What Happened to the Buffet?

Posted (edited)

Princess, is Buffet now a bad word?

Family Style is sitting around a table with many dishes to choose from, think Chinese restaurant. 

The B word appears on March 17th, you think they would've had some corned beef and cabbage.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 9.06.52 PM.png

Edited by startedwithamouse

Looks like they want to give the buffet a new image.

I don't really care as long as the quality remains the same.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 555 said:

Looks like they want to give the buffet a new image.

I don't really care as long as the quality remains the same.

Think the point was March 17th is St Patrick's Days. I just go for the green beer.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hope you're enjoying your cruise!

I'd call them on it.

I was watching a Gary Bembridge Youtube video yesterday and one of the things he mentioned passengers should do is speak up when things are off. The crew not knowing food service creates a feeling they don't know what they're doing.  The company shouldn't send that message, it's constructive.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

Ohh the Buffet is now referred to as a Family Style, we so fancy Princess lol.

Question, if I want to eat alone do I need to go elsewhere hehehe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Princess, is Buffet now a bad word?

Family Style is sitting around a table with many dishes to choose from, think Chinese restaurant. 

The B word appears on March 17th, you think they would've had some corned beef and cabbage.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 9.06.52 PM.png

Isn’t that odd?  Family style is sitting around a table, passing dishes around.  Maybe they don’t know the meaning?  😂 

The F & B manager OB, is from Turkey, he would get a chuckle out of this.  

Hey…look…the last sea day is a seafood “buffet”!  Yeah!

Have a great cruise…family style.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Agree.  Family style means a huge platter of chicken parm that gets passed around and everyone takes what they want.  What they are really creating with various food stations is a Food Court.  Someone in corporate must think that "Buffet" connotes a free meal that you get with a coupon in a cheap Vegas hotel, or on some other, "less classy" cruise line.  Time for someone in Santa Clarita to go back to English Lit:

What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Isn’t that odd?  Family style is sitting around a table, passing dishes around.  Maybe they don’t know the meaning?  😂 

Better yet, a SEE FOOD buffet - LEFTOVERS!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Hope you're enjoying your cruise!

I'd call them on it.

I was watching a Gary Bembridge Youtube video yesterday and one of the things he mentioned passengers should do is speak up when things are off. The crew not knowing food service creates a feeling they don't know what they're doing.  The company shouldn't send that message, it's constructive.

Not on Sapphire yet. 

I don't call anyone on anything written onboard a ship, when English is their second language. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 4

Princess should re-think calling the buffet, a family style restaurant.  They need to remember the failure of Share by Curtis Stone, which was that specialty dining's concept.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

I'm even named after St Patrick, but be that as it may, I would take a seafood buffet over Corned beef and cabbage 🤮

I love good Corned Beef. You can keep the garbage - er cabbage. This just reminds me that I need to pick up a brisket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Princess should re-think calling the buffet, a family style restaurant.  They need to remember the failure of Share by Curtis Stone, which was that specialty dining's concept.

Yeah, family style is definitely not the best description.  However, one of the best meals we ever  had on Princess was at Share... 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, memoak said:

On deck plans the word buffet doesn’t exist. Horizon Court or Marketplace yes but not buffet 

On Star it is now the eatery -  all lower case. Whatever. 🙄

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

To me, Family Style is a lot of yelling and throwing of food.

That was my boyfriends italian family dinner style. 

Afterwards my style was pepto bismol as I drove home and broke up with him. 

• Like 1

Ummmmmm, AFIK Sapphire Princess does not have a World Fresh Marketplace That is on the Royal class ships, the new Sun has The Eatery.  Sapphire has Horizon Court.  It is a BUFFET.  It is not food stations from around the world.  There may be special dishes from select countries available.  In my 600 days I have never known Princess to have "family style" dining in their buffets.  Share, that failed was supposedly "family style"  It was a specialty venue(I never tried it)  AM I not getting this?  Have they suddenly changed the Sapphire into what is described in the OP? Does no one up chain have to approve communication that goes to the passengers? Maybe not.  I am kind of getting a chuckle out of this. 

From the Princess website deck plans, Lido (deck 14)

image.png.c5308b80f76e257777d3ea8657e6bd59.png

16 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Not on Sapphire yet. 

I don't call anyone on anything written onboard a ship, when English is their second language. 

Well said.  And just as relevant, a different culture. They are all trying to do their best.  There isn't any way that they can know and  cater to every language and culture on board.  That is part of the fun of travel, experiencing different languages and cultures.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I think we are in the minority, but certainly not the only ones who generally eat "family style" when eating at a "buffet" (which we try to avoid). We bring different plates to the table and share from them rather than each getting individual plates of food which is more like eating family style. I've certainly seen others eat this was as well when in the buffet.

Maybe by calling it "family style" they are trying to encourage more plate saring? maybe less waste? 

Edited by rodndonna
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I think we are in the minority, but certainly not the only ones who generally eat "family style" when eating at a "buffet" (which we try to avoid). We bring different plates to the table and share from them rather than each getting individual plates of food which is more like eating family style. I've certainly seen others eat this was as well when in the buffet.

Maybe by calling it "family style" they are trying to encourage more plate saring? maybe less waste? 

Great take on that term!  Yes, it could be considered family style in that case.

You do see that sometimes. 

Posted (edited)

We were on the Regal in January and there was a section in the 'buffet' for kids, with chicken fingers, French fries, and other kid-friendly foods.  Maybe that's part of what they are referring to?  'Something for everyone' in an easy to access venue.....

Edit to add -- here's the same notice we got on the Regal that I posted in my semi-live from thread.  Same terminology as the one posted by the OP for Sapphire.  

20240123_094719.jpg.c559817bdaee099d99b6d9cc43269ea5.jpg

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1