Labadee?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So, no different than a trip to the wrong parts of many US cities?

I am more cautious in downtown LA than I am on Labadee.  

I won't even drive through Chicago.

Portland is a seething cesspool.

I could go on and on...

This fear mongering over Labadee is nonsense.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

A boat? What about a ship? Keep in mind pirates have taken over large ships (not cruise ships admittedly) at times, and I'm not talking about a hundred years ago! Holding a shipload of passengers and crew hostage could present them with both escape opportunities as well as $$$. Do I think it's likely? No. Possible? Yes and IMHO not worth the risk. I also think given the numbers of escapees it would not be that hard to crash the port area. Guards would only risk their lives so far given their likely small compensation.  Where do escaped prisoners want to go to gain the cash they need to go forward? Where the money is. Where is the most money in Haiti? It may very well be in the rich (comparatively to their country) cruisers. We are not talking a few criminals here. We are talking potentially thousands.  Keep in mind also many of them may have criminal contacts on the island as well who would be willing to help them for the big bucks. Unlikely? I also thought all the murders, smash and grabs, and car high jackings in Chicago which then moved out to middle class suburbs were Unlikely too. Until they started happening!

I hope they aren’t reading this any getting any ideas. 

Just read this is another forum...

"I talked to RC today. They said it’s a serious issue and have taken Haiti off upcoming cruises until April 8 and replaced it with CoCo Cay. They said they are most likely going to change upcoming cruises beyond 4/8 as well and our April 22nd one will likely not go to Haiti. They explained that it’s not a separate island but just a fenced off part of the mainland and guest safety comes first.

I agree it’s not as fun of a topic as other posts are but nonetheless extremely important.. nothing like this has happened there before. They have taken over airports and Haiti is reporting basically a collapse of their government."

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

"I talked to RC today. They said it’s a serious issue and have taken Haiti off upcoming cruises until April 8 and replaced it with CoCo Cay. They said they are most likely going to change upcoming cruises beyond 4/8 as well and our April 22nd one will likely not go to Haiti. They explained that it’s not a separate island but just a fenced off part of the mainland and guest safety comes first.

I agree it’s not as fun of a topic as other posts are but nonetheless extremely important.. nothing like this has happened there before. They have taken over airports and Haiti is reporting basically a collapse of their government."

If you don't mind me asking, where did you see this? I have an upcoming cruise in 2 weeks to Labadee, and would be happy to have it replaced with CoCo Cay!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

Coco Cay has two ships most days over the next couple months so they aren’t going to be able to use it as a substitute for most Labadee port stops. 

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Coco Cay has two ships most days over the next couple months so they aren’t going to be able to use it as a substitute for most Labadee port stops. 

Unless they tender one ship. That would stink.

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

They might be able to move some days around. 

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

That would be truly awful.  

As one example, on March 15, the Icon and the Mariner of the seas are already scheduled for Coco Cay.  If they cancel Labadee and move those ships to Coco Cay, that would add the Symphony to that day!  I don't even want to do the math on the number of passengers that would be on the island.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They might be able to move some days around. 

Sure, a ship here or a ship there but they aren't going to re-write the entire schedule and there still aren't enough slots in March to move all the Labadee ships to Coco Cay and still stick with only 2 ships in Coco Cay.  

There are 5 days with only 1 ship in Coco Cay for March and 19 Labadee stops left in the month of March.

Edited to add:  There is one day (March 14) with no ships in Coco Cay.  That still is only 7 slots.

Edited by prmssk

10 minutes ago, prmssk said:

As one example, on March 15, the Icon and the Mariner of the seas are already scheduled for Coco Cay.  If they cancel Labadee and move those ships to Coco Cay, that would add the Symphony to that day!  I don't even want to do the math on the number of passengers that would be on the island.

Just think of the windfall for RCI. With all the competition for those over the water cabanas the price should be astronomical... or more astronomical than usual I should say.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JackKirby said:

I feel like there are a lot of people on this thread that are ignoring the potential for disaster here. The old, "Well its never happened before, so it won't now". is always a popular theme until tragedy strikes. 

Does no one think that the recent addition of anywhere from 3000 to 4000 escaped/released prisoners to thier ranks could allow them to set thier sights on targets that until now were unrealistic? That's a lot of extra manpower. 

Can no one imagine the profit to be had from looting that resort and its tourist? Or if they chose to go further, ransoming hostages? 

It does not seem that far fetched to me. Improbable? Maybe. Impossible or even highly unlikely? No.

Here is an excerpt from an article on the attack on the airport. 

Make sure to note the phases like, "previously unthinkable targets". 

"Amid the chaos, an armored truck was sighted on the airport tarmac, engaging in a firefight with the gangs to thwart their advance. Scores of employees and bystanders fled amidst the hail of bullets, highlighting the gravity of the situation. This onslaught stands as the most significant attack on the airport in Haiti's history.

The violence erupted shortly after authorities imposed a nighttime curfew in response to recent unrest, which saw armed gangs overrunning prisons and releasing thousands of inmates. A state of emergency, spanning 72 hours, was declared as authorities sprung into action to locate and apprehend the escaped prisoners, many of whom faced serious criminal charges.

Port-au-Prince, Haiti's capital, has become a stronghold for these criminal factions, with gangs reportedly controlling up to 80% of the city. These groups, emboldened by their increasing coordination, have set their sights on previously unthinkable targets, including the Central Bank."

Now just imagine the chaos and complete breakdown of civility that would unfold if there was an attack on the resort. No one could stop thousands of intruders with guns. And it's doubtful the staff would even try. Your best hope would be that you were able to make it back to the ship without being trampled in the ensuing panic and that the boat could disembark before it was also overun and captured. 

Just saying... 

This  post is spot on !!! Of course on cruise critic along with other forms of Social Media, a lot of people don't wanna listen to reality. Also, a lot of people have never served in the Armed Forces, been in combat or Police Officers,Corrections

ETC....

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JackKirby said:

They care only in the most basic sense that they want to ensure that they don't lose money. Don't kid yourself into believing that they care about the people on board that ship or resort any farther than it would cost them in insurance claims and lawsuit settlements. 

It would be a mistake to bet your life or the life of your family based on faith in the decision making process of corporations. Never underestimate the overconfidence and stupidity of groupthink and corporations and their willingness to sacrifice people for profits. 

Don't forget the Titanic, the Titan submersible or the recall math from fight club.... 

^^This^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, master029 said:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you see this? I have an upcoming cruise in 2 weeks to Labadee, and would be happy to have it replaced with CoCo Cay!

On a Facebook group for our April cruise

1 hour ago, AandBmom said:

Do you know what time this conversation took place? We were at Labadee today on Symphony. As of this afternoon, per officers on the ship there are no plans to stop visiting Labadee. However, I understand plans/policies can and do change quickly at times.  

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

I'll be on Symphony.  there is a sea day it could be moved to when there are no ships at Coco Cay.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Do you know what time this conversation took place? We were at Labadee today on Symphony. As of this afternoon, per officers on the ship there are no plans to stop visiting Labadee. However, I understand plans/policies can and do change quickly at times.  

I don't know what time that happened at. It was just posted within the last couple of hours though.

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Tendering at Coco Cay is not really feasible anymore. The dock and infrastructure for tendering was all removed when they put the pier in. Kind doubt they would tender onto the beach. 

9 hours ago, AandBmom said:

We are there in approximately 10 days. I guess we will find out on board the ship.

Since we are already going to Nassau and CCoCay I’m thinking we will get another sea day. 

11 hours ago, AandBmom said:

For a multitude of reasons, this does not pass the smell test. For one, Labadee is many hundreds of miles from Coco Cay and you can’t just go to Coco Cay without disrupting an entire itinerary. Further, quite a few itineraries that include Labadee also include Coco Cay already. 

A sea day or somewhere in D.R. would make more sense. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

For a multitude of reasons, this does not pass the smell test. For one, Labadee is many hundreds of miles from Coco Cay and you can’t just go to Coco Cay without disrupting an entire itinerary. Further, quite a few itineraries that include Labadee also include Coco Cay already. 

A sea day or somewhere in D.R. would make more sense. 

I tend to agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Tendering at Coco Cay is not really feasible anymore. The dock and infrastructure for tendering was all removed when they put the pier in. Kind doubt they would tender onto the beach. 

Yes it is, they tendered last year and used the sports jetty (where the jet skied etc go from) to drop off/ pick up. I know someone who was there that day.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I thought I had read somewhere that when the new dock was built, the ability to tender was eliminated. Don’t ask me where I read it or if I am even remembering correctly.