the earliest you can usually board? And also, when are cabins available to at least drop off hand luggage?

We're usually on around 10:30 AM and can access cabins at 1:00 PM.  

I usually slide luggage under bed immediately after boarding then head off to MDR for lunch. View muster drill while eating, check in at muster station, and then back to stateroom to unpack

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We're usually on around 10:30 AM and can access cabins at 1:00 PM.  

Can't access earlier just to drop off bag? and if you can't access room immediately when do you know it is available? (I'm trying to avoid carrying bags to lunch)

Edited by lorri111

7 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

What's the story now there are no set boarding times, what is the earliest you can usually board? And also, when are cabins available to at least drop off hand luggage?

Are you boarding in SYD?

Those who have boarded recently in SYD may chime in.  I haven’t boarded there recently.

As far as a boarding window, it is supposed to show up in the new App about 11 days before sailing.  Like this one below:

image.thumb.png.4625e479f0ae8cf938ae1a3eaad83187.png

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Are you boarding in SYD?

Those who have boarded recently in SYD may chime in.  I haven’t boarded there recently.

As far as a boarding window, it is supposed to show up in the new App about 11 days before sailing.  Like this one below:

image.thumb.png.4625e479f0ae8cf938ae1a3eaad83187.png

Yep, boarding in SYD on Royal. How definite is that boarding window, can you usually board earlier?

2 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

Yep, boarding in SYD on Royal. How definite is that boarding window, can you usually board earlier?

We always get to the port early and get on earlier than they list.

But, I don’t know how strict SYD is with boarding.

Someone that’s boarded SYD should answer.  Also, when the rooms are ready.  Usually from 1-130pm.  We drop off our carryon bags to the cabin snd go do lunch.

There’s also an Australia/New Zealand Forum, you May ask those questions.

Here’s a link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

Usually enter terminal between 10 and 10:30 and on ship after 11.  Depends on ship readiness.

thanks for the info - we are boarding Crown Princess in December at Sydney OPT

we're having a discussion about when best to embark.... I want to get to the OPT about 10:30-11am and get on the ship as soon as possible before the crowds, but wife said there'd be huge queues then and it's best to get there about 1pm once the queues have 'died down'  - but I'd like to be on the ship by then having something to eat / drink....

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

thanks for the info - we are boarding Crown Princess in December at Sydney OPT

we're having a discussion about when best to embark.... I want to get to the OPT about 10:30-11am and get on the ship as soon as possible before the crowds, but wife said there'd be huge queues then and it's best to get there about 1pm once the queues have 'died down'  - but I'd like to be on the ship by then having something to eat / drink....

Personally I do not like standing in lines. I can eat a late breakfast or early lunch on land and then stroll at my own pace right on to the ship.  I will have many days to eat and drink on board

31 minutes ago, memoak said:

Personally I do not like standing in lines. I can eat a late breakfast or early lunch on land and then stroll at my own pace right on to the ship.  I will have many days to eat and drink on board

When you only have 2 nights on board as we do this time, you want to maximise time on board ship, so will be looking to get on asap!

1 minute ago, lorri111 said:

When you only have 2 nights on board as we do this time, you want to maximise time on board ship, so will be looking to get on asap!

I would only take a 2 night cruise if it was part of a series of cruises. We never book less than 10 days

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

I would only take a 2 night cruise if it was part of a series of cruises. We never book less than 10 days

Yep, us too in the past, but no we have no one to look after our farm animals and pets now so are restricted to absences of only 2 nights . We are just pleased they have come up with short Aust cruises so we can get back into it!

• Like 1

Last April we arrived at the OPT around 11 am and walked right onto the Coral Princess and it was one of the final cruises that required covid tests which I thought might slow things down.  It is a smaller ship than the Crown and there were no lines at all.  In fact some of the staff were standing around looking rather bored. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

Last April we arrived at the OPT around 11 am and walked right onto the Coral Princess and it was one of the final cruises that required covid tests which I thought might slow things down.  It is a smaller ship than the Crown and there were no lines at all.  In fact some of the staff were standing around looking rather bored. 

Thanks for that, fingers crossed!

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, memoak said:

We generally never book more than 10 days!

Longest cruise I have been on is 14 days and that was a bit too long for us. By 10 or 11 days we are longing to go home! That doesn't imply that we are not enjoying the cruise, just that we miss our home, dog, family etc. We feel the same with land-based trips too.