LIVE from the SUN Princess - 9 Mar 2024 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Second Voyage

7 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

The beef welly was the best I’ve had in over two dozen Princess cruises. Unbelievably tender. 

Have you tasted the included Princess Favorites 6 Oz Filet?

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 10:40 PM, CanadianBurger said:

Our Cabin

We booked a standard balcony, but the day before we left, we unexpectedly got an email saying we were upgraded to a Reserve Collection minisuite!

I hope you don't mind me asking, however had you placed a Bid (& then paid for) for that upgrade, or was it free?

(I'm trying to gauge whether Princess offer free upgrades at times, or whether all upgrades are now by Bid only)

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, StevenW said:

I hope you don't mind me asking, however had you placed a Bid (& then paid for) for that upgrade, or was it free?

(I'm trying to gauge whether Princess offer free upgrades at times, or whether all upgrades are now by Bid only)

Thanks!

We did not bid on an upgrade. It was an unexpected surprise. And there was no extra charge. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

I’m putting the “new take” of the French onion soup in its own post because it’s so bad. Epic fail. The bowl comes with a piece of bread with a bit of cheese. Then the soup gets glopped on top. What a hot mess. All the soups on the Sun are now served at the table in a small pitcher poured into the bowl.

IMG_3383.thumb.jpeg.7d649777890abf9fd93a574171a7d551.jpeg

IMG_3385.thumb.jpeg.9715310df816dd97110279b524f1f102.jpeg

All of the money that they save on cheese will have to go towards cleaning the passengers clothing. What a mess! 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

I’m putting the “new take” of the French onion soup in its own post because it’s so bad. Epic fail. The bowl comes with a piece of bread with a bit of cheese. Then the soup gets glopped on top. What a hot mess. All the soups on the Sun are now served at the table in a small pitcher poured into the bowl.

Oh my that is wrong on so many levels. C’mon PRINCESS this is not how you do French Onion Soup!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

All of the money that they save on cheese will have to go towards cleaning the passengers clothing. What a mess! 

I was thinking the same thing! Princess is going to be dry cleaning a lot of their passengers clothes after the soup shower.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

IMG_3384.mov 29.69 MB · 13 downloads  

Much easier on kitchen staff, harder on wait staff. 

Tableside preparations should be left to Lawry's. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Have you tasted the included Princess Favorites 6 Oz Filet?

I was wondering the same thing.  The upcharge isn't bad at all but by the same token there has been enough that looks good on these dinner menus that I probably wouldn't feel the need to pay for something more.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Only 10 and 11 are accessible to passengers. The forward-facing cabins on 12 are officer’s cabins, and along with the access door to the outside deck, are behind a Crew Only door. I peeked for a second. 14 doesn’t seem to have the access doors. I watched sail away from this area on 11 tonight. Keep the interesting places to explore coming!

IMG_3373.thumb.jpeg.eda91ea9e79fa652423bdc0a96facde4.jpeg

IMG_3372.thumb.jpeg.884dce0e892d5b4b618e871ef0f06097.jpeg

IMG_3377.thumb.jpeg.ef1bdaef0a2305164d91f0d9e9cdd064.jpeg

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this. I’m glad to see there are a lot of out of the way public decks on the ship. 

Posted (edited)

Ohhh my....  Watching them try to pour that 'glop' with semi-solid onions out of that pitcher, designed for liquid, into that bowl...  And, the brown color as well...  something just nasty about that visual.

Just WRONG....

I have no problem with a pourable soup...  But it has to make sense.

French onion soup is NOT supposed to be prepared this way.

But, how did it taste...was that shredded cheese over that bread?

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I was wondering the same thing.  The upcharge isn't bad at all but by the same token there has been enough that looks good on these dinner menus that I probably wouldn't feel the need to pay for something more.

It appears to me there is no upcharge for the steak but $10 to add a lobster tail.

image.png.b50389430336736e9861b48484dcf24a.png

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

It appears to me there is no upcharge for the steak but $10 to add a lobster tail.

image.png.b50389430336736e9861b48484dcf24a.png

Ah you are right Frank!  Didn't catch the fine print.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

IMG_3384.mov 29.69 MB · 15 downloads  

It looks terrible and what a mess. I guess you can say they are trying. Maybe next the real thing.🤷‍♂️

Tableside Service may be a Reserve Dining Room upgrade as it is on other ships that offer "Club Class" where Tableside presentation is common practice. It would be great to have a MDR passenger tell us their experience. Do we know for a fact that the menu in the Reserve restaurant is the same as the MDR as a previous poster stated? I think we'll need a side by side comparison to actually tell if they're the same. CanadianBurger has done enough already, Lord knows, so I hate to ask him to do it but... maybe someone else will take up the cause on out behalf.

32 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

45.00 + 18% gratuity.   Remember, Spellbound is only 149.00 + 18% as well.

45.00 + 18% gratuity for 6 cocktails is not a bad deal.

My problem with Spellbound is I don’t want to have dinner there in front of a magician, I just want to try the bar.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

So disappointed that there isn’t a different menu for the Reserve and Signature restaurants from the MDR. Princess can’t seem to get these things right. 

So I remember the question being asked if the menus were the same in all three restaurants but i don't remember @CanadianBurger or anyone else answering it.

19 minutes ago, chamima said:

So I remember the question being asked if the menus were the same in all three restaurants but i don't remember @CanadianBurger or anyone else answering it.

The night they went first to the MDR and then to the Reserve dining room, @CanadianBurger said there was at least one extra dish in the latter.

6 minutes ago, Pixelskaya said:

The night they went first to the MDR and then to the Reserve dining room, @CanadianBurger said there was at least one extra dish in the latter.

Ok . Thanks. That answers about the Reserve but I don't think anyone has commented about the Signature dining room.

21 minutes ago, chamima said:

It's difficult to assess when 1 poster only goes to one dining room.  However, comparing the Captain's Welcome dinner shared on FB for the inaugural with CanadianBurger's Reserve Dining menu from the second cruise:

comparecdw1.thumb.jpg.4adfc5c5d7a48318ea83fc4aaaa7e9d7.jpg

comparecdw2.thumb.jpg.4a16360f442612476dbc3398b67f524f.jpg

It looks like the main differences are:

- where the MDR gets Shrimp or Prawns, the Reserve Restaurant gets Lobster

- a different Princess Favourites dish  (Fettucini Alfredo appeared on most of the MDR menus from the inaugural)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1