Jet lag getting thro time differences

Not flown long haul for about thirty years. 

Leaving the UK at 12.45hrs then 10hr flight direct to Seattle (Sea-Tac) which lands at 14.40hrs (this equates to 22.45hrs in the UK). So it will feel like a real long day. 

Are we better setting our watches to Seattle time when we board the plane or just going with the flow? We dont keep late hours at home usually in bed by 10pm as early risers due to work. 

there is an option to take a later flight landing at 17.45hrs but not my preferred airline. 

DH is a bad traveller (think toddler tired and crabby lol 😒) hence no long haul trips for a lot of years but this one will be for our Ruby anniversary so I want to make things as stress free as poss though i realise all air travel these days has its stresses.

Thanks in advance of your thoughts

All I can tell you is what works for us.

You are UK and I am Canada.

When we fly Canada to UK or European destinations, it is easier for me than coming home for me which is the direction you are flying.

However, the only way that I adjust quickly is to adopt the time zone where I land.

Landing at 14.40hrs or 17.45hrs I personally would force myself to stay up until at least 21.00hrs that day before sleeping.  I would not take a nap, regardless of whether I slept on the plane.

I do this both directions.

When landing in the afternoon, then it is walking the city, going somewhere in the city, then to a restaurant for dinner, and again force myself to stay awake.

I sleep really soundly that night and get up the next day fresh and ready to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with CDNPolar.   Your body clock needs to get on the new time.  

We do the same thing.  Go for a walk.   Have an early drink and dinner then bed about 9.   

Happy Anniversary! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Having done significant amounts of international business travel my approach is to not overthink it and absolutely never "force" myself to do anything. I let my body adjust naturally so no changing my sleep routines at home to "get ready" and no forcing myself to stay awake upon arrival. I set my watch to local time when the plane lands and if I'm tired I take a short nap after I check in.

As I don't sleep well on planes I might take a sleeping aid on an overnight flight if I'm going directly into meetings but never on a personal trip or if I have time to adjust. On the flight and for the first day or two I will be very sparing with alcohol until my body clock recalibrates. Jet lag and liquor are not a good combination.

Edited by K32682
  • Thanks 1

Re your airline seat, also look in a "comfort plus" premium economy type seat.

Depending when your cruise is, expect daylight until about 9:30 PM late June.  You might want to bring a clothespin to help secure your stateroom / hotel room's drapes.

Happy Anniversary and have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

I agree with CDNPolar.   Your body clock needs to get on the new time.  

We do the same thing.  Go for a walk.   Have an early drink and dinner then bed about 9.   

Happy Anniversary! 

Exactly!  No matter how tired you are, do not go to sleep until what would be bed time in the new time zone.  Get outside for some sunshine, hopefully, walk, shop, eat, do whatever you can to stay awake.

I did this both ends of our trip to Australia last year and had little to no jet lag, and that was after red eyes with almost no sleep on the plane.  I have done the opposite (crashed about 4 pm after a long flight) and had problems for days.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You might want to bring a clothespin to help secure your stateroom / hotel room's drapes.

One can often use the hangers that one finds in the closet.  Those "pant" hangers, with the two "clips"?  Put the hanger "vertically", and clamp the errant curtains closed, either in the middle or one at top/one lower, as needed.

Duct tape works well if the problem is at the ends, where the curtain meets (er, doesn't meet!) the wall.

GC

• Thanks 1

I take a number of long haul trips every year. Some random advice; feel free to take or ignore:

0) Have a great trip; enjoy!

1) Jet lag either happens, or it doesn’t. Just accept it. Fighting/worrying just makes it worse. Melatonin can’t hurt, and getting lots of natural sunlight always helps. 

2) Reduce flight stress by getting to the airport extra early. Plan on having a nice sit down meal with your extra time. Carry on as little as possible. 

3) Talk to your doctors about getting a few benzos (Valium, Xanax, etc.) for the flights. They make flying and sleeping on flights so much easier

4) People love to complain about flying, but long hauls can actually be enjoyable. You’ll get some food, modern in flight entertainment systems are fabulous. You can watch whatever movies you want or binge watch a tv series. 

5) If your s.o. is going to be cranky, let them know it’s ok as long as (1) it ends when the flight ends (2) there’s an apology and some making up for it when the flight is over. 

• Like 1

I can sympathise... last year we did Newcastle to Vancouver via Amsterdam. First flight was 0900 ...which meant be at the airport for 0700 which meant getting up at 0500 and arriving YVR at 1600 plus clocks ... ie 0100🤪. Arrived at the hotel around 0200 body clock time. Didn't know it is was Tuesday or Easter🙃.

We just had a quick meal and dragged out bedtime as best we could but still woke up at 0600. Unfortunately it was a case of 'live with it' for the rest of the day. We booked 2 nights pre-cruise because of the jet lag.

I will not use drugs for sleep etc.