Haven lobsters

Pappy1258

i don't remember what my comment was in the deleted thread. probably something about lobsters.

my new perspective:

i guess NCL felt like they were shelling out too much money.

it's also possible they are just channeling mary poppins... the haven may be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, but those small lobsters are something quite atrocious.

even so, my haven waiter still offers unlimited lobster tales. unfortunately, they all begin something like this..."once upon a time, there was a lobster..."

thanks, kids.  i'll be here all week. remember to tip your waitress, enjoy the veal.

13 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

After I did what I very rarely do. It's almost as rare as me canceling the onboard service charge (which I literally have never done, y'all). A couple of posters were just....well....you know. 

Well, I don't know what you did! Slam 8 lobsters? Throw a dozen in you backpack? What did you do to cause this disaster!?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I'm annoyed enough that on my next cruise I will blatantly abuse absolutely everything.... except the lobster tail.  Clearly they only consider multiple lobsters to be excessive.  Since that's the only charge for additional food in the Haven, I will be eating a full cow's worth of filet.  Surf and turf and turf and turf and turf and turf and turf and turf?  Yes please!

Except the breakfast filet has been swapped for lesser grade about 1.5 years ago.

I did have turf and turf on Prima for dinner October 2022 for dinner and it was good.  No waste other than maybe some veggies.  The deviled eggs for dinner were also good.  Saw one guy who ordered a plate full for app at lunch a few days.  

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Except the breakfast filet has been swapped for lesser grade about 1.5 years ago.

My husband and son had the filet with breakfast on the Epic last year a few times.   We (I) just had to put in the request the night before.    

15 hours ago, david_sobe said:

While I think its reasonable to charge money for more lobster, I dont believe for a second that top shelf liquor and lobster charges have anything to do with customers trying to bilk NCL.  Its all a way to make bigger profits. 

It's a well known phenomena that, given a choice, people will gravitate to the highest quality products when prices are comparable.  Why wouldn't passengers 'bilk' NCL by drinking the most expensive liquors when all the liquors are the same price, ie, covered by the beverage package.  That results in the non-availability of expensive champagnes and scotches.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:56 PM, FPMoosally said:

Well, I don't know what you did! Slam 8 lobsters? Throw a dozen in you backpack? What did you do to cause this disaster!?

I tried to do lobster shooters last time I was in the Haven but was told no. 

• Haha 1

If you have a cruise stopping in Bar Harbor you can get much better lobster there...... Oh wait, stopping in Bar Harbor might very well be off the table now

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 1:49 PM, azappraiser said:

Because several people abused the privilege, NCL took notice & changed the rules... same thing that happened with some of the ultra-premium liquors that are suspiciously no longer on board...

RIP veuve-by-the-glass

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Pitzel said:

Wow...it looks like the extra charge for additional lobster tails may have been removed! The latest online Haven menu (with filename dated yesterday) no longer mentions the charge.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Fleet_Haven-Dinner_Mobile-Menu_040524.pdf

I was wondering if they'll change to charging for more than 2. Since you can order surf and surf (for less than surf and turf...) on both Cagneys and MDR, it seems more consistent to allow a  haven guest to have surf n surf. It's just the "n surf n surf nsurf" that's an issue lolol

We were on the Getaway about a month ago.  I noticed the Haven menu didn't mention the upcharge for the lobster.  When I asked about changing the turf for surf the waiter then said that there was an extra charge.  I hope you're right and they did away with the extra charge, but I wouldn't count on it just because it isn't showing on the menu.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, goldmom said:

We were on the Getaway about a month ago.  I noticed the Haven menu didn't mention the upcharge for the lobster.  When I asked about changing the turf for surf the waiter then said that there was an extra charge.  I hope you're right and they did away with the extra charge, but I wouldn't count on it just because it isn't showing on the menu.

Sounds confusing.   I would  rather  they just post it on the menu so the server doesn't have  to explain.   

I like a crabcake and lobster  tail.  Will they have to call that an upcharge?  Doesn't make  sense to me.

56 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Sounds confusing.   I would  rather  they just post it on the menu so the server doesn't have  to explain.   

I like a crabcake and lobster  tail.  Will they have to call that an upcharge?  Doesn't make  sense to me.

Who knows.  You could probably get the crab cake.  The whole thing is just really ridiculous.  And, not having it printed on the menu puts the poor staff in the position of having to tell the passenger.  Hopefully they will revisit this and remove the upcharge or at least limit passengers to say 2 lobster tails.  We'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

It was on the menu briefly, which is where a lot of this chatter originated. I agree with you, though -- if it is a change in policy and there is, indeed, a charge for a second or subsequent lobster tail, I would greatly prefer that they just say so on the menu.

Though, if you are traveling with others who don't love lobster, what is to stop them from ordering a complimentary lobster tail and then sliding it across the table to you?

• Like 2

In early March, during our Getaway cruise, the Haven policy of one lobster tail per person was in place. My husband requested two (no turf) and was informed of the additional charge for the second. No big deal, I requested a lobster tail for myself. I stated that I would be giving it to my hubby. The waiter chuckled and brought out the extra lobster tail on his plate - no extra charge. 🙂 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, cruisin4familyfun said:

In early March, during our Getaway cruise, the Haven policy of one lobster tail per person was in place. My husband requested two (no turf) and was informed of the additional charge for the second. No big deal, I requested a lobster tail for myself. I stated that I would be giving it to my hubby. The waiter chuckled and brought out the extra lobster tail on his plate - no extra charge. 🙂 

Our waiter on the Getaway actually suggested doing that.  But it's still really silly as then the filet wasn't eaten, so there was more food waste.  Hopefully they figure out a better way.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cruisin4familyfun said:

Perfect!

I bet  your  server loved that soluion😊

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:11 AM, cruiseny4life said:

After I did what I very rarely do. It's almost as rare as me canceling the onboard service charge (which I literally have never done, y'all). A couple of posters were just....well....you know. 

Woe is me for the lobster. I'll just order more shrimp. The lobster kind of served as a somewhat (not much) larger shrimp to me, anyhow. I'll order some clarified butter and have poor man's lobster. Oh, those crustaceans! 

Literally?  WOW!  🙂

• Haha 1

On 2/29/2024 at 5:36 PM, david_sobe said:

What privilege?  I think people who run to the corner to defend NCL at every turn is a bit much.  While I think its reasonable to charge money for more lobster, I dont believe for a second that top shelf liquor and lobster charges have anything to do with customers trying to bilk NCL.  Its all a way to make bigger profits. 

Sort of reminds me of when NCL announced no more towel animals because of "environmental reasons" or not bringing food to the cabin for "safety reasons."   But many believe that. 
Its all enhancing the guest experience of course!

As far as those silly towel animals go, do the math and see how much money and how many man hours were wasted on them.  If it takes just one minute to make each animal, on a ship such as the Encore that has over 2000 cabins, they are spending over 450 HOURS per 7-day  cruise making those dumb things.  On an annual basis that is over 11 FTEs.  A total waste of resources.  That is not defending NCL, it is a srarement of fact.

• Like 1