Sun Princess Buffet

I would think that the service would be quite a bit faster.

In addition to the time some people take to make up their minds about what they want, there is the time they take to serve themselves so, by simply, just telling the staff what you want and havu the crew member serve it already plated would eliminate that.

I'll be on The Sun next month and this is one thing I'm looking forward to.

1 hour ago, Nikonguy1961 said:

I would think that the service would be quite a bit faster.

Just as long as they have sufficient crew at each station. 

From what I've noticed on other ships, they don't. Especially on the one day when they had numerous cake desserts on the last day. They had only a few servers stationed at maybe 10 cakes with 2 dozen people waiting in line. 

2 hours ago, 555 said:

Just as long as they have sufficient crew at each station. 

From what I've noticed on other ships, they don't. Especially on the one day when they had numerous cake desserts on the last day. They had only a few servers stationed at maybe 10 cakes with 2 dozen people waiting in line. 

I hope you didn't starve waiting so long to be served 😉

2 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I hope you didn't starve waiting so long to be served 😉

No but waiting 25 minutes to get a few pieces of cake was hardly worth the time.

Posted (edited)

Having just been on the Sky, which is mainly self-serve but does have a rotating action station, this was the best of both worlds. I would go to the action station, place my order, and then I would go gather up all of the self-serve food, and by the time I was done, the action item was usually ready.

That alone shows you how much faster self-serve is that I could fill one or two plates of food on my own in the time it takes for one item to be prepped for me. Yes, I know that the Sun has already available items that they just hand to you, but it still begs the issue of how do you carry all of those little bowls and plates to your table at once?? I had this issue with a few grab and go small plates on the Sky. It would have been much easier for me to put two deviled eggs onto my plate than have two small plates with one on each of them in addition to my regular plate.

My stance is that the hybrid is ideal. Have mainly self-serve, and offer a daily rotating action station like the Sky does.

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

After the restart, the buffets on allnships was no self served, it worked quite well, yoh had one single crew member that's served you throughout the buffet service

Just now, antsp said:

After the restart, the buffets on allnships was no self served, it worked quite well, yoh had one single crew member that's served you throughout the buffet service

We had no issues with that type of buffet serving.   It worked well for us.   Wished it had continued.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, antsp said:

It only went well because the ships then were at 30 to 50% of the passenger capacity.

On Celebrity they had crew at the buffet stations. The biggest issue I had was at the salad station. Nothing harder than trying to explain how and what you want on your salad. That station was always backed up and I usually just went for the Caesar so I didn’t have to go through the hand motions.  Salads are a very personal item. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 7:44 AM, LAS!!1414 said:

Eatery Question;

Breakfast -- Is Oatmeal available ??

Lunch/Dinner -- Is Soup available ??

May vary from ship to ship and the itinerary. On our most recent, Congee, or Jook, Porridge, whatever you prefer to call it, was every morning, but taste varied, maybe just the person assigned to the job. Definitely leans to the Asian style regarding available additions. You could also get either oatmeal one day or Cream of Wheat the next.

Lunch and dinner, yes to both.

Edited by mtnesterz