Transatlantic Novice Looking for Advice/Recommendations

Robkat

After close to 100 cruises, we finally pulled the trigger and we've got our first transatlantic coming up in November this year!  
It is a westbound, and so, wondering whether we might prefer an eastbound, we also booked one of those for April next year.  
We are very excited for these new experiences, but along with that excitement comes some questions, so I'm hoping those of you experienced in transatlantics won't mind sharing your answers/suggestions or recommendations.

For the first of the TA's, we're flying to Rome. 

So, right off the bat, in thinking about preparing for packing:

1.  We bring a couple prescription meds, vitamins, supplements, regular first-aid kind of pills (ibuprofen, Rolaids, etc.) and cold/cough meds (in case). 
I usually count out the appropriate number of pills needed for the amount of time of the trip, and then re-package similar pills in small baggies.  
I'd read that someone said, that for international flights, everything must be in it's original bottle/packaging.  I'm hoping this isn't the case as it would mean having to bring/pack many bottles for the various pills.  
Could you explain how you transport these kinds of things ... not worried about getting on the ship, but for the flights and getting through international customs.

2.  Same sort of thing for various toiletries.  I usually put things like face moisturizers and other creams into smaller jars.  And then usually we carry on to the ships our toiletry bags (containing the jars) in our backpacks.  In the case of flying, we'll need to pack these in our checked luggage, so in not wanting to add weight to our luggage, what do you all do with these sorts of products to keep the extra weight down? (And this would include heavier products, like hair prods, that can't be transferred into smaller containers.)

3.  Any other pointers on packing for a longer cruise, especially to keep the weight down, with the flight up first before the cruise?  Not so much worried about clothing (we can figure that out), but thinking more about other "assorted and sundries".

4.  For anyone who has done a TA from Civitavecchia, will the MDR be open for lunch on embarkation day?  (If it matters, we'll be on Caribbean P.). Does the boarding process commence, as it usually does round 11am or so?

Thanks for any help or advice.  

Posted (edited)

We have done TA both ways. To our preference, westbound is better because you gain an hour every few days. Label it sleep time or play time, it's extra time.

Both directions, we hit some weather and rough seas, so in the first aid kit you mention, you might consider adding some antihistamines, generic for Benadryl as an example, if you can tolerate them, because the are good for seasickness, sleep aid, contact dermatitis, pain and itch resulting from sunburn...

Enjoy your cruises!

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3

If you like sea days, you'll love a TA, definitely a different vibe, it's more of a voyage than a cruise and everything is more relaxed and a bit slower. Lots of onboard activities and things that link together and last longer ie trivia and classes etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robkat said:
After close to 100 cruises, we finally pulled the trigger and we've got our first transatlantic coming up in November this year!  
It is a westbound, and so, wondering whether we might prefer an eastbound, we also booked one of those for April next year.  
We are very excited for these new experiences, but along with that excitement comes some questions, so I'm hoping those of you experienced in transatlantics won't mind sharing your answers/suggestions or recommendations.

1.  We bring a couple prescription meds, vitamins, supplements, regular first-aid kind of pills (ibuprofen, Rolaids, etc.) and cold/cough meds (in case). 
I usually count out the appropriate number of pills needed for the amount of time of the trip, and then re-package similar pills in small baggies.  
I'd read that someone said, that for international flights, everything must be in it's original bottle/packaging.  I'm hoping this isn't the case as it would mean having to bring/pack many bottles for the various pills.  
Could you explain how you transport these kinds of things ... not worried about getting on the ship, but for the flights and getting through international customs.

2.  Same sort of thing for various toiletries.  I usually put things like face moisturizers and other creams into smaller jars.  And then usually we carry on to the ships our toiletry bags (containing the jars) in our backpacks.  In the case of flying, we'll need to pack these in our checked luggage, so in not wanting to add weight to our luggage, what do you all do with these sorts of products to keep the extra weight down? (And this would include heavier products, like hair prods, that can't be transferred into smaller containers.)

3.  Any other pointers on packing for a longer cruise, especially to keep the weight down, with the flight up first before the cruise?  Not so much worried about clothing (we can figure that out), but thinking more about other "assorted and sundries".

4.  For anyone who has done a TA from Civitavecchia, will the MDR be open for lunch on embarkation day?  (If it matters, we'll be on Caribbean P.). Does the boarding process commence, as it usually does round 11am or so?

1. We have never had a problem and rarely if ever bring original bottles.

2. We have managed similar to you and never had weight issue.  We have a luggage weigher at home so we know where we stand and no surprises at the airport.

4. Doesn't matter ship nor port - always have DR for embarkation lunch.  11:00am is normal, give or take, these days.  Expect terminal doors to open by 10am.

Use EZ-Air to book your one-way flight and save a ton of money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robkat said:

I think we're on the same cruise--see you on the roll call?  Haven't had issues with the meds, but always take extra, just in case.  As for rough seas, we've found candied ginger to be very calming--always take some with us.   Actually. I recall the QM2 putting a plate of them out at dinner on an earlier trans-Atlantic.  Embarkation day lunch has become a regular tradition regardless of the itinerary.  Happy  travels!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antsp said:

If you like sea days, you'll love a TA, definitely a different vibe, it's more of a voyage than a cruise and everything is more relaxed and a bit slower. Lots of onboard activities and things that link together and last longer ie trivia and classes etc

We took our first TA last year - learned to relax and enjoy it and not treat it like a one week Caribbean cruise ( we learned to pace ourselves!).

Thanks so much everyone, for your replies.  All good info that we can use.  We're definitely looking forward to seeing whether we prefer eastbound or westbound!  

I guess our biggest concern is still arriving at an International airport with medications and assorted other vitamins and supplements.  Thanks to @Steelers36 for your feedback, but we see that you're on a self-imposed pause from cruising, so we're wondering about recent experiences.

Appreciate hearing any further responses!  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Robkat said:

Thanks so much everyone, for your replies.  All good info that we can use.  We're definitely looking forward to seeing whether we prefer eastbound or westbound!  

I guess our biggest concern is still arriving at an International airport with medications and assorted other vitamins and supplements.  Thanks to @Steelers36 for your feedback, but we see that you're on a self-imposed pause from cruising, so we're wondering about recent experiences.

It's only a little over a year ago we were cruising.  Flying is the same whether you are heading to a ship or elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robkat said:

We have had quite a few international trips during the past few years.  We have not had any issues with our meds, whether in the original bottles or not.  If not, just photo copy the label from the bottle and tape it to the baggie (or whatever you are using) you are using.  And, we always take a photo on our phones of the label on the original bottle.

Have a great trip!  🙂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Robkat said:

My pills are in the "old man" pill sorters that are sorted for every day. I also have them for every evening. We recently did 63 days on Grand Princess. I simply took the pill sorters - pre-filled - in my carry on luggage. For my "restricted" meds I took the actual bottle with the label. No issue and have never had an issue on any cruise.

Edit: I would have take the meds in my checked luggage but I don't trust my meds, my good watch, etc. in that luggage so it all goes in the small backpack I carry on.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Robkat said:

Enjoy your transatlantic.  We love them!

I'd advise extreme caution in respect of Q1.  Depending on what you are taking, you are likely crossing an international border with drugs / narcotics that are controlled in the destination country.  You probably won't be stopped / inspected on arrival by Customs, but you might be.  They will want to know what the drugs are and to confirm that you are entitled to have them.  The advice in the UK is to always travel with drugs in their original packaging and with a copy of the prescription for them / a letter from your doctor.  Personally, I'd do that with the over the counter / non-prescription drugs as well.  It might be obvious to you what they are and what they are for, but it won't necessarily be obvious to an Italian Customs officer.

If you do what you propose, you'll most likely be fine.  But, if you are not, and you can't convince the Customs officials as to the provenance of the drugs and your entitlement to them, they'll likely confiscate them and may take further action (and in some countries in the Middle East / Asia, those further actions can be dire).  Could you replace these drugs before sailing in Italy / could you sail without them?  If the answer is 'No', I'd recommend taking them in their original packaging - the inconvenience of doing that will likely outweigh the inconvenience caused by having the drugs removed on arrival, even if the likelihood of that happening is low.

• Like 3

I put my meds into the old man pill sorter too. I take my prescription receipts with me that identify the drug. I've never had a problem and don't think any older person would have a problem. The original container stuff is BS because you can put anything in that container.

I've done east and west TA days - like the west ones better.

If you enjoy sea days, you'll love the TAs.

• Like 1

Definitely take more days of meds than "number of days you are gone" just in case something happens.

I take original pill bottles when leaving the country. I don't want to risk anything.

• Like 3

All of this info has been so useful (even when answers have been contradictory! 😂) and we're now clearer how we'll handle things with pills/meds/vitamins, etc.  

Along slightly different lines, how do you all handle toiletries and make-up ... As I mentioned, I normally transfer creams, etc into smaller jars and put them in toilet bags, that we carry on in our backpacks.  Obviously, there would be additional "small jars and/or bottles" for a longer cruise, which we can't carry in the backpacks,which we bring on the plane with us.  Does anyone just leave all that stuff behind and purchase new stuff at your destination?  I mean, we normally have 4 good sized travel bags, and I'm can't help but worry about that extra weight in our checked luggage.  

In any case, would love to know how you all go about that aspect.

Again, this is such a great community with such a wealth of experience and info, and we're grateful to all of you who share your "learned from experience" knowledge!

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Robkat said:

All of this info has been so useful (even when answers have been contradictory! 😂) and we're now clearer how we'll handle things with pills/meds/vitamins, etc.  

Along slightly different lines, how do you all handle toiletries and make-up ... As I mentioned, I normally transfer creams, etc into smaller jars and put them in toilet bags, that we carry on in our backpacks.  Obviously, there would be additional "small jars and/or bottles" for a longer cruise, which we can't carry in the backpacks,which we bring on the plane with us.  Does anyone just leave all that stuff behind and purchase new stuff at your destination?  I mean, we normally have 4 good sized travel bags, and I'm can't help but worry about that extra weight in our checked luggage.  

In any case, would love to know how you all go about that aspect.

Again, this is such a great community with such a wealth of experience and info, and we're grateful to all of you who share your "learned from experience" knowledge!

I take full size lotion bottles and shampoo/conditioner bottles that are half used. It does take up space in full suitcase. I have put them in zip lock bag. I don't want to run out on a trip. If I need to make the luggage lighter on the way home, I can leave them behind.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

Not sure what other products you might use that couldn't be put into smaller containers or purchased in smaller sizes, but I have found that it isn't always easy to find and purchase the same products you use at home in foreign countries, even in Europe.  Plus, there is the language barrier - the packaging may look the same but oftentimes the ingredients are not so if you can't read Italian or Spanish or whatever.   So if these other products are ones you really need or want to have with you then I would take them however you must in your checked luggage, double bagged in ziplock baggies in case them leak due to the change in pressure when flying.

Transatlantics are wonderful, we've done multiple.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Robkat said:

1. I never bring original bottles because I'm only bringing a small portion (2-3 weeks) of the 180 day supply. Same for land based trips

2. Whats a hair prod? Is that something only guys use? For me: everything fits in a quart size zip lock bag

3. See above .... I travel in a 22" domestic carryon

4. Absolutely and my fastest check in ever. FWIW my transit from Hotel Smeraldo to the ship was €34. I found 2 others staying there on the roll call & we booked a shared transit as a group for 100€ / 3 = 34. Each paid individually 

We also have done TA's both ways and prefer westbound for added hours and shorter flight home.  As for the pills it has never been an issue for us to use small snack ziplocks for our meds and we take photos of each prescription and place the photo in each of the bags.

• Like 2

I think we might be in the same situation. Our first TA is to Rome in November also. I  booked another TA from Barcelona to Florida in February.  So, today I stated looking for advice and found this thread. I always take a homemade first aid kit. I do not wear makeup (I have makeup tattoos) lol!  Our hair products are in bar form (they work really well).  Since we limit ourselves to one carryon and 1backpack, we also limit our clothing to mostly Merino wool which can be worn multiple times between laundering. A great site is called Wool & Prince. I take a few silk scarves and jewelry to dress up with. Hope this helps!

TAs are really our favorite type of cruise.  Eastbound is very discombobulating because you have 4 or more consecutive 23-hour days.  That said, by the time you reach Europe, you've pretty much adjusted to the time difference. As others have said, westbound journeys give you an extra hour most days so that's nice as well.  As far as the sea itself is concerned, on our 4 TAs thus far, things have gotten a bit rocky from time to time, but we've not experienced anything in the truly rough seas realm.  (Don't get me started on sea conditions in the Mediterranean in January!  THAT was a nightmare!)

On another note, if time is not an issue, we've also found the cruise fare for a TA is often LESS than a flight home.  If we could make it work logistically, we'd just take a ship both ways next time we travel to Europe.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shiner6 said:

I think we might be in the same situation. Our first TA is to Rome in November also. I  booked another TA from Barcelona to Florida in February.  So, today I stated looking for advice and found this thread. I always take a homemade first aid kit. I do not wear makeup (I have makeup tattoos) lol!  Our hair products are in bar form (they work really well).  Since we limit ourselves to one carryon and 1backpack, we also limit our clothing to mostly Merino wool which can be worn multiple times between laundering. A great site is called Wool & Prince. I take a few silk scarves and jewelry to dress up with. Hope this helps!

I think you are on the same cruise as us, except a year earlier.  Rome to FLL on the New Statendam?

What ship are you on in February 2025?  

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Robkat said:

For those vitamins and supplements simply figure our the number of days you will be traveling and add 7 (things can happen).

My DW has some dozen medications.  We photograph each bottle with a pill with our phone.  Count out the needed pills and put one weeks pills in a container.   The rest we put in a zip lock baggie - bring a few extra always handy.

In some 50 overseas trips we have only once been asked to see the pictures of the prescription bottles.

Also remember there are stores in Rome.  Liquid items like hair spray, lotion we buy at our boarding city.  You seem to be overlapping a bit.

We also learned when on Princess to bring a baggie with a few laundry pods.  Do not like the detergent they sell.

Don't overpack.  With laundromat on board easy.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Thanks 1

I have good quality.small plastic travel bottles that I use to hold.my shampoo, conditioner, face products. I rarely wear makeup so I just take a small container (sometimes old contact lens cases) for foundation. I do take a full tube of toothpase that DH and I share. For deodorant I just take a regular size container, but.if.im doing carry on only you can just cut a small piece.of.stick Deodorant to.take. We do overboard on taking a small medicine store with us. Cold meds, anti inflammatory, Polysporin eye/ear drops, another diarrhea, gravol, hemorrhoid cream, antibiotic ointment, muscle pain ointments. It's ridiculous.  But there is nothing worse than being sick and not having your favorite remedy with you. Usually they all come home with us 😆 !

• Thanks 1

One modern option is to take photos of prescription bottle labels with one of the pills next to it.  I also take a quick photo of my ID and passport. Cell phones have certainly cut down on carrying paperwork. We did a west bound transatlantic in Oct 22 and are excited to do an east bound on Sky Princess in a few days. We enjoyed the sea days and were never bored. Have a great time.