Solstice penthouse or Apex royal suite

Ok I know real world problems here- but we haven’t cruised in about 8 years so want to get the make the best choice possible for the money we are spending on our cabin. For background we have only sailed on millennium class ships in the past so never sailed on any ship in the solstice or newer ship like Apex.   We have done both the royal suite and penthouse on the millennium class ships so needless to say hubby is spoiled now for life lol.  We currently are considering a transatlantic sailimg on the solstice in a penthouse or a different transatlantic sailing on the Apex in a royal suite . Can anyone chime in as to pros of going on newer ship like the apex with the private “ retreat” areas and expanded dining options vs one on the solstice which seems very similar to the millennium class in terms of Michael’s club / and no designated retreat area .  Trying to decide if giving up the space of the penhouse on solstice  for a smaller cabin on apex is worth it to be able to truly experience the new features celebrity has rolled out since we last cruised. For context - we do spend a good bit of time in our cabin and don’t attend nightly shows and often take advantage of specialty and in room dining. My husband and both have demanding jobs and schedules so by selecting a sea day heavy I timerary it forces us to unwind and relax and we do enjoy good food and wine ! 😎 Any insight /advice/tips or experiences would greatly be welcomed! 

Posted (edited)

I've been on S-class twice and Beyond once.  Booked Millennium in December but now I wonder if it will be too small and sleepy.  I don't know.

Edge class aka Apex is nice in a suite.  We were in a Accessible Sky Suite on Beyond.  Huge.  We don't need anything bigger but we'll see.  

Apex would have Le Voyage and Eden, yes?  What about Tuscan?  Eden was great with a view of the wake.  Food was pretty good.  Le Voyage was dark but service was good.  I did the wine pairing and they let my husband have some of it.

On S-class we've been in Murano and Tuscan.  My husband prefers Tuscan, more light, good service.  I prefer Murano, better food, decent service, but a little dark and no view, like Le Voyage.  We were in Aqua/Blu on Eclipse.

We tried the Daniel Boulud dinner on Eclipse since there is no Le Voyage. It wasn't the right mix of folks, a family with older kids and they didn't make good conversation, although we tried.  My husband wasn't crazy about the DB dinner so he may not agree to do it again on Millie.  I didn't realize that Millie doesn't have Murano but we will be in the Retreat, in a regular Sky Suite this time, so I guess it's no great loss.

Edited by zitsky
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Without knowing anything about the cost, the itineraries, the ports, the embarkation and disembarkation point, I say solstice

The intineraries are both similar both transatlantic one is 12 nights (Fort Lauderdale to London) which is solstice 

the other is 13 nights on apex transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona. Same stops on each only the apex ends up in Spain and solstice ends up in London. Cost wise the penthouse on solstice is only about $2000 less overall vs royal on apex which is $2000 more but keep in mind you also have one additionally night on board albeit in a smaller cabin. Thank you for responding - thoughts ?

42 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Without knowing anything about the cost, the itineraries, the ports, the embarkation and disembarkation point, I say solstice

I agree! Solstice Penthouse is breathtaking and location is mid ship which makes it easy to get to all areas easily. The outside deck is large and quiet.

Personally, I would go with the PH.  Itineraries/cost don't seem to be of much concern to you.  Like you, we tend to spend time in the suite and enjoy dining in Specialty and in the suite.  We also prefer the heavy on the sea day experience to unwind and leave the world behind.  For the size of the suite and the "feeling" that you will "own the ship", go with the PH. 

Peanut head 

Thanks for the insight, I realize everyone cruises for different reason and thus why I wanted to share a little background as to the “why” 

curious - have you sailed on both classes of ships and or Millenium class - do you have a favorite ?  Of course nothing quite tops the penthouse in the millenium class with the super huge balcony;)

3 hours ago, JayJennyFL said:

Ok I know real world problems here- but we haven’t cruised in about 8 years so want to get the make the best choice possible for the money we are spending on our cabin. For background we have only sailed on millennium class ships in the past so never sailed on any ship in the solstice or newer ship like Apex.   We have done both the royal suite and penthouse on the millennium class ships so needless to say hubby is spoiled now for life lol.  We currently are considering a transatlantic sailimg on the solstice in a penthouse or a different transatlantic sailing on the Apex in a royal suite . Can anyone chime in as to pros of going on newer ship like the apex with the private “ retreat” areas and expanded dining options vs one on the solstice which seems very similar to the millennium class in terms of Michael’s club / and no designated retreat area .  Trying to decide if giving up the space of the penhouse on solstice  for a smaller cabin on apex is worth it to be able to truly experience the new features celebrity has rolled out since we last cruised. For context - we do spend a good bit of time in our cabin and don’t attend nightly shows and often take advantage of specialty and in room dining. My husband and both have demanding jobs and schedules so by selecting a sea day heavy I timerary it forces us to unwind and relax and we do enjoy good food and wine ! 😎 Any insight /advice/tips or experiences would greatly be welcomed! 

Did one TA on Edge in the Edge Villa, I’d take a RS or PH on Solstice over Edge for sure.  My next TA is on Eclipse in RS .

2 minutes ago, JayJennyFL said:

Liao, just curious of your reasoning for preferring RS or PH on solstice vs say edge class ship ?  

We stayed in the Edge Villa, two story with bedroom upstairs, did not like that at all, though overall the suite is lovely.  Friends were in a RS which was very nice room layout but the only way to access the balcony was through the bedroom and the balcony was very long and super narrow to the point you literally had to squeeze by a person if they were standing.  The Retreat pool deck was quite nice but almost no shade, bad for a non sun worshipper.  The ship itself was very very nice but I do prefer a more “classic” style.  RS on Eclipse (even though it needs a refresh) just seems more warm and cozy, if that makes sense?  The grand open spaces seem so welcoming.

We chose an S class PH for two cooler/possibly more wave movement cruises (Norway and British Isles). It was an ideal choice. Whilst it lacks the massive deck of the M class which we love it does have two advantages over M class. Firstly it’s central position means it copes well with rougher seas and secondly those window give amazing views! The fact the balcony is relatively narrow means that you can on long wet/windy/miserable sea days rearrange the furniture and look out at an ever changing Turner masterpiece. The area just outside the bedroom is covered and even on wet days (as long as the wind is in the right direction) you can sit out with blankets and enjoy.

I have not personally cruised on E class so will not comment on the RS, hopefully people with personal experience can describe its strengths as I have for the S class PH.

• Like 1

Choosing ships I would pick the Apex over the Solstice.  The E class ships are beautiful, more specialty dining venues, although LeVoyage is not on the Edge or the Apex.  The theater is state of the art, entertainment is better and there are more options.

We love the Retreat Sun Deck bar and the ability to get lunch there.  DH is not a sun person but there is comfy seating in area with some shade.

The Royal Suite is lovely but as mentioned the balcony is long narrow and only accessible through the bedroom.  

We have a TA booked on the Apex and are considering changing to the Ascent as the Beyond and the Ascent have some changes that made them even better than the Edge and Apex.

1 hour ago, JayJennyFL said:

Peanut head 

Thanks for the insight, I realize everyone cruises for different reason and thus why I wanted to share a little background as to the “why” 

curious - have you sailed on both classes of ships and or Millenium class - do you have a favorite ?  Of course nothing quite tops the penthouse in the millenium class with the super huge balcony;)

We have sailed on Constellation PH, and RS, and nothing beats the balcony of the Millenium class, with the exception (possible) of the Iconic Suite.  We have also sailed on Equinox and Silhouette PH, and RS, and enjoyed the layout of their PH and more Specialty dining options.  We will be back in the Constellation PH this fall.  Autumn of 2025 we will be in the Ascent Edge Villa (1st time for both) and are reserved for the PH Solstice in Autumn 2026. 

In regards to our favorite, we don't really have one.  Once we board, we give ourselves over to the experience and enjoy each it to the fullest.  We are very fortunate that we can avail ourselves to the luxury and try our best to find true enjoyment in everything we do...and not do.

No matter what you choose, you will not make a mistake.  Enjoy the preparation, the journey and the memories.😊

I can’t speak to the PH on S-class, but DH and I did sail in the RS on Edge in March 2022. And we did have some lovely sunset cocktails on an M-class PH balcony (thank you, @l_n_m!)

I agree with others that the balcony in the RS on E-class ships is very disappointing, especially compared to the PH on M-class, which was phenomenal! The rest of the suite was lovely, especially the luxurious bathroom. 

Although we have no experience with The Retreat amenities on other class ships, we have really enjoyed the dedicated facilities on E-class, especially the Retreat Lounge and Sundeck. I would miss them on other ships.

As to dining, our experiences in Luminae have been mixed. On our last cruise on Ascent in The Retreat, we opted to ah e several dinners and breakfasts in Blu. Happily, we were easily accommodated.

PH every time for me...

Why?? Well, in my opinion...

If you plan on spending time in your room I would go for the PH on S class. I have been in the E class RS twice (will not book again) and prefer the S class RS. I find so many design failures in the E class RS. Take a look at the layout and photos on Cruise deck Plans and notice the limited living area compared to bedroom/bathroom area. Also, there is very little isolation between the sleeping and living space - translucent doors! I find the living area nicer in the RS on the S class and the entire layout more functional and comfortable. The E class PH was very nice with great isolation between living and sleeping area, but I didn't need the second bedroom - so that was wasted space for me.

The PH on the S class you are asking about is excellent! Great space for living, sleeping, and entertaining! You will receive elevated attention compared to staying in a RS. I will be in the PH on the Solstice beginning in a week and I am looking forward to it. Part of my sailing will be a transpacific so the central location is best for movement. The balcony is fine for me, certainly not like the M class, but the room is nicer overall. One nice perk that I have experienced when staying in the S class PH is a no extra charge cabana to be used every day! Nice place for drinks/lunch and just enjoying your time. I'm not sure if this is still offered and it is not listed anywhere that I know of. 

I find the E class much more spectacular looking but not as comfortable. The Ascent has improved over the Apex and I still find more comfortable seating on the S class. The E class has so many suites that I find the lounge and Luminae not as nice as on the S class. The E class sundeck is way better than the non existent or retrofitted ones on the M/S class. E class has much more in the way of specialty dining options. You can book Murano every day on the S class and they will make off menu items so that may be of some consolation. 

If the choice was PH to PH then I would probably book the E class mainly because I have not sailed that class very much. However, RS vs PH on the ships you considering? PH all the way for me! I am not sure of the pricing on these sailings but you may want to consider a true luxury line like Regent or Silversea. There are many threads addressing Celebrity Retreat vs luxury lines that may be worth reading. I really enjoy sailing on Celebrity and enjoy the luxury lines more at this point in my life - and they are often less expensive. Each has their benefits and if you ever do a Panama Canal sailing the M class PH is the best! I'm happy to answer specific questions.

Solstice ....   S class are wonderful and the Penthouse is amazing. Luminae on S class FAR better than on the Edge class ships, smaller, more intimate and you have MDR menus to pick from while Edge class does not.  

Since you are not big "show" goers and enjoy your suite I don't think there's any question that Solstice is the better choice.

And while you don't have a "retreat" area you do have Michael's Club for drinks & snacks as a suite guest.

18 hours ago, peanut head said:

Personally, I would go with the PH.  Itineraries/cost don't seem to be of much concern to you.  Like you, we tend to spend time in the suite and enjoy dining in Specialty and in the suite.  We also prefer the heavy on the sea day experience to unwind and leave the world behind.  For the size of the suite and the "feeling" that you will "own the ship", go with the PH. 

16 hours ago, Liao said:

Did one TA on Edge in the Edge Villa, I’d take a RS or PH on Solstice over Edge for sure.  My next TA is on Eclipse in RS .

Thanks to everyone with their responses and experiences / opinions . It helped tremendously!   We ended up booking the penthouse on eclipse (I thought it was solstice but still in same class ) .  The appeal as one poster said of the larger cabin since we spend so much time there won out over the allure of a newer retreat style ship in a royal suite . Plus with us not attending shows in the evenings the expanded entertainment venues/options on E class wasn’t really a draw.  Will let you all know once back with a full review ! Sailing is 3/2025.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayJennyFL said:

Thanks to everyone with their responses and experiences / opinions . It helped tremendously!   We ended up booking the penthouse on eclipse (I thought it was solstice but still in same class ) .  The appeal as one poster said of the larger cabin since we spend so much time there won out over the allure of a newer retreat style ship in a royal suite . Plus with us not attending shows in the evenings the expanded entertainment venues/options on E class wasn’t really a draw.  Will let you all know once back with a full review ! Sailing is 3/2025.  

Congratulations on your decision, enjoy your cruise and that beautiful PH suite!  When in March are you sailing?  We are on the TA March 22, 2025.

Too funny that’s the same one we are booked on so you must be in the other penthouse !! 
past sailing we did we became great friends with the couple in the other penthouse and even hosted a Panama Canal crossing party together - it was a lot of fun ! Looking forward to meeting you;) 

Sorry you said you are in a Royal suite this time. We are on the starboard penthouse so someone must have grabbed the port one early. If you see it open up lmk;) 

You should join the roll call. I just commented in there that we booked 😉 and introduced ourselves thus far only 2 other me members besides us . 

8 minutes ago, JayJennyFL said:

Sorry you said you are in a Royal suite this time. We are on the starboard penthouse so someone must have grabbed the port one early. If you see it open up lmk;) 

We are also on starboard but one deck below you, so probably in the RS just below your PH on deck 11.

1 minute ago, Liao said:

We are also on starboard but one deck below you, so probably in the RS just below your PH on deck 11.

Do you know for sailing this direction if starboard will be facing land or water most of the time? I didn’t bother researching as there was only the one penthouse available. Curious as to how the weather will be as we head towards England hoping we can enjoy our balcony some 😉

3 minutes ago, JayJennyFL said:

Do you know for sailing this direction if starboard will be facing land or water most of the time? I didn’t bother researching as there was only the one penthouse available. Curious as to how the weather will be as we head towards England hoping we can enjoy our balcony some 😉

I'm thinking for the most part it will be ocean facing.  Also, I messaged you in the roll call.  I see you are going to Italy following the cruise.  Check my message in the roll call, I will have some information for you.