suite private hot tub limit

1 minute ago, dexddd said:

The problem seems to be no notice at time of booking where the fare should be reduced off the bat.

Consider yourself lucky. Some people booked Prima and thought that they had a hot tub on their balcony only to find out later that their balcony doesn't have a hot tub....no compensation at all.

4 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I can't say how they work on Prima and Viva.

We've had both outside ones and inside, large tub like ones on the ships.  Even had tub one at home that we pulled out.

Gem outside did not have a heater, water had to be filled, drained nightly.

POA had heater and jets.  Used it most of 10 day trip on and off during the day -  had several sea days.  No one got sick and no one used it as a toilet.  Was drained daily.

Inside ones I usually do a fill, run, empty, rinse before I'll go for a spin.  Prima had a ton of jets.  Other ships similar.

I do understand if there is CDC guidance, don't think I've actually seen it posted here, they should follow it. The problem seems to be no notice at time of booking where the fare should be reduced off the bat.

You’re assuming the fare doesn’t already reflect the limitations on the tub. 

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Consider yourself lucky. Some people booked Prima and thought that they had a hot tub on their balcony only to find out later that their balcony doesn't have a hot tub....no compensation at all.

I was going to mention that but could not recall which deck got hit, think deck 10.

Thanks 

Are "hot tubs" on balconies over rated?  There is a 6 person hot tub on the balcony of the Sky Owners suite.  Read many reviews that it takes forever to fill and the heat leaves the water rather quickly and its just turns into cool water.   I think the visual and idea of a hot tub on a cruise ship balcony is more appealing that the practicality of one.

But what is it with tubs and NCL?  They removed the tubs from the spa suites and removed the tubs in some other Haven suites.  With these restrictions my mind wonders if there are stories we don't know about.

13 hours ago, erisajd said:

Where is legionella coming from if they've sanitized the HT and the only people in it are you and your immediate party? Its not coming off of you, since you don't have it on your person if you have showered in the last 24-48 hours - so where is it coming from? Are they draining the hot tubs in the public areas every hour?  No -of course not.  There an infinitely greater chance of contracting this disease in a public area vs a private hot tub on your deck.  

Just my opinion - I've been wrong before but this seems like some public health officer somewhere decided to be a butthead.  

The bacteria is not something that one catches from another person.  It is not something that "comes off" you or anyone else in the hot tub.  It isn't spread through body fluids (BTW, for the people writing about others peeling in the hot tubs, unless one has a UTI, urine is sterile.  I certainly don't want to swim or soak in it, but it won't make you sick.)  Legionella can be in the air.  The problem is it grows wonderfully in moist environments like a hot tub that is not kept at a high enough temperature.  The other problem is it spreads through air that is aerosolized and inhaled, like what's pumping through the jets and bubbling out of the water.  So limiting the amount of time for the bacteria to grow and thoroughly cleaning the tub to kill any bacteria that has grown keeps you from getting very sick or dieing.  Public hot tubs are certainly NOT more of a risk because they are chlorinated. Chlorine kills all the nasty stuff people are bringing in there, and it prevents legionella from growing.

9 hours ago, gizfish said:

The bacteria is not something that one catches from another person.  It is not something that "comes off" you or anyone else in the hot tub.  It isn't spread through body fluids (BTW, for the people writing about others peeling in the hot tubs, unless one has a UTI, urine is sterile.  I certainly don't want to swim or soak in it, but it won't make you sick.)  Legionella can be in the air.  The problem is it grows wonderfully in moist environments like a hot tub that is not kept at a high enough temperature.  The other problem is it spreads through air that is aerosolized and inhaled, like what's pumping through the jets and bubbling out of the water.  So limiting the amount of time for the bacteria to grow and thoroughly cleaning the tub to kill any bacteria that has grown keeps you from getting very sick or dieing.  Public hot tubs are certainly NOT more of a risk because they are chlorinated. Chlorine kills all the nasty stuff people are bringing in there, and it prevents legionella from growing.

Who would set foot in a hot tub, private or not, that is not chlorinated?  You're telling us that the private hot tubs on cruise ships in cabins are NOTR chlorinated?  I find that hard to believe.  I'm not being obnoxious, I'm just saying that its simply not possible given CDC and other generally accepted health requirements that any HT on board a cruise ship would not have some chlorine or bromine or some other disinfection agent applied - in which case - even you admit the chance of spread of legionella is basically zero.

Yes - its aerosolized - 

22 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Are "hot tubs" on balconies over rated?  There is a 6 person hot tub on the balcony of the Sky Owners suite.  Read many reviews that it takes forever to fill and the heat leaves the water rather quickly and its just turns into cool water.

We’ve stayed in a Sky Owners Suite, and never had a problem with the hot tub staying hot, and didn’t notice it taking any longer to fill than any other pool/tub of that size.

We will always book a suite with a private hot tub if that option is available, since I love hot tubs but I hate the madhouse and “people soup” that is the public hot tubs on the pool deck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erisajd said:

Who would set foot in a hot tub, private or not, that is not chlorinated?  You're telling us that the private hot tubs on cruise ships in cabins are NOTR chlorinated?  I find that hard to believe.  I'm not being obnoxious, I'm just saying that its simply not possible given CDC and other generally accepted health requirements that any HT on board a cruise ship would not have some chlorine or bromine or some other disinfection agent applied - in which case - even you admit the chance of spread of legionella is basically zero.

Yes - its aerosolized - 

That is why the hour limit and the draining requirement. 

1 hour ago, erisajd said:

Yes - its aerosolized - 

I would rather be in a sterilized tub with fresh water than the "people soup" ones with hundreds of bodies per day even though its chlorinated .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, erisajd said:

Yes - its aerosolized - 

Um how do you propose they chlorinate or add whatever disinfectant to a tub on a private balcony?  They are not the same as public tubs and pools which are kept filled with water that has the proper amount of additive until it's draining and cleaning time.  The private tubs get filled with the same water you would fill an in suite bath tub with.  Just like the indoor spa tubs in spa rooms, the private tubs are filled by the cabin occupants.  Well, they were till the housekeeping fill empty clean thing was put in place.  I have yet to hear of a butler explaining how to use the Nespresso machine and then going on to explain how to add the proper chemicals to the spa tub.  So yes. I am telling you private tubs are NOT chlorinated.

Never had a hint of chemicals in a private hot tub or an in bathroom jetted bath.  Hence why I do a dry run.

They used to even have a $500 in room roses and champagne deal with you in your in room tub.  No thanks.