Sun Princess Buffet

13 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I am very salad particular.  On HAL there has not been self serve in a long time.  I take my time when instructing them how my salad should be made.  The were very patient and helpful and built my salad exactly as I would myself.  Loved it!

10 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Then you just need to correct them with, “Sorry, but I prefer a small size, so give me half of what you would normally make”.  The servers want to please you and will go out of their way to make sure you’re satisfied.

I took my first HAL cruise in November and loved how they serve in The Lido Market.  As you said, they are willing to go out of their way to ensure you have what you want.  I look forward to this change on Princess when I cruise the Star in 2026.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, I think that you have much more wasted food with self serve.  We’ve all see those folks who pile their plates high with everything imaginable, take a few bites of each item then leave.  The wastage is horrendous.  If someone else is handing you food, you will tend to downsize and choose only what you really want.  Also, you’ll not be taking the other guy’s germs from the serving spoon back to your table.

I have found the opposite.  When using Princess' self-serve buffets, I like to take small amounts of a wide variety of things.  When using the HAL crew-served buffets, I always end up with portions that are way too big, despite asking for very small amounts.  I also find the crew-served buffets take a lot more time to get your food.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

I have found the opposite.  When using Princess' self-serve buffets, I like to take small amounts of a wide variety of things.  When using the HAL crew-served buffets, I always end up with portions that are way too big, despite asking for very small amounts.  I also find the crew-served buffets take a lot more time to get your food.

You are certainly in the minority.  I’ve many times seen plates so filled they could feed a small country and then over 50% left on the table.  You have to tell them if it’s too much!   I never have a problem and I’m a very small eater.  Yes, you’re right it does take a bit longer, but I’m really not in any hurry.  I’ve never eaten at a buffet on Princess and won’t if it’s self serve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I am extremely germ conscious, but I do love buffets. I wash my hands before dishing and then again before eating. Yes, I am absolutely disgusted and horrified by the unhygienic behavior of others, so this new concept helps with that, but it really does detract from the buffet concept.

On the Enchanted, they had a gourmet salad bar concept like what the Sun appears to be doing. I had to wait every time, either for the server to return or for the people in front of me to tell the server ingredient by ingredient, which was a painfully long and slow process. In addition, I’d say just a little of each item, and what would result was a gigantic salad, way more than I could eat for a side salad. 

No longer in the buffet at all. It is make your own.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

You are certainly in the minority.  I’ve many times seen plates so filled they could feed a small country and then over 50% left on the table.  You have to tell them if it’s too much!   I never have a problem and I’m a very small eater.  Yes, you’re right it does take a bit longer, but I’m really not in any hurry.  I’ve never eaten at a buffet on Princess and won’t if it’s self serve.

So once they put too much of an item on your plate do you tell them to remove the excess?

Also how does crew serving prevent people from taking a single bite of an item and then not eating the rest?

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 555 said:

For those that don't eat at the buffet on port days the only option seems to be one of the casual restaurants or IC. 

On port days, we almost all ways have lunch in port.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Potstech said:

So once they put too much of an item on your plate do you tell them to remove the excess?

Also how does crew serving prevent people from taking a single bite of an item and then not eating the rest?

You are really overthinking this.  When the server grabs lettuce or whatever you ask for and it’s too much just tell them before they toss it into the bowl.  Most servers will take a portion of each ingredient and ask if it’s okay.  Obviously, nobody can monitor how much people will eat.  However, if you only take 50% of what you normally would pile on your plate, then there will be less waste.  This is only a salad or whatever, not rocket science.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Much could possibly change over the next two years.

Of course it could and I'm sure many things will.  Either way, I look forward to sailing on Princess again in two years.

I always emphasize a small amount, and it never happens. It’s so much better and faster for me to use tongs or a spoon to grab one tiny amount for a few bites and move on to the next item in the blink of an eye. 

I have been cruising for 34 years; I know crew aim to serve. They just can’t imagine one wanting “that” small of an amount with the stereotype of cruisers.

The point is that a buffet allows one to choose his/her exact amounts and in a quick timeframe. The new design on the Sun accomplishes neither IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I always emphasize a small amount, and it never happens. It’s so much better and faster for me to use tongs or a spoon to grab one tiny amount for a few bites and move on to the next item in the blink of an eye. 

I have been cruising for 34 years; I know crew aim to serve. They just can’t imagine one wanting “that” small of an amount with the stereotype of cruisers.

The point is that a buffet allows one to choose his/her exact amounts and in a quick timeframe. The new design on the Sun accomplishes neither IMO.

I’ve never had that problem.  They always seem so eager to give me just enough and are quite pleased when I tell them what a beautiful salad they made for me.  Perhaps this works so well on HAL because the crew are trained differently.  I’ve never eaten in a Princess buffet because of the handling of utensils by many passengers and other unsanitary practices.  If they switch permanently to servers instead of self serve, I’d be willing to see how it goes.

59 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’ve never had that problem.  They always seem so eager to give me just enough and are quite pleased when I tell them what a beautiful salad they made for me.  Perhaps this works so well on HAL because the crew are trained differently.  I’ve never eaten in a Princess buffet because of the handling of utensils by many passengers and other unsanitary practices.  If they switch permanently to servers instead of self serve, I’d be willing to see how it goes.

We never eat in the buffet either because it just looks so unsanitary with so many strangers touching so many serving utensils, dishes, and using their fingers to sometimes pick up food off of display trays.  Not to mention the occasional cougher of sneezer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I ask for "just one please" and they stick 2 or 3 on my plate. It's annoying as I don't want that much and don't like to waste the "extra" that they seem to insist on putting on my plate. It's frustrating. like @cruisequeen4ever says, they just don't seem to believe that someone on a cruise doesn't eat like a pig. We did 63 days straight on Grand Princess last year and I didn't gain a single pound but it was only because I didn't eat everything they insisted on putting on my plate  in the buffet and didn't insist on cleaning the plate in MDR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Same. One of the great joys of traveling is getting to experience the different types of food and drinks served in the places you visit. We log as much time in all of our ports as possible and always make a point to try to have one meal while in port.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Count us in, too!  Especially the European ports  (we don’t do Caribbean itineraries anymore).  We ate pizza in a lovely  restaurant overlooking the Colosseum in Rome.  Ate a beautiful spread of food and wine in Tuscany.  Fresh caught fish in Lisbon and paella in Barcelona.  And on and on.  Much, much more exciting than a buffet on a ship.  You eat lunch and make precious memories.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I ask for "just one please" and they stick 2 or 3 on my plate. It's annoying as I don't want that much and don't like to waste the "extra" that they seem to insist on putting on my plate. It's frustrating. like @cruisequeen4ever says, they just don't seem to believe that someone on a cruise doesn't eat like a pig. We did 63 days straight on Grand Princess last year and I didn't gain a single pound but it was only because I didn't eat everything they insisted on putting on my plate  in the buffet and didn't insist on cleaning the plate in MDR.

Im a bariatric patient. I come across this a lot because I eat very small quantities. I get uncomfortable sometimes in restaurants because I inevitably get the "didn't you like it" from the waiters. Its one of the reasons Iike the buffet and like to choose my own serving.

• Like 3

When I first started reading about plated food in the buffet, I was thinking that they would have plates/bowls already made up for you to choose.     Survived crew serving during a long outbreak  of Noro last fall on the Grand but was always glad to get back to self serve.  Two chicken tenders (size I like) and about 12 french fries were what I wanted. Never got the tenders I wanted unless I kept saying - No not that one, go over a bit, just a little bit more.  When asking for a small portion  , it would never come close to the amount I  would take.   Don't eat salads while cruising. Guess I can overlook being served too much food when I don't have to cook it or clean up the mess. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I am extremely germ conscious, but I do love buffets. I wash my hands before dishing and then again before eating. Yes, I am absolutely disgusted and horrified by the unhygienic behavior of others, so this new concept helps with that, but it really does detract from the buffet concept.

On the Enchanted, they had a gourmet salad bar concept like what the Sun appears to be doing. I had to wait every time, either for the server to return or for the people in front of me to tell the server ingredient by ingredient, which was a painfully long and slow process. In addition, I’d say just a little of each item, and what would result was a gigantic salad, way more than I could eat for a side salad. 

All I can say is if your standing behind my wife you might as well move on to another station. I can guarantee she'll take over 5 minutes to tailor salad to her exact specifications.

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

They don't care how much you throw away. They see it every day and it's probably the least costly item on the ship. 

8 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

You are really overthinking this.  When the server grabs lettuce or whatever you ask for and it’s too much just tell them before they toss it into the bowl.  Most servers will take a portion of each ingredient and ask if it’s okay.  Obviously, nobody can monitor how much people will eat.  However, if you only take 50% of what you normally would pile on your plate, then there will be less waste.  This is only a salad or whatever, not rocket science.

Not over thinking a thing. Just some experience during Covid restrictions. So I might take 50% but that does not apply to many others. Not salad but maybe meat, potatoes, french fries and lots of other food in the buffett.

• Like 1

We eat most of our meals in the buffet or casual dining, etc anymore because of how long service takes in the MDR.  We arent' interested currently in the 2 hour dinner.  We like to be done in 30 minutes and then move on to something else.  In the MDR there are people still handling you food, several of them in fact, but I think overall I did prefer right after covid when they were dishing out to your specs.  Seemed more overall sanitary.

On the Sky in December, the ice dispensers in the buffet were not working consistently at all, to the point they were putting ice in trays and it was self serve to get your ice.  Saw many adults and children reaching in either with hands and grabbing ice, or dipping their cups into the ice instead of using the tongs.  I complained to servers, nothing got fixed.  If a server was getting ice for your table, he was getting it from the same place.  I now bring my own ice and drink to the buffet if the dispenser is broken.

59 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We eat most of our meals in the buffet or casual dining, etc anymore because of how long service takes in the MDR.  We arent' interested currently in the 2 hour dinner.  We like to be done in 30 minutes and then move on to something else.  In the MDR there are people still handling you food, several of them in fact, but I think overall I did prefer right after covid when they were dishing out to your specs.  Seemed more overall sanitary.

On the Sky in December, the ice dispensers in the buffet were not working consistently at all, to the point they were putting ice in trays and it was self serve to get your ice.  Saw many adults and children reaching in either with hands and grabbing ice, or dipping their cups into the ice instead of using the tongs.  I complained to servers, nothing got fixed.  If a server was getting ice for your table, he was getting it from the same place.  I now bring my own ice and drink to the buffet if the dispenser is broken.

I dislike open containers if ice. Just as you say, people don't realize what they're doing when reaching in. 

• Like 1