Live from EJ1 - Miami to Barbados 8/3 (or 3/8 if you insist) >

Noggins

That’s why on any vessel regardless of what the real estate might be we do not head for bow or aft suites. It’s just not worth it. Far better to be towards midship even if it means a smaller room. Designers play on people’s ignorance with glorious photos from aft or bow balconies but a quick internet search reveals they are not the most desirable real estate on many ships 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

What a rude awakening this morning. We arrived at our tender station early and instead of cruising around a bit, the thrusters were turned on a 6:05 am and have been running continuously since then.

We are in a Cocoon Residence at the aft of the ship on deck 6, right over the rear thrusters. Believe me it is like living right in the engine room. Noise and vibration is awful. At the price we are paying I would have thought we might be entitled to a full nights sleep.

All dead quiet this morning in 'social housing ' class on 6...

😎🤪

• Haha 3

On 3/12/2024 at 12:13 AM, Noggins said:

I know the included wine list has been posted before but I'm not certain whether the current list has changed at all. What I do know is that the Merlot and first Malbec have suited our taste best. The second Malbec isn't available.

IMG_20240310_204927051.thumb.jpg.0bb34abbdbaac1988d78c3dfe7f5626f.jpg

Our white wine preference is an oaked Chardonnay. There isn't one of those. This resulted in my wondering if, on the chargeable list, there was an affordable bottle of our ultimate favourite, a Montrachet (white burgundy made with the Chardonnay grape). There isn't one of those either....at least there is but there again there isn't.....

IMG_20240310_204943580.thumb.jpg.eb8f992dd13d829da3052acbd968f21d.jpg

Just now, vistaman said:

Charging + 300 € for a Meursault on a cruise ship is imho simply not done...

And wines from Coche Dury  and Le Montrachet by Domaine RC is maybe appropriate in a multi starred restaurant in NY , Paris or London  who are in need of a prestigious wine list .

EJ better should add some "upper medium"  wines at acceptable prices , the level of Regent, SS or Hapag Lloyd. I cannot judge SB , I wan not there since 2016.

That overpriced wine list matching with the rather poor complimenary wines is also a huge mistake by the management - i cannot understand the policy because mothercompany MSC is having decent and friendly prices on the core business . like in its Champagne bars !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I didn't realize that the numbers went down so low .....

Yes, odd that we the proletariat are so well looked after in some of the most stable and comfortable parts of the ship ..

(apart from the ruling classes depositing their bath water - ok jacuzzi water - on our terrace from time to time)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Yes, odd that we the proletariat are so well looked after in some of the most stable and comfortable parts of the ship ..

(apart from the ruling classes depositing their bath water - ok jacuzzi water - on our terrace from time to time)

I would charge you for the privilege of having Suite Water rain down from the heavens.

ps .... thanks for letting me cut in!  So sorry that we missed each other by one sailing!

1 hour ago, uktog said:

That’s why on any vessel regardless of what the real estate might be we do not head for bow or aft suites.

We have learned that lesson this trip. This is the first time that we have booked an aft facing suite. It is gorgeous but VERY noisy all day in tender ports. Unfortunately, almost all the larger suites are at the back of the ship on Explora. So I guess we will stick to Regent and Silverseas after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

. thanks for letting me cut in!  So sorry that we missed each other by one sailing

No worries - but I figured that if I told you to 'clear orf' it would have revved you up into a constant stream of your 'quality' jokes 😎

It would have been fun to meet!

49 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

We have learned that lesson this trip. This is the first time that we have booked an aft facing suite. It is gorgeous but VERY noisy all day in tender ports. Unfortunately, almost all the larger suites are at the back of the ship on Explora. So I guess we will stick to Regent and Silverseas after all.

That's a shame, Chris & Heather. It must have been annoying to form that conclusion. If Explora does not fit then you should try Crystal. No problem finding good midship accommodation there. And IMHO the product is a good step up on Silversea and Regent. I'll summarise some comparison thoughts between Crystal and Explora in due course on the Crystal board.

• Like 1

I realise I have fallen behind a bit. There is a reason but I'll leave that for now.

Last night.

I don't need to go into detail on last night's third visit to the Yacht Club but suffice to say 3 visits is fine but I don't need to see that menu a fourth time. What I haven't mentioned is the excellent bread basket - best of all the restaurants, especially the focaccia.

IMG_20240316_202419166.thumb.jpg.3c0adf2fc33bb4c5a3377f07ce1b9022.jpg

But before dinner there was a surprise. Maybe there was some Explora speak for confusing  us into thinking the 'behind the curtains' event was a talk rather than a backstage tour. There were just 10 or so of us and it was interesting to see behind the scenes. It underlined the 'show lounge ' nature of the space - it is not a theatre. But, we were told, there are early plans for significant additional investment in resident entertainers. The electronic support to staging, lighting and sound appears state of the art. Well done Explora (Michael) for taking the time to do this.

IMG_20240316_193451245.thumb.jpg.69816e9a2a3375601d22c8019b2ea3e3.jpg

The show was focused on theatre show music, following the format of previous evenings but with the addition of countless (electric) candles. We continue to enjoy the voices of Lydia and Nick.

IMG_20240316_220604616.thumb.jpg.add0047d47ebe8d8051587e79be5d9c8.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noggins said:

That's a shame, Chris & Heather. It must have been annoying to form that conclusion. If Explora does not fit then you should try Crystal. No problem finding good midship accommodation there. And IMHO the product is a good step up on Silversea and Regent. I'll summarise some comparison thoughts between Crystal and Explora in due course on the Crystal board.

Have you already cruised with the New Crystal? Since this a new company it will be interesting to see how you compare the two new companies (Explora and New Crystal).

Ivi

20 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Have you already cruised with the New Crystal? Since this a new company it will be interesting to see how you compare the two new companies (Explora and New Crystal).

Ivi

Yes, indeed, Ivi.

Symphony last Fall.

It was the Crystal we had grown to know pretty well. And the groundswell of opinion that it is back as it was but better still is what we felt.

We had a sapphire veranda suite.

That's why I feel confident to recommend.

Serenity to come.

• Like 5

Becquai today.

Firstly I have to eat my words on tender helmsmen. I don't think he got swapped in when I was seen approaching deck 3 but our man was supreme in confidence and competence. I had to check that he wasn't the Captain out for some 'small boat' fun.

Secondly, I owe our daughter an apology.

How easy it is to be a failed parent.... I was convinced I had never been here before. She tells me she bought me a very luxurious birthday lunch here when she and I had a dad / daughter cruise several years ago....

Most stops we have been the only vessel in town but today Ponant (French cruise  line if you weren't aware) had their little Le Ponant here. Looks like a fun sailing ship experience. (oo la la)

There is a lot more money here but not nearly so much that it has lost the local colour and character. (but fewer signs of homelessness and unsupported mental health issues)

Online research rather than destination luminary provided the information we needed for a very pleasant morning. 

Pictures speak louder than words...

IMG_20240317_110707223.thumb.jpg.56f9a9cf666b9741c1271cc4c559b242.jpg

IMG_20240317_111025638.thumb.jpg.61fd2a0bc1966f5af40180d033b7ff19.jpg

IMG_20240317_121359624.thumb.jpg.9951b3e161f8268b3aa0e90f73ecd8f8.jpg

IMG_20240317_112134913.thumb.jpg.8534d1c94b9d68ec8ed4657d7c9f736b.jpg

IMG_20240317_112815622.thumb.jpg.2d6f0e3bf230b7335f3cec9824a7e18d.jpg

IMG_20240317_114035435.thumb.jpg.c7bf3899a320a21ed7828d844c67e7f5.jpg

and finally, what a civilised Sunday morning venue...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noggins said:

Serenity to come

Sorry there's been some confusion over this lazily short sentence.

The Serenity I was referring to is a ship - Crystal Serenity. I wasn't referring to a possible mental nirvana that might come about with another champagne / sunset experience later. 

(You can see why I don't do Instagram too - instantly correct grammar is a tough ask. As you will have witnessed throughout.)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Sorry there's been some confusion over this lazily short sentence.

The Serenity I was referring to is a ship - Crystal Serenity. I wasn't referring to a possible mental nirvana that might come about with another champagne / sunset experience later. 

(You can see why I don't do Instagram too - instantly correct grammar is a tough ask. As you will have witnessed throughout.)

It was clear to me.   Happy (Crystal) cruising!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It was clear to me.   Happy (Crystal) cruising!

Given you're the moderator on the Crystal board I would jolly well hope so too, HJ!!

I am always surprised how many people have never even heard of Crystal. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, cruiserchuck said:

My local Costco sells Moet & Chandon champagne.  If Moet can produce enough to supply Costco, I am confident that they can produce enough to supply one small cruise ship.

Exactly this is a COST CUTTING move plain & simple making me think my upcoming Explora next month will be 1 and done 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Noggins said:

I don't need to go into detail on last night's third visit to the Yacht Club but suffice to say 3 visits is fine but I don't need to see that menu a fourth time. What I haven't mentioned is the excellent bread basket - best of all the restaurants, especially the focaccia.

IMG_20240316_202419166.thumb.jpg.3c0adf2fc33bb4c5a3377f07ce1b9022.jpg

This has proven to be my favorite restaurant.  After two visits, the bread basket is a waste.   Will order two types of desired bread and beef carpaccio.....homage to what was Prego and N/A recent time on Serenity.  Will rotate main courses.  It also underscores why 14 days is time enough on Explora.

Edited by saminina

We went to the aft pool disco event for sunset last night. It was the place that all the cool people go to. So, we kept a low profile and found a perfect hidden away spot with an uninterrupted view of the ocean. Fortunately  we were not so hidden away that champagne failed to find us. A state of serenity most definitely emerged - putting out of sync all other plans for the evening.

Being on the aft deck - a deck so many ships don't have - it did give an opportunity to review the aft facing accommodation. If you look closely one room must have such a small bathroom the tub has been put on the terrace. I hope no-one was trying to catch up on sleep following a brutal early awakening - those disco beats might have been a bit intrusive?

(if, reading between the lines, you're spotting a trace of envy you might not be entirely wrong...)

IMG_20240317_173408921.thumb.jpg.72138ebf50a1d25213e6c1d0ecee33d5.jpg

IMG_20240317_173414145.thumb.jpg.8e137168ce5411941a8221b780cfcfb7.jpg

IMG_20240317_182642547.thumb.jpg.6c81e3399b16e21a15566d3e4e75c3ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Noggins said:

If you look closely one room must have such a small bathroom the tub has been put on the terrace

That was us. Beautiful room but noisy from both the thrusters and the kids in the pool.

39 minutes ago, Noggins said:

We went to the aft pool disco event for sunset last night. It was the place that all the cool people go to. So, we kept a low profile and found a perfect hidden away spot with an uninterrupted view of the ocean. Fortunately  we were not so hidden away that champagne failed to find us. A state of serenity most definitely emerged - putting out of sync all other plans for the evening.

Being on the aft deck - a deck so many ships don't have …l

IMG_20240317_173408921.thumb.jpg.72138ebf50a1d25213e6c1d0ecee33d5.jpg

But wait - there’s more!  The aft water sports platform and bar (!) has yet to be deployed. There’s a “mystery” staircase that’s roped off just next to the Astern Lounge and aft of the Sakura entrance. The door to it has “Valletta” written on it.

(im)patiently waiting….

IMG_7570.jpeg

9 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

That was us. Beautiful room but noisy from both the thrusters and the kids in the pool.

Well, hand on heart, it was not us making a racket in the pool.....

28 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

But wait - there’s more!  The aft water sports platform and bar (!) has yet to be deployed. There’s a “mystery” staircase that’s roped off just next to the Astern Lounge and aft of the Sakura entrance. The door to it has “Valletta” written on it.

(im)patiently waiting….

IMG_7570.jpeg

For the curious...

IMG_20240318_085253694.thumb.jpg.37af8845989b5a8c7d42e325ef7c84f3.jpg

IMG_20240318_085325538.thumb.jpg.7148604aa15d6e51b0da5ed7f4a4d343.jpg

• Like 1