Help me decide on a cruise

My husband and I are not technically first time cruisers, but certainly inexperienced cuisers. We've only been on one cruise. For our honeymoon in 2012, we took a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival. We had an inside cabin down in the bottom of the ship. The cabin was nice, larger than I thought it would be and quite comfortable, even without a view. We spent most of our time up on deck (mostly in the adults only area), or at port, anyway. We had a lot of fun, and both agreed that we would like to do another cruise on some point. Well, I think that some point has arrived.

I'd like to book a cruise for next winter. We live in New England, so one of the goals would be to escape the cold, dark winter and go somewhere sunny. A Caribbean cruise sounds delightful. I've been looking at what's available for next February/March, and I have things narrowed down to two itineraries, and two cruise lines. I'm lookingfor advice on both.

First, the cruise lines. I'm looking at either Norwegian or Celebrity. I'm leaning a little towards Celebrity. We're both on the introverted side. We like to do things and have fun, but less "Whoo! Party!". Celebrity seems a bit more refined. We are also in our upper 40's. On the other hand, I am the type of person that will go play on the waterslide, at least for a little while. And I won't say no to a round of mini-golf. Price-wise, Norwegian and celebrity seem to be about on par with each other. Norwegian seems to have larger ships, with the Norwegian Joy almost twice the capacity of the Celebrity Constellation (3,776 passengers vs 2184). I'm not sure how I feel about that many people.

Both cruise lines offer similar itineraries. The two I'm choosing between are Yucatan penninsula (Belize, Honduras, and Mexico) leaving from Florida (Miami or Tampa, depending on the cruise line) and southern Caribbean leaving from San Juan. Honestly, I'd be pretty happy with either one. The southern caribbean is a little more expensive, and there are more ports, so we'll probably spend more in shore excursions. 

I've already decided that this time around, we're getting a balcony. I'm considering splurging on an aft facing balcony. Are these worth the price? 

Honestly the best suggestion I would offer would be to talk with a live person travel agent and review your expectations, preferences, and budget with them as they are by profession in the best position to sort that out with you and recommend those cruise lines and itineraries that would be the best fit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PiSquared said:

First, the cruise lines. I'm looking at either Norwegian or Celebrity

We have never sailed NCL, in part due to their supersized ships,  so cannot comment on that line, but we were happy enough with Celebrity.

To me, an aft balcony is a necessity.  Once you've cruised in one, you're spoiled.  As for the need to pick between NCL and Celebrity ... you're smart to ask.  I book by 'ship', itinerary and value.  The cruiseline isn't all that important ... well except for Carnival which is avoided at all costs.   I just booked a Princess cruise because it was all-around exactly what I wanted.  My only other experience with Princess was negative, very negative.  But mostly about their eternally- broken medallion baloney.  I know I don't like huge ships or tiny ships, 2K pax is my sweet spot.  I don't want many tender ports.  I don't care about the dining.  I want friendly, professional crew.  Value is a very important factor.  You see what I mean?  Read everything you can get your hands on.  Use your personal criteria to choose.  Set a deadline so you don't drive yourself nuts.  

9 minutes ago, PiSquared said:

, so we'll probably spend more in shore excursions. 

And it really isn't necessary to sightsee in every port using only shorex.  Some pre trip time reasearching online and on the CC forums  would inform you how sightseeing independently  in some (not necessarily all) ports can be very worthwhile as your day is tailored to suit your own personal interests, and worhwhile  savings can be made.

• Like 2

Like  @jsn55 we certainly much prefer smaller ships - Connie is the right size for us, one of Celebrity's older ships but recently re-furbed.

Yes, Celebrity is less party-party and more refined

Being NCL and being a lot bigger, Joy has all the toys but not our scene.

NCL in general is getting poor dining reviews at the moment.

As per @edinburgher's post, the Caribbean is the easiest place in the world to DIY in the ports - we Brits tend to do our own thing.

I prefer a Southern Caribbean cruise - and sailing from San Juan usually means more ports and fewer sea-days. 

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, John Bull said:

....the Caribbean is the easiest place in the world to DIY in the ports - we Brits tend to do our own thing.

As do some of us Yanks.  Haven't done a cruise sponsored tour there in 30 years. 😉

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As do some of us Yanks.  Haven't done a cruise sponsored tour there in 30 years. 😉

Hi, leaveitall,

For us, and most Brits, "DIY" means walk off the ship with only a vague idea of what we want to do (mainly using ships' excursions as a guide-book 🙄) and seeing what vans at the port are offering, or negotiating what we've decided with a taxi.

Very easy in most of the Caribbean 🙂, tolerably easy in most of SE Asia & South America 🙂, definitely not suitable for Europe 🥴.

Same for you ?

JB 🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Same for you ?

Yep.  Taxis, car rentals, local resorts (mainly for AI beach days, etc.).  But all done independently and not through the ship.  Mainly Caribbean.  Europe would depend on port of call and what is to be seen.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Connie is the right size for us, one of Celebrity's older ships but recently re-furbed.

JB, I agree with you about the size of the Connie (and her sister M-class ships), but to what recent re-furb you are referring?  The Summit and the Millie were "revolutionized" just before the pandemic, but the pandemic put that on hold for the Connie and the Infinity.  I'm reading that the Connie *will* be going into dry dock this spring after her Eastbound TA.  Unclear as to whether the full "revolution" will happen, and my research brings up conflicting information about how extensive a refurb will take place, but it seems clear something will be happening.  

Edited by Turtles06

@PiSquared-- you are considering two extremely different ships.  The Connie, as noted above, is one of Celebrity's older ships.  (No "bells and whistles" like waterslides.)  I've sailed on two of her sisters, and they are a very comfortable size.  The Connie is going into drydock this spring, so hopefully there will be a refurb, but the information on this that I've found so far seems to conflict as to how extensive that will be.  The NCL Joy is more of an amusement park at sea (which is sounds like you might enjoy), a totally different type of ship. And it carries more guests.  It does have more dining choices though.  

We've sailed both NCL and Celebrity many times, and we enjoy both lines.  Celebrity is, as you said, a bit more "sedate."  But we do like NCL's "freestyle dining," where you just walk up to the MDRs whenever  ou want to eat (you may have to wait a bit if it's a very popular time).  (Celebrity has tried to copy this with anytime ("select") dining, but unlike NCL's ships, Celebrity's ships were not purpose built for this.  NCL has more dining venues.)  And NCL is more "laid back" in terms of attire, whereas Celebrity has "evening chic" nights. 

I think only and your spouse can decide what is most important to you -- the itinerary, or the ship and cruise line -- and what cruise line you feel would be the best fit for you.   

Enjoy whatever you choose!

Personally I like the southern Caribbean route with Bonaire, Curaçao and Aruba.  Also look to avoid spring break and long school holidays to reduce crowding and lots of kids.  We enjoy Celebrity and have sailed the Constellation (lovely trip) but the trade off is do you want slides and mini golf which you will not find on Celebrity.  

I would say this is no contest: Celebrity offers better food, service and a much better itinerary. It is also a smaller (relatively) ship which I see as a plus.  Belize, Honduras and Mexico do not compare with the Southern Caribbean ports like Aruba and Curaçao - and possibly another.  Also San Juan itself is worth at least a day pre- or post cruise— a beautiful old Spanish colonial city.  We sailed that itinerary a few years ago on Celebrity’s Millenium- it is the one Caribbean itinerary we might consider doing again.  NCL does have somewhat more entertainment and “toys”;  but,  unless you pay for alternative restaurants, the food is pretty disappointing.

A balcony is nice, but I do not think the extra cost of a large aft balcony is warranted. Assuming a late evening sailaway from San Juan, a starboard side balcony is good - otherwise get up on deck as you glide out of harbor passing El Morro.

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Hi, leaveitall,

For us, and most Brits, "DIY" means walk off the ship with only a vague idea of what we want to do (mainly using ships' excursions as a guide-book 🙄) and seeing what vans at the port are offering, or negotiating what we've decided with a taxi.

Very easy in most of the Caribbean 🙂, tolerably easy in most of SE Asia & South America 🙂, definitely not suitable for Europe 🥴.

Same for you ?

JB 🙂

You can have more than a vague idea of what you want to do when you do it yourself if you research the ports before the cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

JB, I agree with you about the size of the Connie (and her sister M-class ships), but to what recent re-furb you are referring?  The Summit and the Millie were "revolutionized" just before the pandemic, but the pandemic put that on hold for the Connie and the Infinity.  I'm reading that the Connie *will* be going into dry dock this spring after her Eastbound TA.  Unclear as to whether the full "revolution" will happen, and my research brings up conflicting information about how extensive a refurb will take place, but it seems clear something will be happening.  

Hi Turtles,

Ooops😮

Came across these gushing words on a T/A's website when looking for her Carib. itinerary 

" Experience exceptional comfort and warm hospitality on Celebrity Constellation, the fourth and final ship in Celebrity Cruises' sublime Millennium Series fleet. Designed to mirror her sister ships, Celebrity Constellation has an opulent yet contemporary style. Recently revitalised with stylish upgrades, you can discover the world in new luxury."

So not my fault.😏

Nothing ever is 🙃

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Is the Southern Caribbean you are considering on the Norwegian Viva? I'll be sailing on the Viva next March (52 weeks from today). I love sailing out of San Juan...March '25  will be my 3rd time sailing from there and the itinerary has 4 islands I haven't visited yet.

We've got a regular balcony room because I can't sail in anything less. 😁

It will be my first time on NCL. I've sailed on the Connie (my first Southern Caribbean actually) and I loved Celebrity. We were originally booked to be on the Summit till Celebrity cancelled that itinerary. Since we really liked the idea of sailing from San Juan, we switched to Viva.  Yes, itinerary is most important to me, but you may decide differently.

18 hours ago, John Bull said:

Hi Turtles,

Ooops😮

Came across these gushing words on a T/A's website when looking for her Carib. itinerary 

" Experience exceptional comfort and warm hospitality on Celebrity Constellation, the fourth and final ship in Celebrity Cruises' sublime Millennium Series fleet. Designed to mirror her sister ships, Celebrity Constellation has an opulent yet contemporary style. Recently revitalised with stylish upgrades, you can discover the world in new luxury."

So not my fault.😏

Nothing ever is 🙃

JB 🙂

Well, finally I know who "Connie" is!