Internet cafe

Do you have to pay extra to use the computers in the internet cafe on top of the wifi package price?  Would the internet cafe be a good place to conduct a Zoom meeting? Could you even get to Zoom on those machines?   Would others be disturbed by you talking to your computer? Is there much background noise in there?  Is it a busy place or relatively quiet?

Posted (edited)

I can speak to the Bliss, Joy and Escape - the internet cafe on those ships is part of the Atrium, a place that is not often quiet.  I would not try conducting a Zoom meeting there.  I'm not sure how good of video quality you'd have on the free minutes, you might need to have the streaming package to have a decent Zoom call.  You MIGHT be able to get audio-only to work, but you'd definitely want headphones with a microphone to make it easier to hear the other side.

Edited by hallux

They are not the best and you have no privacy.  Might not be able to get zoom to work but hard to say.

Pretty much any answer other than someone on the ship you are asking about will be speculation.

Please provide the ship you are asking about if you want a useful answer.

10 minutes ago, nw2this said:

Do you have to pay extra to use the computers in the internet cafe on top of the wifi package price?  Would the internet cafe be a good place to conduct a Zoom meeting? Could you even get to Zoom on those machines?   Would others be disturbed by you talking to your computer? Is there much background noise in there?  Is it a busy place or relatively quiet?

The internet cafe on NCL are the last place one would conduct face to face meetings...no privacy as often located right in the atrium and lots of cross traffic...with that traffic, you get loud events taking place right next to the internet cafe...might as well pay for the unlimited internet package and do it anywhere you please on the ship, even from your balcony...sounds like you might also benefit from the new Starlink access they have with satellite internet

Will have headphones with a mic, trying to use our included FAS minutes because they say Zoom should work without premium (https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages).   Was considering leaving the laptop at home if ship computers were a free option, but can't find any information about this online.  Also thought the connection might be better in the cafe.

This is the ship internet cafe:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/shiptour.php?r=6750

Those cubbies look nice and maybe private.  

4 minutes ago, nw2this said:

Will have headphones with a mic, trying to use our included FAS minutes because they say Zoom should work without premium (https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages).   Was considering leaving the laptop at home if ship computers were a free option, but can't find any information about this online.  Also thought the connection might be better in the cafe.

All ships have desktops except for the Prime & Viva. They are free to use other than using your internet minutes. Some are located near the atrium though and can be very noisy.

The machines onboard will be limited. You will most likely not be able to get to Zoom. In addition, there will be no place to plug your headset in. Think basic websurfing/email on them. If you need to Zoom, bring a laptop or tablet and do so in the privacy of your cabin.

1 hour ago, yakcruiser said:

All ships have desktops except for the Prime & Viva. They are free to use other than using your internet minutes. Some are located near the atrium though and can be very noisy.

Yup, I discovered that there were no computers when we sailed the Prima this past summer. I saw on the deck plans and assumed internet cafe meant there would be computers.

2 hours ago, nw2this said:

Why not just user your phone?  I zoom from my phone while cruising all the time. 

OP, no can't do is my advice to even "consider" using ship's free desktop terminal to Zoom, Skype or things like Facetime on the wireless connection(s) - it's not hardwired.  If you are on the Getaway, unless they recently upgraded to newer work stations or terminals, those Acer PC aren't that great, barebone minimum OS, stripped of nearly everything, and the default browser, no extensions & you can't edit or change any pre-set security settings or https "ports" etc.  Besides, it might freeze or become sluggish due to caching.  

On shorter cruises, I travel with a basic Chromebook and it's not tailored & customized to what I need and use, including Zoom sessions (for our monthly co-op board's open owner's meeting)  Longer cruises - I bring the Linux travel NB PC (Sony Vaio) running Ubuntu with Zoom enabled & updated to latest prior to embarkation ... since I can access more files/data stored offline on the SSD and/or save to it, and do editing, etc.    Otherwise, a basic Windows 10 home/pro laptop that's Zoom enabled is your best option or "bet"  

Reliable connectivity is not assured, of course.  As a backup, Fire HD tablet is the contingency and worst case - "use" DW's iPad Mini 5.  If that Zoom meeting is "critical" and/or important, best to see if you can plan & schedule it while in port or at least within range of land cellular signal.  

On 3/3/2024 at 4:31 AM, nw2this said:

Got it! Bring laptop. Take call in cabin. Hope for a good connection. 

My husband had Zooms which he took from our cabin using NCL's basic internet. He never had an issue. All of the calls were on Getaway. Once mid-ship, twice aft. Good luck!! 

• Like 1