Sun Princess Buffet

Am I seeing this correctly that the buffet on the Sun is not self-serve?? So you could end up with 10 small bowls and plates to somehow transport to your table?? And have a long line to get food at each themed station?? 

I really hope I’m wrong!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

And have a long line to get food at each themed station?? 

I really hope I’m wrong!

The buffets I've visited in Las Vegas with individually dished portions actually move faster than traditional buffets.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Am I seeing this correctly that the buffet on the Sun is not self-serve?? So you could end up with 10 small bowls and plates to somehow transport to your table?? And have a long line to get food at each themed station?? 

I really hope I’m wrong!

That's what we all did in 2021!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Afriendtoallanimals said:

I would rather have ready plated food or served to us by staff than wondering if the person before me washed their hands before handling service utensils. 😉

We never eat in the buffet for this very reason.  Extremely high risk of germ cross contamination.  However, if it’s not self serve, then I would possibly reconsider.  

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We never eat in the buffet for this very reason.  Extremely high risk of germ cross contamination.  However, if it’s not self serve, then I would possibly reconsider.  

Ditto...

• Like 6

I hope the crew are serving in the buffet.  That is what HAL does and it works great.  I like the idea that I don't have to worry that the person ahead of me hasn't washed their hands after using the bathroom.  Or that they licked their fingers and then touched the serving utensils. 

So when I saw the pictures of staff serving I was happy.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 555 said:

For those that don't eat at the buffet on port days the only option seems to be one of the casual restaurants or IC. 

On port days on Grand class ships I have not seen any casual venues (Vines and Salty Dog open for lunch). We usually have lunch on shore but on those ports without good lunch options we will grab burgers on the Lido or last resort the buffet

20 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I really hope I’m wrong!

So do I.

A buffet is self serve....what they have now is a cafe. And yes, it makes the queues longer.
When people are saying "some of that please. No...a bit more. A bit less. Thanks"
Lots of wasted food too

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LittleTinker said:

So do I.

A buffet is self serve....what they have now is a cafe. And yes, it makes the queues longer.
When people are saying "some of that please. No...a bit more. A bit less. Thanks"
Lots of wasted food too

Actually, I think that you have much more wasted food with self serve.  We’ve all see those folks who pile their plates high with everything imaginable, take a few bites of each item then leave.  The wastage is horrendous.  If someone else is handing you food, you will tend to downsize and choose only what you really want.  Also, you’ll not be taking the other guy’s germs from the serving spoon back to your table.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, I think that you have much more wasted food with self serve.  We’ve all see those folks who pile their plates high with everything imaginable, take a few bites of each item then leave.  The wastage is horrendous.  If someone else is handing you food, you will tend to downsize and choose only what you really want.  Also, you’ll not be taking the other guy’s germs from the serving spoon back to your table.

Ha! What you described is my WORST nightmare

• Like 3

When we were switched from self serve to "crew serve" on Grand Princess it effectively ended my wife's salads. She has no interest in trying to get some crew member to laboriously (and erroneously) build her salad.

• Like 6

I am extremely germ conscious, but I do love buffets. I wash my hands before dishing and then again before eating. Yes, I am absolutely disgusted and horrified by the unhygienic behavior of others, so this new concept helps with that, but it really does detract from the buffet concept.

On the Enchanted, they had a gourmet salad bar concept like what the Sun appears to be doing. I had to wait every time, either for the server to return or for the people in front of me to tell the server ingredient by ingredient, which was a painfully long and slow process. In addition, I’d say just a little of each item, and what would result was a gigantic salad, way more than I could eat for a side salad. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

When we were switched from self serve to "crew serve" on Grand Princess it effectively ended my wife's salads. She has no interest in trying to get some crew member to laboriously (and erroneously) build her salad.

I am very salad particular.  On HAL there has not been self serve in a long time.  I take my time when instructing them how my salad should be made.  The were very patient and helpful and built my salad exactly as I would myself.  Loved it!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I am extremely germ conscious, but I do love buffets. I wash my hands before dishing and then again before eating. Yes, I am absolutely disgusted and horrified by the unhygienic behavior of others, so this new concept helps with that, but it really does detract from the buffet concept.

On the Enchanted, they had a gourmet salad bar concept like what the Sun appears to be doing. I had to wait every time, either for the server to return or for the people in front of me to tell the server ingredient by ingredient, which was a painfully long and slow process. In addition, I’d say just a little of each item, and what would result was a gigantic salad, way more than I could eat for a side salad. 

Then you just need to correct them with, “Sorry, but I prefer a small size, so give me half of what you would normally make”.  The servers want to please you and will go out of their way to make sure you’re satisfied.

• Like 3